SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· K e e p W a l k i n g
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Dublin has been bestowed with the Alpha- World city status in the new revised list published by the GaWC. Dublin features alongside the elites of Chicago, Zurich, Frankfurt, Bangkok and Prague.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2008t.html

Curious to note that megalopolises like Los Angeles, Melbourne, Manila and San Francisco comes in the beta-category, which I find rather strange and amusing. :nuts:

Referance: Wikipedia

· K e e p W a l k i n g
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Dublin was already there in the 2004 list but LA, Melbourne and co have been demoted :eek:hno: Thats what I find strange in the list.

Honestly, I find it embarrassing to club our li'l old Dublin city above LA, Berlin and Dubai, no offense meant. The criteria is given in the Wikipedia link, here it is again for you ;) Whichever way I look at it, I cant understand this chart. Especially when I see the position given to Vancouver, Brisbane, San Francisco, LA...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

· K e e p W a l k i n g
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^ that makes pretty much sense Keano. The idea was nice but the end-product was pretty much like a sarcastic comedy.

the earlier 2 ratings weren't that bad, actually. But this 2008 list is all screwed up top to bottom. If we use this as a referance then we'd end up in the gutter. Alpha world city, and I haven't even heard about Caracas (?) before, have ye? :eek:hno:

· K e e p W a l k i n g
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See, Im not too unhappy about Dub's rating. I shouldn't complain there but this system will lose credibility if they go on with such glaring omissions. C'mon, who with a tinge of common sense could leave out LA from the hulk cities? The center of Hollywood, cultural melting pot, aviation/transportation hub and what not? And it pretty much scores high on all the criterea, except in Public transport.

Someone's got their calculations wrong..

· K e e p W a l k i n g
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
^^ No Odlum, the point is not about Dublin.. Dublin may score high on all parameters but I think that chart has lost its credibility. Look where Canberra is, it makes you giggle...I dont want to go on more here because it may well become a City X City which is against SSC ehtos.. ;) I can go on n on n on about them ratings, but since Dub is up there and we all are happy about THAT ONE point, I'll stop here.. :)

GN mate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.