SkyscraperCity banner

1061 - 1080 of 1115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
^^ Very old news ... Tallest tower in here if ever built will be taller than 660m+ that's confirmed information .. official renders and information available on following pages! Please check them out and let's not drag old and dead topics back to life.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Dubai's inability to landscape completed interchanges is typical of doing half a job. lived in Dubai for 14 years and built lots of projects so I've seen it all first hand
On this.

I heard when Abu Dhabi bailed out Dubai in the financial crash that they took a dim view of feckless spending on stuff like landscaping in Dubai - hence today when you travel between the two the lack of greenery and landscaping on the Dubai side is really evident. Simply because Dubai can't afford it, Abu Dhabi bailed them out and they were not going tolerate spending like that.

In other words "get your act together before planting grass"...

How much truth is there to that?

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
^^ he means lack of management and planning .. landscaping in Dubai is not perfect because construction of new streets and towers is always ongoing so things keep on changing around, in fact lately there is landscaping going on around many areas in Dubai.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Anyone thinking they plan on changing the name of the tower from "Burj 2020"? Since it's pretty evident that it won't be finished in 2020 lmao
The official name of the tower hasn't been Burj 2020 for a while. It's Uptown Dubai Tower 1 now. The previous name is just in the thread title to avoid confusion.

Also, If I read the press releases correctly, the tower was named for the 2020 expo, not as a reference to its completion year. Although they probably planned for the two to match.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,170 Posts
^^
rough paint calculation ignoring perspective

according to Skyscrapercenter.com. The white tower next to it is The Dome (176m)

The distance from camera of Uptown Dubai and The Dome is about the same. But needless to say, the view angle is from much higher up, which means that the top of Uptown Dubai appears much closer, just counting pixels will therefor make the building height appear taller than it is. It still looks close to 800m in that render though.

The Dome: ~72 px = 176m
Uptown Dubai: ~354 px = 176m*(354px/72px) = 865m

G

·
^^

according to Skyscrapercenter.com. The white tower next to it is The Dome (176m)

The distance from camera of Uptown Dubai and The Dome is about the same. But needless to say, the view angle is from much higher up, which means that the top of Uptown Dubai appears much closer, just counting pixels will therefor make the building height appear taller than it is. It still looks close to 800m in that render though.

this tower proposal is getting taller every time not shocking for a diamond and gold trading company :lol:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Judging by the construction speed of Uptown Tower, this megatall tower probably won't start construction before 2023 and probably won't be open for business before 2030, assuming it doesn't get cancelled by then yet.

·
I love Abu Dhabi.
5,759 Posts
Reactions: Daniel2011

·
I love Abu Dhabi.
5,759 Posts
Nah :p not yet , more like dust particles from blowing sand

·
Registered
817 Posts
^^

i think your right, each main section looks about 200m plus a bit on the top.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
To fully embrace my role as the Negative Nancy in here, I will interject that a sudden height increase like this makes the project seem less likely to happen. If they can just discard the previously announced plans and make the tower a full 30 percent higher, it means the tower must still be on the concept stage (otherwise, they'd have to re-do a ton of design work, particularly on the geotechnical side). Making it 30 % taller would also make it quite a bit more expensive, which suggests that either budgets got a lot more generous for no discernible reason (Dubai real estate prices have been falling quite a lot for years now, so spending a lot more money on spectacular buildings doesn't seem as lucrative) or no budget has been set yet and they're just toying around with concepts to generate buzz: "Check out this really tall tower that may one day be your neighbour if you buy into one of the surrounding buildings we plan to build in phase one!"

It could also be that the 660 m figure is still the one they're going for, and the renders exaggerate the size of the tower to make it seem bigger and more attractive. As long as they haven't announced a height change, and have a disclaimer somewhere about renders not necessarily showing it completely to scale, they can't be said to be lying.

At any rate, it seems like the tower will be years in the future if it ever happens at all. Its site is occupied by a construction office that doesn't look likely to move until they finish the supertall at least, which is already far enough into the future that things become completely unpredictable. If the market situation of 2005 decides to make a sudden return it's nice to have designs ready to sell, but as of now it doesn't look like towers taller than 360 meters make any financial sense in Dubai (and they haven't since before the 2007 financial crisis, as I've pointed out several times before - barring The Address Boulevard with its 70+ meter spires, no building above 360 meters in the city has started and completed/currently ongoing construction since before then).

All in all, I think Uptown Dubai Tower 1 mostly serves as a nice set piece to drum up excitement for the Uptown Dubai cluster, that is to say the parts of it they're currently building. Something in the renders that says "one day we'll build this huge landmark and the district will become really attractive and the apartments we're now selling will be worth lots of money". We've seen it with Burj Jumeirah, Meydan One, Dubai Creek Tower and several others: projects that, while not necessarily profitable to actually build, look nice in the background of the drawings and make the stuff currently on sale more recognisable/memorable to potential buyers. Non-binding promises that the development will one day become a landmark district.

TL;DR: Words and renders are cheap, construction is expensive. I'll believe the fancy talk when I see it happen.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
There was never a height change increase or whatever ... it was always if built gonna be ~700m!

I will join the circus and throw common sense out of the window for a minute! For the love of All Gods combined, Dubai never made sense to have any tower taller than 50 meters for that matter, saying "towers taller than 360 meters doesnt make any financial sense in Dubai" is so outrageously hilarious!

Now I would like to invite common sense back in and stop talking about this because that is NOT the thread for it.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,170 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
tower budget is near 3 Billion $
the developer isnt joking
just this main tower or the whole complex?

makes you wonder, how does this compare to similar projects? How much was Burj Khalifa and did that include surrounding or only the tower, and how much would that be adjusted to inflation?

Reactions: Daniel2011
1061 - 1080 of 1115 Posts