SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
9,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... yes that's right, it's not an april fool's joke it's real and it's ugly. What this is is a massice project called AL BAWADI that was just released. It's supposed to be a collection of hotels designed to accomodate the rapidly growing number of tourists visiting Dubai each year. However now we know that these hotels will actually be replicas of the tallest buildings in the world, yes that's right, these guys aim to build replicas of Taipei 101, Bank of China, Petronas and many more. And wait for it, there is even a plan to build a replica of BURJ DUBAI!! From the picture of the model the don't look short either.

As an architecture and skyscraper fan I'm horrified that such a project could actually be built. It's the biggest insult that could be done to someone who actually has any interest in good quality and ORIGINAL design. The work of so many architects who have designed towers in Dubai and elsewhere is going to be shat upon by this project that will ruin the idea of the world's tallest building. It's such a pity since Dubai's reputation as a city of great modern architecture will be ruined and also it could suffer in other areas too. Basically, I think it's our duty as skyscraper enthusiasts to do as much as possible to stop this from going through. The least we could do is spread the word and create as much bad press as possible in the hope that they'll realise such a project will actually have a negative effect on their economy. I know I'm being way too optimistic but at least it's something we could do since word of mouth is the best marketing technique. I was going to visit Dubai but if this is built I'll never visit. I know I'll be telling that to everyone I know aswell.

More details of the project here

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
This will intensify the Disneyland ambience in Dubai.

·
Premium Member
16,252 Posts
^^ They're in Paris.

·
No More Italian Mod
39,863 Posts
What's strange with this?

In SimCity is perfectly normal after your city grows up and the City Council earns enough money you can spend it to buy famous world's buildings as Cheope's Pyramid or Eiffel Tower or Taipei 101...

Then in Dubai's SimCity they came at this level of the game

Next level: megarobots invasion

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,077 Posts
We are lucky they haven't decided to rebuild the World Trade Center... :weirdo: :runaway:

If they have so much money, why don't they build something original?

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
As an overrated city without any urban planning and completly this doesn't surprise me.Fake City did it again but now they became truly hilarious.
Dubai is like Abramovich with Chelsea ; many dreams but no results outside their own yards

Finally it happenend , Dubai just realized what I always tought from the beginning , a gigantic bubble of wet dreams.This city has made itself so ridiculous , it is beyond imagination.

Welcome to Las Vegas by the sea , goodbye Dubai you wont get any attention from me never again.

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,292 Posts
De Snor said:
As an overrated city without any urban planning and completly this doesn't surprise me.Fake City did it again but now they became truly hilarious.
Dubai is like Abramovich with Chelsea ; many dreams but no results outside their own yards

Finally it happenend , Dubai just realized what I always tought from the beginning , a gigantic bubble of wet dreams.This city has made itself so ridiculous , it is beyond imagination.

Welcome to Las Vegas by the sea , goodbye Dubai you wont get any attention from me never again.
^^

Well said....

·
+90 TR - Eurasia
2,536 Posts
De Snor said:
Dubai is like Abramovich with Chelsea ; many dreams but no results outside their own yards.
Well, Champion of CL 04-05 :|

By the way, First I supposed that it was only small models of these projects since it contains Burj Dubai, but then I'm shocked :shocked:

·
Registered
491 Posts
countries cant just copy each others designs!

dubai you have gone too far this time.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
warcry said:
dubai you have gone too far this time.
I second that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts