Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Magic dust ok..
Ill believe it when I see it, same with Iveagh Markets

Article didnt mention anything about the development of the plaza on the fish market site though. IS this happening in some form? If not, its nearly a waste of money, it could be amazing it looks so good in the render, but if that site is left vacant itll remain a depressing horrible underused space and the market area will not be as popular as it could be

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yeah, the local lefties complained that creating jobs and attracting tourists to the area isn't enough community benefit, they need to build a sports area which will rarely be used and attract anti social behaviour as well. It ensures some local headbanger will get reelected to the council next time round.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yeah, the local lefties complained that creating jobs and attracting tourists to the area isn't enough community benefit, they need to build a sports area which will rarely be used and attract anti social behaviour as well. It ensures some local headbanger will get reelected to the council next time round.
Well that area will just remain a shithole forever then. Nobody will visit those markets after they spend millions on them. How was that even allowed fly? This is a city centre site, it should have buildings on it, not sports facilities

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good to hear. But its such a joke at this stage, 15 years later absolutely nothing has happened
I used to walk past it every day to get to work. It’s pointless until the area around it is redeveloped and opened up. The junction at Mary Street and Capel Street discourages people from walking to it, the buildings around it are almost scary —aulfellas coming out of dingy pubs at 8am, a ******* single level car park, total produce bringing trucks through the area all hours of the day, dogs eating errant fruit and getting diarrhea all over the sidewalks...it’s a nightmare of a spot.

Even more unfortunate because there’s a nice community living around it that could be benefitting from it. I hope that a council rejuvenation of the market is just the start for those blocks. Otherwise it won’t succeed. And I don’t trust the council for a second to understand that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
One of the 3 early houses in that area - the REALLY skanky one - closed down a few months ago and has had a super-high-end refit to be a poitin and craft beer bar. It now opens at 5pm and has door security.

The other two are nowhere near as bad and won't have let the crowd from the Capel/Claddagh/Cameo (its had lots of names) in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The Hendrick is further down, past Smithfield. It's a 8-storey Hilton hotel being built on this site with nearly 250 rooms and a restaurant and located not even 50m from the market on the site of the old motor tax office. Hopefully this will help kick-start the regen of the wider area by bringing in a new influx of tourists.

I forget what's being built on this massive site here: Is that still proposed to be used for an extension of the market?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is the long term vision for this city centre plot seriously just all weather pitches? Surely couldnt be, disgraceful if so
It had prior planning granted in 2015 to become like an outdoor market/games area/eating area so the pitches aren't really a step-down from anything but I would have hoped something would have been built here, especially with how much time and people seemed to be involved in clearing this site - those pitches must have cost an absolute fortune!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The reason for the pitch:

·
Registered
395 Posts
The reason for the pitch:
Reminds me of this large site just across the liffey.

I used to walk past it at least twice a day on the way to work and save for a couple of days it was being used for parking for a nearby film shoot, I never saw anyone else in there over a near two-year period.

Then news come in it may be developed and suddenly within days there's a no-permission "community garden" on site and the some of the local politicians are in up-roar over saving the local's pride and joy.. With posters going up saying it had been a centre point of the community over the last few years.. When it had absolutely only gone in like a week beforehand. Madness.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reminds me of this large site just across the liffey.

I used to walk past it at least twice a day on the way to work and save for a couple of days it was being used for parking for a nearby film shoot, I never saw anyone else in there over a near two-year period.

Then news come in it may be developed and suddenly within days there's a no-permission "community garden" on site and the some of the local politicians are in up-roar over saving the local's pride and joy.. With posters going up saying it had been a centre point of the community over the last few years.. When it had absolutely only gone in like a week beforehand. Madness.

I remember that too. Thought I was mistaken actually

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.