Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought id start a thread for images of the Docklands area and for the stuff that does not merit a real mention but that might be a bit quirky or interesting.

Innovative Chimney Park opened in Dublin Docklands!

Docklands Chimney Park, an innovative children's playground area and new community amenity, was officially opened today by John Gormley, TD, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government. Developed by the Docklands Authority, the 1.5 hectare (3.7 acre) park is located at the base of the historic red brick chimney which gives it its name, near Grand Canal Square in Dublin's South Docklands.

Throughout 2007, 2008 and 2009 a series of extensive consultation meetings and workshops were held with all stakeholders, interested parties and the appointed design team to research and address the hopes, ideas and concerns of all, regarding the Chimney Park space.

The innovative ideas generated during the consultation process have been integrated into the park with creative features such a mirror wall; a wobbly play platform; a water play feature; palm trees and a blue lounging wall. Children from City Quay National School also created a special poem 'Talking Chimney' that has been engraved into the seats throughout the park.

Minister Gormley said that Docklands Chimney Park is both a neighbourhood playground and a meeting point; a place that offers opportunities for local children and adults to get to know each other, helping to build friendships and communities. "Chimney Park is intended to primarily provide for the amenity and play requirements of all children and families living in the area and also to serve the working and visiting population. The final design has transformed the site into an oasis for children, office workers, teenagers and local residents, for both energetic play and recreation" he said.

www.ddda.ie

The chimney preserved in the middle was integral to this old gas works site near Grand Canal Dock on the Southside of the Liffey.

Old image of Grand Canal Docks area prior to development

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures by informatique on flickr who takes alot of excellent pictures in the area. These are from August.

Grand Canal Theatre area on the Southside designed by Daniel Libeskind (I really like these buildings I have to say with the sharp angular features)

Generous tree planting near Grand Canal Dock

Back to the Northside and the new park on the Royal Canal taking shape next to the Convention center.

New "Future Systems" bridge is quite unique.

Ship against other Southside developments fronting the river.

One of those "floating" restaurants on the river

Samuel Beck Bridge opposite Convention Center (don't know what that structure is for on the left)

Historic CHQ building

Wndmill lane old U2 studios at Hanover quay were all the U2 nuts go to pay homage

The white chequered building was meant to be a 5 star hotel. To my knowledge it may still not be occupied but it's an interesting statement none the less.

I can't believe it's yet another apartment block.

An interesting atrium skylight feature on this building on the Quays on the Southside

Outside the Convention Center on the road they have left two old structures which I believe may have been used to lift coal or some such.

The Plaza at Grand Canal Dock is a large sculptured open area outside the theatre. It is a fantastic design achievement IMO and is stunningly lighted at night.

Not sure what this entrance is or where it leads.

Another impressive shot of the sharp angles in the architecture

The lines are so straight and precise.

And another of the bridge again looking toward the Northside of the quays.

Pictures by informatique on Flickr.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Nice pictures. Shame about the buildings... nothing anything of any great architectural merit apart from the bridge IMO

·
Advanced
309 Posts
Judging from the pictures, that part of Dublin looks really nice, however few highrises would certainly give this district even a better image :)

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's a very nice area. I only really chose around the theatre with the flickr pics by informatique but it's much wider then that. I also disagree with Plank that there is no architectural merit particularly with the Lieberskind buildings. Clearly they are not run of the mill corporate boxes and neither is the theatre which looks fantastic IMO. Very impressive inside too. Obviously there are alot of corporate box like buildings down there but they do have tasteful colouring in the glass and are very well illuminated at night. The area has it's faults but compared to 5 or 6 years ago it's completely transformed. Hopefully in the next 5 years we will see some high rises come through.

The Montevetro block is beside Grand Canal Dock which does puncture the monotony somewhat along with Alto Vetro and the Millenium tower building.

·
COYS
1,739 Posts
I think it's a great financial district!! As good as Oslo's or Copenhagen's. Infact they all look quite similar. I really hope Titanic Quarter will eventually look like this. The docklands and TQ have a very similar site shape anyway, so fingers crossed.

docklands dublin by JimmyPierce, on Flickr

Dublin Docklands by Ben Sollis (CelticVisions), on Flickr

110727-dublin-eos50d-081a by Thomas Mulchi, on Flickr

Dublin Docklands by Nitestar62, on Flickr

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think it's a great financial district!!

I would not describe the Southside there as a Financial district myself. On that side of the river is mostly law firms and more normal trading service companies. There are one or two financial firms there but most are in the IFSC on the other side of the river which is what you see when you come out of Connolly. That has a very different vibe about it with suits everywhere and people looking busy and worried:)

Ulster Bank is in fact also on the Southside and it is a building I dislike because it is an inaccessible fortress. There is no street or path through it allowing any interaction as is normal in most developments of it's kind today. It's a square block that must be walked around which is a pity given it's location.

http://www.photaki.com/picture-ulster-bank-dublin_178811.htm

Ironically with Titanic Quarter development and Dublin Docklands it's a fact that as long as the property market remains static with refusal to lend there will be no new construction after what is underway is finished. Both developments are dependent on the very banks occupying these buildings. It was Irish banks that mainly lent recklessly into both property markets which we are now picking the bill up for. But hopefully when they get in a posistion to lend again construction will resume in a more sustainable way.

Despite that alot of good stuff has been done.

·
22,358 Posts
Actually the majority of Titanic Quarter isn't offices. It's primarily a residential and cultural quarter with the plan for corporate space. The corporate space that has been built is already occupied.

Add to that the flourishing science and innovation sector which will see the science park expanded and the new digital and creative campus, expanded movie studios and the new Belfast MET.

The financial services campus is still in the process of being agreed, TQ is still progressing regardless.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The property market is in a coma all over this island. Some commercial developments that are pre leased or bought out in Dublin, Belfast or Cork will go ahead. Two examples in Dublin would be Google and Bank of New York which is likely to purchase the Anglo Irish Bank shell to finish it. That's the only way for the next few years things can proceed. Forget residential development. That's finished for a good few years. There is no bank going to lend money for major residential development anywhere in Ireland North or South. The market is dead for the time being. Some cultural stuff may go ahead with Government support. The days of massive development all at once like in Dublin Docklands or somewhere like Titanic Quarter are over for quite a while IMO. The best hope for now is to see the individual commercial developments proceed.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
The property market is in a coma all over this island. Some commercial developments that are pre leased or bought out in Dublin, Belfast or Cork will go ahead. Two examples in Dublin would be Google and Bank of New York which is likely to purchase the Anglo Irish Bank shell to finish it. That's the only way for the next few years things can proceed. Forget residential development. That's finished for a good few years. There is no bank going to lend money for major residential development anywhere in Ireland North or South. The market is dead for the time being. Some cultural stuff may go ahead with Government support. The days of massive development all at once like in Dublin Docklands or somewhere like Titanic Quarter are over for quite a while IMO. The best hope for now is to see the individual commercial developments proceed.[/Q

Your comment makes me sad but I am afraid you are right my friend.
Ireland is in a coma and it is only going to get worse before better.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your comment makes me sad but I am afraid you are right my friend.
Ireland is in a coma and it is only going to get worse before better.

I'm firmly of the belief that the worst is over. The statistics are in the right direction. It will take a few years but the banks will lend again and things will get going - we have a young population - we have demand and both parts of the island have solid growth potential. :cheers: I'm optimistic.

·
Registered Use
403 Posts
Grand perspective of Point Village posted recently by the Aerchór. Must have been taken in early 2012 as 'Deh Wheel' is still there.

Pity about the mind-numbingly unimaginative architecture. The area is crying out for a tower or some sort of focal feature. Something..

Click for zoomage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You'd lose the will to live at this rate waiting for a tower to go up. The sad thing is that it's one of the few parts of the city that could easily accomodate more than one.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New visitor attraction across from the Convention Center on the southside just opened, old restored diving bell.

I had the pleasure of walking along the quays down here yesterday morning and the place was absolutely buzzing - mostly suited types on their way to work but lots of cyclists, normal people and packed restaurants. It's a fantastic area all together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts