·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Nice to see the old station being redeveloped too

Though I dont understand how an office will work inside a building like that with so few windows, but anyway..Im sure they found a way to make it work

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
From my older post:

Harcourt Road and Adelaide Road (former Telephone Exchange), Dublin 2

18,500 m2 gross office space / 9 storeys

application 2388/18

The additional info request is mostly regarding the corner building's (St. James House - owned by the Ronan Group) redevelopment opportunities.

·
níféidirliomdulacholadh
1,292 Posts
Nice to see the old station being redeveloped too

Though I dont understand how an office will work inside a building like that with so few windows, but anyway..Im sure they found a way to make it work
Pretty woeful use of that building, an office. Eugh. Would have been great if it could have been salvaged as a venue, or at least a market/restaurant/something with public space.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Pretty woeful use of that building, an office. Eugh. Would have been great if it could have been salvaged as a venue, or at least a market/restaurant/something with public space.
Well mixed use, theres a cafe/restaurant as well as offices. I think it was a really good location for a nightclub but apparently no longer feasible , dublin doesnt seem to be good at opening markets so that probably would never have happened either, theres a market openin in st andrews church anyway

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's not entirely office space. "The converted building will house three new retail/restaurant units and about 1,440sq m (15,500sq ft) of office space". What they're proposing isn't surprising. A double height ground floor would have been wasteful considering the demand for office space in the area and any restaurants or shops on the second floor of that building wouldn't get much trade.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another win for Johnny Ronan!!

Permission granted for this 9 storey development by ABP

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/301/R301931.pdf
Has RGRE not appealed the permission and lost? Is this not a win for Clancourt? Decent density for the location either way and creates a walkway and public realm so the council and ABP were always going to be happy with it as it adds more connectivity for bikes and walking etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
As above, RGRE were the ones who delayed this scheme by appealing it to ABP:

Submission by Tom Phillips and Associates, on behalf of the third-party appellant
Ronan Group Real Estate, owners of St James House which adjoins the site to the
east. Supportive of principle of redevelopment of the site however the proposal is
sub optimal.
Honestly RGRE's appeal is flagrant NIMBYism / for anti-competition reasons. The points they cited as their reason for appeal border on absurd, just nitpicking on any reason to appeal the scheme to ABP in order to slow the timeline for this development to favour their own / benefit themselves financially.. Reasons cited include: Not highlighting ajoining land on the planning maps in the correct colour & that applying for this before the full announcement of the EPR of the Metrolink & Dart Underground was pre-mature (though RGRE did the exact same thing with Tara House..)

As the Applicant replied with: "Appeal is without substance". Yes, definitely.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The visual highlight of my luas ride into town is about to be destroyed and replaced by a high-rise tower :eek:hno:

Another nail in the UNESCO coffin....
We often talk about the worst or ugliest building in Ireland or in Dublin regularly and there are buildings put forward that I think are at least unique or of a certain architectural style that is from a specific era that is potentially rare or getting rarer but this really has to be the worst building in Ireland on just about every front. At least Hawkins and house lets in a bit of light!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts