Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
19th century pics of Dublin always make for depressing viewing on seeing how much has been lost architecturally!!! Although, I'm sure the liberties and stuff were pretty horrendous back then...
Will post a few before shots later!!!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
19th century pics of Dublin always make for depressing viewing on seeing how much has been lost architecturally!!! Although, I'm sure the liberties and stuff were pretty horrendous back then...
Will post a few before shots later!!!
I hate seeing old photographs that show the tram network, makes me wish it was still around! Unfortunately, lots of other cities worldwide suffered the same fate and stupidly tore up their old networks...

Here's an old map of the tram/train network in 1922-23:

Red: Tramway / Blue: Railway

Dublin had a very advanced network, including a zonal fare system and (I think) integrated ticketing - if only we had that now instead of Dublin Bus' stupid stage-based fare system and lack of coordination between operators! :bash:

edit: Here's the situation as of 2010 (two separate maps for two separate operators, before we include the buses! :wallbash:) -

·
Registered
499 Posts
Those stupid Irish Rail maps always annoy me. When looking at it you'd half think that there is a fairly decent rail system in Dublin, when the reality is entirely different. Ridiculous and dangerous level crossings in urban areas and only hourly trains from some suburbs on a Sunday. No service at all on 26 December etc. - I could go on. Overcrowded and noisy diesel trains and poxy train stations (with a few exceptions). Why on earth wasn't the DART extended years ago? And now the interconnector has been shelved. I really hope Metro North goes ahead. And to see how those old tram lines joined with each other all those years ago!

·
Liberal Minded
2,153 Posts
Those stupid Irish Rail maps always annoy me. When looking at it you'd half think that there is a fairly decent rail system in Dublin, when the reality is entirely different. Ridiculous and dangerous level crossings in urban areas and only hourly trains from some suburbs on a Sunday. No service at all on 26 December etc. - I could go on. Overcrowded and noisy diesel trains and poxy train stations (with a few exceptions). Why on earth wasn't the DART extended years ago? And now the interconnector has been shelved. I really hope Metro North goes ahead. And to see how those old tram lines joined with each other all those years ago!
Yeah I would agree with this, them train maps provided always make our transit system extensive and fairly connected but it's not in reality. The day the Metro North gets built will change our transport system for the better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On a more positive note, look how the area around the Green has changed for the better. I never knew it was that bad before!
Well the area had been intentionally run down by developers so they could knock it. That was standard enough procedure in Dublin and is why nearly all of Bachelors walk was destroyed -- apart from two "islands" in the middle of the faux-Georgian apartments.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Bumping this because I'm wondering if theres any ground and aerial pics from the docklands in the 80's & 90's just before development?
Hey

I am sure I have seen pics like that on the Net over the years. I certainly have some pics in books, but, I am not sure I can scan them.

I will post some links later. Over on Archiseek there is a thread with interesting links to old pics of Dublin:)

C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.