SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 327 Posts

·
The-Real-Link!!
907 Posts
Yeah was seeing that post acting like it's brand new /shrug. Unless things got approved but you'd be hearing headlines from some journal sources with a project this large.

·
read lightship chronicles
3,046 Posts
From cityscape today

That sky slope is so ugly. It looks like an after thought. They should have given it some snaking curves to give it a slope like feel. And those pylons it stands on could also be a few more towers. It would be a much more intriguing structure if it was all integrated. Think how would Zaha Hadid or Calatrava would have designed it. Not to that extreme but with a bit more flare.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It seems the metro is among the slowest growing parts of Dubai. The new line to the EXPO 2020 site has been the only extension of the metro for many years. People always tell me that Dubai is a "car city" like Los Angeles, but at least all major projects like this one should have a decent metro access.

I haven't heard anything about the Golden Line for a while. It is not even mentioned in the Wikipedia article about the Dubai Metro. I really hope they build that metro line when it is still possible very easily. However on the recent satellite photos no tunnel construction is visible, although the mall is already overground.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is unfortunately very unlikely to be built. The developer has had projects like these in the past but never saw the light of day.
But this is allready much more completed than the previous ones. Mall is coming along and the Lagoon-Part is also pretty much ongoing.
Why allways so negative if it is U/C. If it is on hold, you can start to say some things, but if it is fully U/C, there is not really a reason too.:banana:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This will never be built. Should have a separate section for these visions unlikely to happen
I think it's a little too pessimistic to say this will never be built. Out of all the various megatall proposals, this has got to advanced stages of design, the site is ready, and the city is full of supertalls and developers who have the means to build them. While its construction isn't really certain, Dubai One certainly isn't the poster child for pipe dream projects either. There are many proposals out there that have far less substance behind them.

EDIT: I see that you changed your wording. Too bad that I already made this long reply to the second sentence of your original post.

However, I think I agree with the general gist of your message. At some point when Burj Khalifa and Abraj al-Bait were finished, and Shanghai Tower, Ping An IFC and Wuhan Greenland Center were rising, megatalls appeared to become a regular thing. There were proposals to build them all over the place. Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Jakarta, Chicago, Moscow, Jeddah, Seoul, Shenzen, Guangzhou... sites were prepped, drawings were drawn, it really seemed like the age of megatalls was coming. CTBUH defined the term, and it felt only natural to have a separate subforum for all those megatalls that were coming.

And then, those projects fell by the wayside one by one. The tally still stands at three megatalls built in the world, with a fourth under construction - one whose roof height will be well below 500 m. The reality seems to be that megatalls are generally impractical and economically unfeasible, and there simply won't be many of them built in the foreseeable future. There aren't enough people who want to buy them. However, they have been demonstrated to be technically feasible to build, so proposals aren't held back by the limits of engineering. If investors can be found, megatalls can be built. For this reason, we still see a lot of megatall proposals, even though few of them make it to reality.

So in the end, I think the Megatalls section will naturally transform into what you are looking for. A section solely for proposals, as the KL117 thread will be moved to the archives once construction is complete. Maybe another project will have started up by then, but I don't know. Maybe then, this forum could be named "Proposed Megatalls", made a subforum of Supertalls, and if any construction actually starts, the thread could just be placed in the Supertalls section. Because I don't think there will be many enough megatalls under construction any time soon to warrant their own subforum.

·
19,307 Posts
The difference is that megatalls will never be archived when completed. The thread of Burj Khalifa is still here.
That's more about it being the world's tallest building. We could probably dig up the Shanghai Tower and Mecca Clock Tower threads to bring in more traffic, but that might draw discussion away from all the other threads for prospective megatalls. It's a discussion worth having, so let's move it to here: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1916572&page=10

·
I Love Chicago!
11,087 Posts
No tapering!? That would be impressive. It looks like Goldin Finance 117 to me.

Also, that ski slope is pretty impressive. A giant ski slope in the middle of the city!

281 - 300 of 327 Posts