SkyscraperCity Forum banner

DUBLIN | Coopers Cross | Under Const.

48034 Views 169 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  Dub1992
Plans uploaded for the residential component of City Block 3.
Designed by O'Mahoney Pike Architects

The construction of a 2 to 7 storey over single basement residential development in 6 no. blocks with a gross floor area of c. 43,065 sq. metres (including basement of 9,264 sq. metres) accommodating 360 no. units comprising of 108 no 1 bed units, 198 no. 2 bed units and 54 no. 3 bed units. The development provides for a crèche of c 300 sq. metres and a cafe of 129 sq. metres
DSDZ3357/17

Urban Design Statement

Site Layout Plan

And now some CGIs... many CGIs

Higher quality from digitaldimensions.ie

Lower quality from DCC

See less See more
Reactions: 4
1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Meh, at least it's well back from the river and only takes a small bit of Mayor St frontage.

Average development and should be taller.
Building 2 storey houses on prime Docklands land in 2017 with a dire shortage of housing, offices and hotels shows what a broken and pathetic system we have. There seems to be a requirement to genuflect towards the locals. There were some 2 storey houses in the South Docks 20 years ago but they just got demolished as part of the redevelopment. If only the same thing could be done here.
Reactions: 2
Building 2 storey houses on prime Docklands land in 2017 with a dire shortage of housing, offices and hotels shows what a broken and pathetic system we have. There seems to be a requirement to genuflect towards the locals.
Bit of a broken record there with the obsession with "locals"...the system is dysfunctional - period. It facilitates any and every nimby/objector/crank :eek:hno:

They are building higher apartment blocks throughout the suburbs, even in Dublin, where their are also lots of "locals".....

And some of those are even (*holding nose*) local authority tenants!

Enough said....:cheers:
Reactions: 1
Why don't they buy the old houses to demolish them?
Why don't they buy the old houses to demolish them?
They can't CPO private houses unless there is some major state and public benefit and no one is going to privately sell them the houses as the value is to increase rapidly over the next decade. The houses have also specifically been mentioned as worth keeping in the Dublin Development plan so they wouldn't be allowed to be knocked. I think as red brick cottages go they are of decent pedigree and definitely better than 95% of the other houses in East Wall which are shacks essentially There aren't really any other two story old buildings anywhere in the IFSC, North Lotts or GCD. The other six non brick houses on Mayor Street Upper can definitely be knocked though with a further four houses up beside the Point ripe for the wrecking ball.

Its the 8 story instead of 15 story on the corner I would take issue with more so.

Also should be mentioned that a planning application has gone in to build a small 15 apartment building across the other side of sheriff street on church street east
Reactions: 3
Building 2 storey houses on prime Docklands land in 2017 with a dire shortage of housing, offices and hotels shows what a broken and pathetic system we have. There seems to be a requirement to genuflect towards the locals. There were some 2 storey houses in the South Docks 20 years ago but they just got demolished as part of the redevelopment. If only the same thing could be done here.
Really is shambolic stuff. Surely they could put the park area at the back of the houses instead of more shit two story houses

Would love to see Mick Wallace and the boys protesting about these two story houses creating a further housing crises rather than protesting outside IRES - one of the few companies developing apartments in the country
Would love to see Mick Wallace and the boys protesting about these two story houses creating a further housing crises rather than protesting outside IRES - one of the few companies developing apartments in the country
Especially as I can't see Mick getting too many votes in Sandyford, one way or another... :)
A chance to start moving finance workers out of suburban housing and within walking distance of office blocks and this undersized block of cubes is all they plan.
This is a disgrace.... honestly there is no reason to underbuild here at all, even raising it 5 or 6 floors would show some sort of ambition.
houses being built on this site? We could submit a joint observation ?
They can't CPO private houses unless there is some major state and public benefit and no one is going to privately sell them the houses as the value is to increase rapidly over the next decade. The houses have also specifically been mentioned as worth keeping in the Dublin Development plan so they wouldn't be allowed to be knocked. I think as red brick cottages go they are of decent pedigree and definitely better than 95% of the other houses in East Wall which are shacks essentially There aren't really any other two story old buildings anywhere in the IFSC, North Lotts or GCD. The other six non brick houses on Mayor Street Upper can definitely be knocked though with a further four houses up beside the Point ripe for the wrecking ball.

Its the 8 story instead of 15 story on the corner I would take issue with more so.

Also should be mentioned that a planning application has gone in to build a small 15 apartment building across the other side of sheriff street on church street east

Re the application for the 15 story that you mentioned - do you have any renders? Or what is the planning application and I'll see what I can see on the DCC site?
Who is the developer here or is it a receiver? Looking long term, the row of houses behind the existing houses might not be a bad idea; acquire the existing houses over the next decade, at which time they would have a very valuable plot in a great location and may be allowed to build to much higher than currently permitted (and hopefully beside a soon to be DART station).
Re the application for the 15 story that you mentioned - do you have any renders? Or what is the planning application and I'll see what I can see on the DCC site?
Read the post again, he didn't mention a 15 storey application, just a hypothetical 15 storeys instead of 8 and a 15 apartment application.
I thought DCC couldnt refuse anything that was 8 floors?
Read the post again, he didn't mention a 15 storey application, just a hypothetical 15 storeys instead of 8 and a 15 apartment application.

Ah yes - too bad.
Who is the developer here or is it a receiver? Looking long term, the row of houses behind the existing houses might not be a bad idea; acquire the existing houses over the next decade, at which time they would have a very valuable plot in a great location and may be allowed to build to much higher than currently permitted (and hopefully beside a soon to be DART station).

David Carson of Deloitte on behalf of NAMA is the Receiver. He's also the Receiver over the glass bottle site again on behalf of NAMA and the Receiver over the Dublin Maritime/Hales Freight site facing on to the Liffey near the point.

Whether these apartments actually ever get built is another story. At least they left the main corner part of the site free for development at some stage in the future.

I don't think they'll ever be allowed to knock the red brick houses. Marlet/formerly NewGeneration have been trying to buy up the four red brick houses across from Facebook's offices on the corner of the An Post site over the last while but even they don't believe they can knock them (and they are even crapper than these red bricks). For some reason red bricks are pretty much sacred in the planners eyes unless they're very run down or relatively new.
Preserving existing houses is one thing, but building NEW ONES beside them is absolutely woeful.
Developers have their own strategy and sometimes it is impossible to figure out what drives them. Like that 12 never used flats in Dundrum shopping centre or development in Cabinteely I mentioned month ago where planning was rejected (and successfully appealed) because planers wanted higher density and developer wanted just houses.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=141100466&highlight=#post141100466
Developers have their own strategy and sometimes it is impossible to figure out what drives them.
!! :nuts:

Nope - developers, if they wish to remain developers, need to make money. That's what drives them.

Our insane "planners" make both making money and delivering the infrastructure on which every one of us depends vastly more costly and inefficient.

Everybody pays for our "planners" incompetence/ideology...one way or another :eek:hno:

The nonsense in SDZ Block 3 is what you get when dysfunctional "planners" are given vastly excessive power....
This is depressing. Seriously, 7 stories. More pointless internal courtyards that no one will use.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts