Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Dublin has been bestowed with the Alpha- World city status in the new revised list published by the GaWC. Dublin features alongside the elites of Chicago, Zurich, Frankfurt, Bangkok and Prague.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2008t.html

Curious to note that megalopolises like Los Angeles, Melbourne, Manila and San Francisco comes in the beta-category, which I find rather strange and amusing. :nuts:

Referance: Wikipedia

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Dublin was already there in the 2004 list but LA, Melbourne and co have been demoted :eek:hno: Thats what I find strange in the list.

Honestly, I find it embarrassing to club our li'l old Dublin city above LA, Berlin and Dubai, no offense meant. The criteria is given in the Wikipedia link, here it is again for you ;) Whichever way I look at it, I cant understand this chart. Especially when I see the position given to Vancouver, Brisbane, San Francisco, LA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, yeah. Better to be at the top than at the bottom, or not at all. Its just what is the take home message exactly? Is Dublin a better place to do business than any of California's main cities? (LA, SF, San Diego and San Jose are all lower). Is Belfast really on an equal footing with Strasbourg? Does Cork not deserve a place?

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Im happy with it. Im proud of Dublin as a city - it has alot going for it and the infrastructure is improving immensely and has improved alot over the last decade. It's a good place to do business and it's a great place to live. Obviously your opinion of Dublin, like any other city, depends on your wealth but overall it's a good city. It has cracking geography and there is lots to see and do. It's very vibrant. It has it's problems like everywhere else but I would never choose anywhere else to live.

If someone from Cork wants to comment....please do.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not saying Dublin isn't any of the things you've said, I just fail to see how it could be placed above cities such as Barcelona, Berlin or San Francisco, using any sort of meaningful parameter.

Personally, I don't judge a city by its cost of living.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
I'm not saying Dublin isn't any of the things you've said, I just fail to see how it could be placed above cities such as Barcelona, Berlin or San Francisco, using any sort of meaningful parameter.

Quality of life I suppose. All we are missing is 300 days of warm sunshine a year. Alot of major multinationals have hq's here aswell and according to wiki that is a key indicator. They must have there reasons. This is far from the first time Dublin has topped such lists. It was voted worlds best city a year or two back and has had other questionable titles aswell.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I always find those cities that rate highly for 'quality of life' are also incredibly dull. Australian cities always seem to score highly for this, which are for the most part bland and completely non.

·
Registered
144 Posts
These rankings are basically a high level overview of the world's economic powerhouses. They do not mean a huge amount except maybe for investors or those looking for locate a Global or regional HQ. Factors taken into account are the activity in the stock market in the city, the number of large corporate Headquarters located in the city and the 'wealth' of the city in terms of salaries. I do believe Dublin would score quite high given that it is a wealthy city (one of the highest average salaries in the world) and has a lion's share of global companies locating Headquarters here.

·
Registered
144 Posts
These rankings are basically a high level overview of the world's economic powerhouses. They do not mean a huge amount except maybe for investors or those looking for locate a Global or regional HQ. Factors taken into account are the activity in the stock market in the city, the number of large corporate Headquarters located in the city and the 'wealth' of the city in terms of salaries. I do believe Dublin would score quite high given that it is a wealthy city (one of the highest average salaries in the world) and has a lion's share of global companies locating Headquarters here.
Don't ask me how we are supposed to be on the same footing as Frankfurt, for exmaple the ISEQ capital is over €1 billion whereas the DAX is up on €450 billion...

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^ that makes pretty much sense Keano. The idea was nice but the end-product was pretty much like a sarcastic comedy.

the earlier 2 ratings weren't that bad, actually. But this 2008 list is all screwed up top to bottom. If we use this as a referance then we'd end up in the gutter. Alpha world city, and I haven't even heard about Caracas (?) before, have ye? :eek:hno:

·
K e e p W a l k i n g
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See, Im not too unhappy about Dub's rating. I shouldn't complain there but this system will lose credibility if they go on with such glaring omissions. C'mon, who with a tinge of common sense could leave out LA from the hulk cities? The center of Hollywood, cultural melting pot, aviation/transportation hub and what not? And it pretty much scores high on all the criterea, except in Public transport.

Someone's got their calculations wrong..

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
the earlier 2 ratings weren't that bad, actually. But this 2008 list is all screwed up top to bottom. If we use this as a referance then we'd end up in the gutter. Alpha world city, and I haven't even heard about Caracas (?) before, have ye? :eek:hno:

How is it "screwed up"? How many multinationals have hq's here? What about the IFSC? Why are you supprised to see Dublin where it is?

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
See, Im not too unhappy about Dub's rating. I shouldn't complain there but this system will lose credibility if they go on with such glaring omissions. C'mon, who with a tinge of common sense could leave out LA from the hulk cities? The center of Hollywood, cultural melting pot, aviation/transportation hub and what not? And it pretty much scores high on all the criterea, except in Public transport.

Someone's got their calculations wrong..

Because California is in far more serious trouble then this country. They are currently issuing IOU's to cover debt. The banks have already said they won't except this. Bankruptcy is imminent. I was in LA earlier this year and, jesus, you better pray their problems don't extend to this country. Estate after estate made homeless over night - all repocessed. Entire communties now on the streets. Business imploding since the dot com bubble burst. They never recovered from that. That should be remembered.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.