SkyscraperCity banner

1081 - 1100 of 1115 Posts

·
city of the future
1,449 Posts
To fully embrace my role as the Negative Nancy in here, I will interject that a sudden height increase like this makes the project seem less likely to happen. If they can just discard the previously announced plans and make the tower a full 30 percent higher, it means the tower must still be on the concept stage (otherwise, they'd have to re-do a ton of design work, particularly on the geotechnical side). Making it 30 % taller would also make it quite a bit more expensive, which suggests that either budgets got a lot more generous for no discernible reason (Dubai real estate prices have been falling quite a lot for years now, so spending a lot more money on spectacular buildings doesn't seem as lucrative) or no budget has been set yet and they're just toying around with concepts to generate buzz: "Check out this really tall tower that may one day be your neighbour if you buy into one of the surrounding buildings we plan to build in phase one!"

It could also be that the 660 m figure is still the one they're going for, and the renders exaggerate the size of the tower to make it seem bigger and more attractive. As long as they haven't announced a height change, and have a disclaimer somewhere about renders not necessarily showing it completely to scale, they can't be said to be lying.

At any rate, it seems like the tower will be years in the future if it ever happens at all. Its site is occupied by a construction office that doesn't look likely to move until they finish the supertall at least, which is already far enough into the future that things become completely unpredictable. If the market situation of 2005 decides to make a sudden return it's nice to have designs ready to sell, but as of now it doesn't look like towers taller than 360 meters make any financial sense in Dubai (and they haven't since before the 2007 financial crisis, as I've pointed out several times before - barring The Address Boulevard with its 70+ meter spires, no building above 360 meters in the city has started and completed/currently ongoing construction since before then).

All in all, I think Uptown Dubai Tower 1 mostly serves as a nice set piece to drum up excitement for the Uptown Dubai cluster, that is to say the parts of it they're currently building. Something in the renders that says "one day we'll build this huge landmark and the district will become really attractive and the apartments we're now selling will be worth lots of money". We've seen it with Burj Jumeirah, Meydan One, Dubai Creek Tower and several others: projects that, while not necessarily profitable to actually build, look nice in the background of the drawings and make the stuff currently on sale more recognisable/memorable to potential buyers. Non-binding promises that the development will one day become a landmark district.

TL;DR: Words and renders are cheap, construction is expensive. I'll believe the fancy talk when I see it happen.
You hit the nail right on the coffin. This most likely has no chance of being built, as you stated see all other flashy projects with tall centerpiece towers, only one was ever done, Burj Khalifa. Plus the local market conditions make it very tough to sell any units

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,150 Posts
I also highly doubt this tower will get build.
yes, especially with another global recession on the horizon it seems unlikely. Two likely outcomes are that the Tower starts, but never reaches anything above ground level or that it gets redesigned and we end with a much shorter tower. It is not impossible though, so I want to be cautiously optimistic for now. :cheers:

·
Parisian Guy
911 Posts
One thing that doesn't really work is the location of the project.

They had tons of opportunities to develop it in an appealing area, but instead they choose to settle in a place surrounded by highways, desalination and power plants.

Dubai has a long coast line where these projects, would perfectly fit in, with nice and unobstructed views (they would therefore be much easier to advertise and sell) but instead, developers spend billions to initiate constructions in places where people don't want to go and they stop the work because they realize they will only loose money.

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
One thing that doesn't really work is the location of the project.

They had tons of opportunities to develop it in an appealing area, but instead they choose to settle in a place surrounded by highways, desalination and power plants.

Dubai has a long coast line where these projects, would perfectly fit in, with nice and unobstructed views (they would therefore be much easier to advertise and sell) but instead, developers spend billions to initiate constructions in places where people don't want to go and they stop the work because they realize they will only loose money.
Yes. Would be perfect at the entrance of the palm.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes. Would be perfect at the entrance of the palm.
A good location is no guarantee of success either. At the entrance of the palm already lies Dubai Pearl, possibly the greatest clusterfudge in construction history. A project with great views and a central location, which was initiated twice, torn down once, abandoned who knows how many times, currently left to the elements and so far beyond bankruptcy nobody wants to touch it with a ten-meter pole. Last thing I heard, just getting the site back to zero would cost several billion dollars.

A bit further down the road you may find the Gateway Towers and One At The Palm as well, huge projects at the base of the palm that both grew in short spurts only to slow down massively. Such an erratic pace of construction doesn't usually signal that the higher-ups are expecting a quick return on their investment.

So yeah, not even a good location can save a project if other success factors aren't fulfilled. Maybe a well-managed project can be successful despite its location, but then they have to turn the location into a bit of a destination themselves. And in a city full of developments that all try to be the hippest location around, all isolated from each other by impassable highways, that is no easy feat. Burj Khalifa and Dubai Marina managed to turn their locations into a destination (mainly because an ungodly amount of money was spent to build a lot of stuff worth visiting at once in the same place), but plenty of other developments ended up as just a stop along the highway.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
At 1:34 in the below youtube video, the height of Tower 1 is shown as 711m.

A little bit of a technical video about this project.
They mention that the main tower will be 711M tall and is still 5 years away and confirming that tower 2 (uptown tower) will be 340m tall.

(only the first 15 minutes concern this project the rest is about Jeddah tower)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That image is crazy. One of the world's tallest skyscrapers is being built next to endless land to build.
Quite a few of them, actually, if the development goes according to plan. This is only the second tallest tower.

Not that the tallest one appears to have any good chances of being built, but there could still be a tower cluster there anyway.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,150 Posts
Not that the tallest one appears to have any good chances of being built, but there could still be a tower cluster there anyway.
I was under the assumption the tallest tower was one of the most likely megatalls we might get.

1081 - 1100 of 1115 Posts