Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it just me or does the cycle lane between the footpath and bus lane make zero sense?
It also seems like a lot of money for a very temporary solution?

Why do you think the cycle lane between bus and pedestrians makes zero sense? Because bus passengers need to get to the sidewalk?

Copenhagen has exactly this layout and it works quite well. Whenever there is a bus stopping, the cyclists stop and let the passengers board/leave.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have to say there's something monumentally irritating about the format of these reports. How much does it cost to make these glossy, high-quality booklets? Because they've made about a thousand of them in the last ten years, and it's usually a sign that the project isn't going anywhere. Just print your ******* plan on white A4 pages and start building it, you *****!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
While this country is generally unambitious with its large transport proposals, I think this one is over-ambitious. There is too much going on and too many people to piss off. They should have limited the routes to the previous BRT routes, perhaps splitting them so that they run into the city centre only, not cross city. Everyone was already on notice on these which negates some of the bitching. Add in a n orbital route or two if they want to expand it (these will be on wider modern roads so less controversial). Removing a traffic lane on Mobhi Road is incredibly naive, why kick that hornets nest again when Metro will serve that exact corridor?

I have often thought that, on many streets, the problem is that people park their cars on public roadspace while they own an used space in front of their house. The councils should be making people turn their front space (mostly its not even a garden) into a parking space, provide dropped kerbs as necessary. There should be sever fines for parking your car in a carriageway, particularly a bus lane. There are lots of places where CPO would not be necessary, the road is wide enough if no cars are parked there.

I am also concerned about the cycle provision. Saying that they are going to run a cycle lane along side all these bus lanes seems a bit of a ham-fisted approach. Cycle facilities should be off road and avoid traffic conflicts as much as possible. Some of the routes just dont have the space for cycle lanes along with bus lanes and the extra car restrictions, CPOs, mature tree removal, etc. is only going to create more opposition.

Some of the proposed routes have previously proposed cycle route following a similar route - how about completing S2S, delivering the Royal Canal Greenway, Dodder Greenway, Blanchardstown to Phoenix Park Cycle Route, etc. Are they actually proposing cycle lanes along the Chapelizod bypass when they can further develop the segregated route along the Liffey between Chapelizod and Islandbridge? Likely the busiest cycle facility they could develop, the Liffey route between Croppies Acre and Docklands was scrapped because it was too much hassle yet DCC already controlled the land, how much hassle will a thousand CPOs be?

·
14,838 Posts
They should have limited the routes to the previous BRT routes, perhaps splitting them so that they run into the city centre only, not cross city.
Agreed, or they should have had those BRT routes as 'phase 1' and merely flagged the new ones that suddenly appeared as phases 2 and 3. Everyone knows that phase 2 in Ireland means never and phase 3 means "ho ho ho"

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I said this on boards and I'll say it again here. I am at a loss as to why there is one of these core routes planned from Ballymun down the R108 which will require Mobhi Road to become one way. That is just asking for objections on top of the Metro objections

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why do you think the cycle lane between bus and pedestrians makes zero sense? Because bus passengers need to get to the sidewalk?

Copenhagen has exactly this layout and it works quite well. Whenever there is a bus stopping, the cyclists stop and let the passengers board/leave.
I've seen multiple physical altercations between cyclists and bus pax/drivers because of this issue on the roads at the moment.

·
Registered
504 Posts
IMO the orbital routes are a great idea, but very few of the routes into the city centre even make sense on paper. Shouldn't we (in terms of the bus) be focusing on local connectivity to services, shops and larger infrastructure like train stations?

Clongriffin > City Centre - surely people could be fed to the local DART line?

Swords > City Centre - will be a doubling-up of the Metro?

Ballymun > City Centre - this one isn't too awful until you get to Glasnevin, after that it's a total mess. Wouldn't this be better served by a Luas spur?

Finglas > Phibsborough - this is the only one that makes sense IMHO

Blanchardstown > City Centre - solved by expanding DART to (at least N3 Parkway) and I firmly believe that there should be a Luas spur through Phoenix Park, through Castleknock and out to Blanchardstown.

Lucan > City Centre - makes sense

Liffey Valley > City Centre - why not Liffey Valley to Heuston?

Clondalkin > Drimnagh - am I missing something as to why this is necessary?

Greenhills > City Centre - isn't this already served by Luas?

Kimmage > City Centre - great idea in theory, impossible without large-scale destruction.

Tallaght > Terenure - traffic is certainly an issue here, but I think this proposal will be worse. There has to be some other solution?

Rathfarnham > City Centre - see Kimmage above.

Bray > City Centre - again, doesn't it make more sense for these areas to be funnelling into the DART?

UCD > City Centre - actually think this one makes sense and there doesn't seem to be major impact.B

Blackrock > Merrion - is this one going to drive right next to the DART for 4km?

Ringsend > City Centre - the Quays (North and South) are ****ed and need to be completely re-thought. This is not a good proposal. Not to mention it should be served by DART Underground.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Having just moved into the Crumlin area i can comment on these!

The Clondalkin to Drimnagh is basically an addition to the Greenhills to City Centre - ie - it splits into two as it passes through Drimnagh from town.

The Luas serves Tallaght - but does nothing for Crumlin and Drimnagh village etc. Theres a wide swathe of places south of the Red line that doesn't have access to the Red Line. Plus the Luas is oversubscribed - more options are needed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having just moved into the Crumlin area i can comment on these!

The Clondalkin to Drimnagh is basically an addition to the Greenhills to City Centre - ie - it splits into two as it passes through Drimnagh from town.

The Luas serves Tallaght - but does nothing for Crumlin and Drimnagh village etc. Theres a wide swathe of places south of the Red line that doesn't have access to the Red Line. Plus the Luas is oversubscribed - more options are needed.

Is Drimnagh not fairly well served by Suir Rd and Goldenbridge stops?

·
Registered
186 Posts
IMO the orbital routes are a great idea, but very few of the routes into the city centre even make sense on paper. Shouldn't we (in terms of the bus) be focusing on local connectivity to services, shops and larger infrastructure like train stations?

Clongriffin > City Centre - surely people could be fed to the local DART line?

Swords > City Centre - will be a doubling-up of the Metro?

Ballymun > City Centre - this one isn't too awful until you get to Glasnevin, after that it's a total mess. Wouldn't this be better served by a Luas spur?

Finglas > Phibsborough - this is the only one that makes sense IMHO

Blanchardstown > City Centre - solved by expanding DART to (at least N3 Parkway) and I firmly believe that there should be a Luas spur through Phoenix Park, through Castleknock and out to Blanchardstown.

Lucan > City Centre - makes sense

Liffey Valley > City Centre - why not Liffey Valley to Heuston?

Kimmage > City Centre - great idea in theory, impossible without large-scale destruction.

Tallaght > Terenure - traffic is certainly an issue here, but I think this proposal will be worse. There has to be some other solution?

Rathfarnham > City Centre - see Kimmage above.

Bray > City Centre - again, doesn't it make more sense for these areas to be funnelling into the DART?

UCD > City Centre - actually think this one makes sense and there doesn't seem to be major impact.B

Blackrock > Merrion - is this one going to drive right next to the DART for 4km?

Ringsend > City Centre - the Quays (North and South) are ****ed and need to be completely re-thought. This is not a good proposal. Not to mention it should be served by DART Underground.
LUAS Red Line could not even remotely take the passengers from the Clondalkin and Tallaght buses - have you seen what the bus loadings are like? The Crumlin Road has three high frequency bus routes that are packed to the gills at peak times.

For anyone living south of Crumlin Road, LUAS is not a realistic option.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts