SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Dublin an Alpha- World City in new GaWC list

5757 Views 28 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  spacetweek
Folks,

Dublin has been bestowed with the Alpha- World city status in the new revised list published by the GaWC. Dublin features alongside the elites of Chicago, Zurich, Frankfurt, Bangkok and Prague.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2008t.html

Curious to note that megalopolises like Los Angeles, Melbourne, Manila and San Francisco comes in the beta-category, which I find rather strange and amusing. :nuts:

Referance: Wikipedia
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
It seems to be based on the office networks of service firms, an obvious barometer.
Well, yeah. Better to be at the top than at the bottom, or not at all. Its just what is the take home message exactly? Is Dublin a better place to do business than any of California's main cities? (LA, SF, San Diego and San Jose are all lower). Is Belfast really on an equal footing with Strasbourg? Does Cork not deserve a place?
I'm not saying Dublin isn't any of the things you've said, I just fail to see how it could be placed above cities such as Barcelona, Berlin or San Francisco, using any sort of meaningful parameter.

Personally, I don't judge a city by its cost of living.
I always find those cities that rate highly for 'quality of life' are also incredibly dull. Australian cities always seem to score highly for this, which are for the most part bland and completely non.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.