SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 682 Posts

·
Bring Constantinople back
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, Ireland won over England in Lansdowne Road.
On 12 march, Ireland-France will be the last 6 nation match in this historical stadium (the oldest in the world to host international games).

That's a good new: LR is too old and may be dangerous.

But I don't understand one thing: some people (the "famous" Pierre Salviac) say that the New Lansdowne Road will have only 50 000 places instead of 55 000 right now.
It's a bit pity to build a new stadium and to loose spectator in the same time.

Why not building a 80 000 places stadium for both Football and Rugby in Dublin ?

·
Tax avoider
23,943 Posts
Politics. The plan was to build an 80,000-seater out-of town stadium to be shared by rugby and soccer, but this ended up being cancelled in favour of redeveloping Lansdowne Road.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
What is the Gaelic Athletic Associations problem? Surely theres no good reason why soccer or rugby shouldnt be played at Croke Park.

·
Socialogically Diseased
402 Posts
Funnily enough i was about to ask the same question,

50000 for Ireland rugby is pathetic, especially now since they are one of the best teams in the world and Grand Slam contenders

·
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welshlad said:
Funnily enough i was about to ask the same question,

50000 for Ireland rugby is pathetic, especially now since they are one of the best teams in the world and Grand Slam contenders
50 000 won't be enough to bid for hosting RWC 2015. They should build a 80 000 all-seated stadium instead. I'm not shure it would be very more expensive.

·
15,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Croke Park is a great stadium: no need to build an other one for Soccer and Rugby.
2006 and 2007 6 nations should take place in Croke Park: I think that if the 4 home union, FFR, IRB, UEFA and FIFA make together pressure over GAA, they would change their mind.
Dublin needs a 80 000 all-seated stadium...

·
Tax avoider
23,943 Posts
The other point of view is that the GAA built Croke Park entirely with their own funds, not using any public money (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you could understand them feeling just a little bit aggreived if they were forced to accommodate other sports. Of course, if the GAA council votes to allow "garrison sports" in, there's no problem.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I think its about time that Lansdowne Road was redeveloped. It was becoming an Irish embarrasment. 50 K isnt huge and the design isn't spectacular but it will still be a pretty good stadium.

Lansdowne Road as it is currently.

The new Lansdowne Road.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Croke

CharlieP said:
The other point of view is that the GAA built Croke Park entirely with their own funds, not using any public money (please correct me if I'm wrong), so you could understand them feeling just a little bit aggreived if they were forced to accommodate other sports. Of course, if the GAA council votes to allow "garrison sports" in, there's no problem.
Does anyone know what Croke cost? A ball-park figure is fine.

I think you're right that the GAA funded it themselves and so have every right not to let football or rugby in. How would BP react if some politician 'ordered' them to let Shell share their premesis?
While I agree that the term 'garrison sports' indicates a chip on the shoulder I feel, sadly, that it's the GAA's decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Croke Park rules have been changed. :)

Soccer and Rugby can be there while new Lansdowne Road is under construction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
no construction yet.

it's still the same.

Soccer game Ireland v Israel (WC) on June 4th coming up at old Lansdowne.

There is talk that the next Ireland game v France will go to Croke Park later this year.

we will see.

Lansdowne will close in 2006 for nearly 3 years.

·
Hmm
139 Posts
CharlieP said:
Actually it sounds very stupid. If a stadium is used, the owner earns money no matter what kind of event that takes place.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Is the Irish FA going to own the new stadium? I get the impression that hiring a stadium from a third party is something that people are trying to move away from these days as in the case of Italian clubs moving out of the council run grounds to smaller stadia. "Maximizing profit from your infrastructure" is a mantra I'v heard alot recently and that obviously can't take place if you merely rent space in a stadium.

1 - 20 of 682 Posts