Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
níféidirliomdulacholadh
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May aswell have a thread for the service that carries over half a million dubliners every day... Some good (not so new) news for them today...

Plans for 2009

Dublin Bus is to exploit the latest development in transport technology to redevelop how its fleet operates in the face of the growing challenge of congestion. As part of a €15 million proposal, Dublin Bus has appointed German firm Init to install an Automatic Vehicle Location and Control (AVCL) system throughout its fleet. The AVLC system will be the platform upon which Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) can be introduced. The programme, part funded by the Department of Transport, is part of an overall plan to ensure a greater predictability of service. As part of the AVLC installation process, each bus will be equipped with an on board computer that will interface with the existing bus radio system, which will transmit location data back to Depots and other monitoring points. In addition to this, bus location data will be transmitted from the AVLC central computer system to Dublin City Council’s SCATS traffic control central computer. This will allow for greater bus prioritisation at signal controlled junctions.

AVLC will allow information to be fed back to screens at bus stops informing customers when their bus is due. Dublin Bus intends to have 1,000 of its busiest stops fitted with display screens. This information will also be accessible through mobile phones and the internet. Currently Dublin Bus and Init are in the specification stage of the software design process. The software specification will be signed off on in 2009. Once the software and hardware it has been designed, a pilot trial is planned for autumn. It is anticipated that AVLC will be fully operational by 2010. Once AVLC is operational, bus arrival times will be available on the Dublin Bus website and on mobile phone. Dublin Bus will then introduce bus stop RTPI units on a phased basis in over 1,000 sites across the city.
http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Projects/T21/Traffic-Management-/

This will be dead handy imho.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
PR
Dublin Bus Drives the ‘Fashionistas’ in a New 50c City Centre ‘Recessionista’ Fare

Friday, August 07, 2009

Dublin Bus announces details of a new 50 cent City Centre Fare devised to make it more convenient for shoppers, visitors and workers in the area to travel around the city centre.

The recent introduction (27th July) of the new College Green Bus Corridor, greatly improves traffic flow through the city centre and this newly introduced fare will help further to improve people’s mobility and access around the city. It will apply all day, 7 days a week on frequent* bus routes and already 500 people per day are using the new fare to get around the city.

Commenting on the new initiative Clíodhna Ní Fhátharta, Media & Communications Manager, Dublin Bus, said “We want to make it as convenient as possible for the public to enjoy all that the city centre has to offer, and this special 50c City Centre Fare will go a long way to helping people get around their Capital City. Dublin city centre has 4,000 shops and 10 department stores, a myriad of museums and cultural centres – it really is a great place to spend a day in.”

To determine the appropriate routes and stops on street, customers should look out for a City Centre Fare sign (see below & attached) on bus stops and to avail of the new fare when onboard customers simply ask for the ‘City Centre Fare’. The frequent bus routes connect all areas in the city centre from Parnell Square, O’Connell St., the Quays and the IFSC to Merrion Square, Stephen’s Green, Sth Great Georges St and Parliament St.

The most frequent participating bus routes are 4/4a, 7, 10/10a, 16/16a, 19/ 19a, 46a, 92, 128 and 151 which all operate on average every 10 minutes. The new fare essentially means that customers can make it across the city centre in 10 minutes for as little as 50c.

Over the coming weeks Dublin Bus will have a team of ambassadors on the city’s streets providing information and guidance to customers on the new City Centre Fare.

·
Politically incorrect
119 Posts
We have real time information stops in Preston. Unfortunately, the information they give is hopelessly unreliable.
Better any information than no information at all! :eek:hno:

Wondering when someone will reschedule all timetables which now look like designed by children or idiots. :bash:
Does work any transportation engineer for Dublin Bus? :wtf:
Do they now what are tacts or rush hours? :eek:mg:

I love to see completely empty buses at 10 o'clock running every 10 minutes when at core rush hours they are overcrowded!

And everything for most expensive fare within whole Europe.

·
Politically incorrect
119 Posts
Weather Disrupts Bus Services
Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Adverse weather conditions developed early this afternoon which made bus operation extremely difficult. Dublin Bus attempted to continue to operate services during the evening peak. Unfortunately operating conditions have deteriorated and in the interests of safety Dublin Bus will be unable to continue to provide a service this evening. Dublin Bus has been informed that a heavy programme of gritting is planned for tonight and therefore expects to be able to restore services tomorrow morning.

Dublinbus.ie and news bulletins will be updated as services resume tomorrow morning and our Customer Service line on 01-8734222 will be available from 07:00hrs.

Dublin Bus apologises to customers for the inconvenience caused by this service disruption.
http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Bad-Weather/

In my opinion, this what happened today is just unbelievable:eek:hno: Is there any other city in Europe with so bad bus service?

I know how streets look like today and I am pretty sure that some service could be sustained. Nothing better, when you waiting for the bus and can see hundred of buses with "out of service" display. And where are snow-plough cars and gritting? Did Dublin City Council surprise by snow?

And don't apologise me for the inconvinience, give me back my money which I had to spent on taxi.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Bad-Weather/

In my opinion, this what happened today is just unbelievable:eek:hno: Is there any other city in Europe with so bad bus service?

I know how streets look like today and I am pretty sure that some service could be sustained. Nothing better, when you waiting for the bus and can see hundred of buses with "out of service" display. And where are snow-plough cars and gritting? Did Dublin City Council surprise by snow?

And don't apologise me for the inconvinience, give me back my money which I had to spent on taxi.

I think the whole city came to a halt. People were 6 and 7 hours getting home in their cars. The pavements could not even be walked on it was so dangerous. Dublin Bus should not have done what they did (effectively leaving 100,000's of people stranded). But it was very dodgy for driving all the same.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
One of those things that once you're used to it, you need it. Timetables are generally no good for buses because they're so unreliable due to traffic etc. Real time information can help you determine whether to wait for the bus or just walk/find an alternative.
And of course, if they have a half decent system, the operators can also use it to get a more realistic impression of journey times and alter the timetables accordingly, as First in particular have been doing in West Yorkshire.

·
Banned
793 Posts
And of course, if they have a half decent system, the operators can also use it to get a more realistic impression of journey times and alter the timetables accordingly, as First in particular have been doing in West Yorkshire.
That doesn't really add up.
You suggesting the buses are breezily sent out and nobody notices - even the drivers - how long journey times are?

You might find the drivers are world class horologists when the time of their break approaches.......

It could help in identifying the sections of a route that are more subject to delays but that's not that relevant to terminus times which are what the timetables are based on. Dublin Bus covers well over 100 routes. The time tables are always under review to take account of changing conditions but changing them is not simple as the driver duties/hours for any route has to be divided up to comply with legal working hours/breaks etc. You'd need an army to keep them all up to date, it's such a convoluted process, with residents' organisations throwing hysterics if anything is altered without a full United Nations enquiry, appeals to the war crimes commission in the Hague and newsletters printed out and distributed like confetti.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
No, I am suggesting that (as has happened with many such systems in the UK), operators use these systems to identify on average how long buses actually take to complete their journeys in relation to the timetable, and adjust running times to fall in line with this. This is far more accurate than drivers looking at their watch or whatever.

Your point about working hours does not add up, as changes to the schedules simply reflect the reality of the situation. Therefore, no actual change takes place to working hours. If running times increased to the point where alterations were needed to driver rosters, so be it. I can't imagine they (or the authorities for that matter) would be too happy about dodgy timetables being kept on simply to try and force them to routinely work beyond their legal hours!

·
Banned
793 Posts
No, I am suggesting that (as has happened with many such systems in the UK), operators use these systems to identify on average how long buses actually take to complete their journeys in relation to the timetable, and adjust running times to fall in line with this. This is far more accurate than drivers looking at their watch or whatever.

Your point about working hours does not add up, as changes to the schedules simply reflect the reality of the situation. Therefore, no actual change takes place to working hours. If running times increased to the point where alterations were needed to driver rosters, so be it. I can't imagine they (or the authorities for that matter) would be too happy about dodgy timetables being kept on simply to try and force them to routinely work beyond their legal hours!
You're simply inventing and guessing. It does not work at all as you imagine.

Firstly, the actual time buses take to make journeys has absolutely nothing to do with 'drivers having a look at their watches'.
When a bus runs off scheduled time it has knock on effects for many things. Not least on the capacity of a bus to complete all the journeys it's scheduled to make, and the implications for legal breaks drivers need.
The point being that the inspectors/controllers already know very well all the issues for all routes in relation to delays, clear roads, and journey times.
Aside of the fact that all the buses have radios so drivers let them know quick enough when something goes wrong.
So the new system will tell them nothing they do not know already about journey times.
As there is generally not an issue with buses getting ahead of time - a bus has to be given a reasonable scheduled journey time anyway in the event of getting unlucky with all the traffic lights, unusual events etc, so the problem involves buses running late.
If you give buses more time then you quickly run into the question of whether you have enough buses on that route for that route timetable/schedule. Each route schedule is a separate module in itself with specific number of drivers/duties etc.
So the traffic engineers office, in conjunction with the garage controllers constantly monitors all routes, along with requests from the public and adjusting for new urban developments. They change things all the time, but it's not simple, it takes time and without an uneconomic army of staff cannot be kept entirely up to date.
The new system in reality won't tell them anything they do not know in relation to timetables.
Dublin Bus operates in a dense urban environment, perhaps the conditions and routes that Yorkshire Bus encounter are different. Perhaps there the routes involve long journeys between smaller/quieter towns where there was less precision about how long buses actually take.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I actually know rather well what I am talking about with regards to these systems. These systems do not merely tell you where a bus is at a given moment. They can store all the data from journeys over a given period. This data can then be analysed in whichever way desired in order to give an accurate reflection of running times over that period. This is not the same as 'inspectors knowing where the problems are', or working around individual problems at a given moment in time. This is clearly much more efficient than scheduling slack or tight timetables. West and South Yorkshire are also dense urban environments with severe traffic congestion. The public want reliable services. The operators need this data in order to be able to give it to them. It allows them to have the right number of buses on the road, it allows them to allocate drivers with a much more accurate idea of how long it will take them to complete the journeys they are supposed to make, in line with their legal hours. Win-win. Maybe you should read up on one such system? Here you go: http://www.acis.uk.com/Operators/tabid/81/Default.aspx I particularly recommend the case studies page.

Then come back and tell me what the problem is.

·
Banned
793 Posts
I refer you to my previous post.

Your 'enthusiasm' for the benefits of the new system is the typical IT theoretician selling guff. While it will make journey time analysis easier to gather it will not tell you anything you don't already know. It's main point is to give 'customers' good information about actual arrival times.

The timetables, as already pointed out, are set according to terminus times. It can't be any other way for practical reasons.
There are in fact flexibilities in the system, with 'spare' drivers on standby to run extra duties to cover problems but for reasons you cannot see the possibility to shift buses and allowed journey times is limited by the fact that drivers are not robots unfortunately, the unions have irrationally forbidden that, and changing things is not a computer game.
For one thing if you change a schedule, then the published timetable is rendered wrong and that will lead to more complaints then if no buses turned up at all almost.
So the point is, in practice, changing things is not that simple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.