SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of the country's biggest developers in line to develop this site.

Decision on development partner due this month.

Decision looms for CIE on Dublin dockland schemes

Developer Sean Mulryan's Ballymore Properties, Johnny Ronan's Ronan Group Real Estate (RGRE), and Tony Leonard and Paddy McKillen's Clarendon Properties are understood to be among six parties with proposals for the development of the Boston Sidings site, which will be considered by the board of CIE. Located next to Grand Canal Dart Station, the 0.87 hectare (2.15 acre) site is expected to accommodate up to 11,148 sq m (120,000 sq ft) of office space upon completion.

Boston Sidings derives its name from the site's use by CIE over many years as sidings for its train services. With the State transport group no longer requiring the land for that purpose, it decided last year to seek a developer partner with a view to unlocking its development potential.

While the site's proximity to the operations of tech giants Google and Facebook, Accenture, and law firm Mason Hayes & Curran makes it attractive to potential occupiers, the developer will be required as a condition of building the scheme to provide CIE with a premium rent which could amount to more than €1m per annum, a 10pc share of the rent roll, or whichever is the greater.

CIE has already been involved in several successful partnerships in the Dublin docklands with developer Johnny Ronan. It is also partnering with RGRE on the development of the Aqua Vetro Tower next to Tara Street station.

While Ronan's proposal for the 22-storey building was rejected last year by Dublin City Council, the developer is awaiting a ruling from An Bord Pleanala on his appeal of the decision.

Edit: First visual

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Cie involved. With their ambitions. Will probably see three floors. I hope ronan gets it! As it is state property, it should be used for residential in my opinion... although noise from trains might be an issue..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can't understand CIE's willingness to lose any of the existing railtrack in the city centre. It seems extremely shortsighted. Surely it would be possible to retain the tracks and build above them, especially considering how lightly used they would be?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Cie involved. With their ambitions. Will probably see three floors. I hope ronan gets it! As it is state property, it should be used for residential in my opinion... although noise from trains might be an issue..
Id say given how little accommodation is available there'd be many dubliners more than happy to live there.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
They should have got DCC onboard and offer the block of flats beside it as part of the deal. The combination of both sites would have allowed for a substantial development.
Well do DCC own it?
Just because they built them doesnt mean they do, I believe many of the council buildings unit's were sold to private owners

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Thats a shame if its only 7 stories. They could make a really nice slender tower like aqua vetro, the shape of the site could also really be used to produce a very interesting and noteworthy design. Anyway its the proportions and design that are a lot more important than how many floors it has but unfortunately due to the site being quite big and only 7 stories it probably will end up looking clunky and squat

·
Registered
293 Posts
An incredible waste of space of a prime piece of land. Apart from the council flats next to it there is no residential buildings that this site would potentially overlook. In an ideal world (ie any other booming city in Europe) you would be looking at minimum 15 floors here

Safe to say I am expecting incredibly bland plans once they come out.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts