Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DCC are preparing to develop the Pigeon House Precinct in Poolbeg. Documents have been uploaded seeking "expressions of interest for the development of
this property to provide for a wide range of uses including creative, technological, green, artistic and community uses". Hopefully we should see this get moving pretty soon as they intend that any appeal to ABP will have to be made before August 2020.

Proposed brief for the development of the Pigeon House Precinct, Ringsend, Dublin 4. -DCC

Unique opportunity to develop the Pigeon House Hotel, The former Power Station and Dock Area, Pigeon House Road, Poolbeg Peninsula, Dublin 4. - DCC

I'd love to see ESB dispose/develop of their lands along side this. The Government should look at a Poolbeg East SDZ on the ESB lands. Huge opportunity here to link it in with Poolbeg West SDZ via a park and possibly extend the future Poolbeg Luas down to here.

Existing Site:

DCC commissioned a feasibility study for the area by Howley Hayes Architects last year:

http://www.howleyhayes.ie/projects/pigeon-house/

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Lets just hope it doesn't turn into the protracted farce that redeveloping Battersea turned into..

I've never ventured to that part of the city, it looks interesting but surely having a giant wastewater treatment plant immediately downwind would be a major drawback in ever making it an attractive area?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yeh, a couple of my friends went to visit that building during open house weekend. Said there was a pungeont and dominating odour of shit throughout the whole area.
Itd be great to see that building redeveloped as its really interesting but I dont think its feasible, I dont know what kind of function it could possibly have that would attract people to come there from so far out of the city, itd have to be some kind of very unique tourist experiene or something. Dublin doesnt really have its own major unique museum though, like akin to Belfasts titanic museum, well guinness brewery I suppose, but something more educational or interactive could be good

·
Registered
659 Posts
Please do!

Bring in a wrecking ball for those two chimneys and take down those god forbidden greatest curse of an eyesore to ever grace the Dublin skyline.
Absolutely agree... I know a lot of people like these industrial eye sores (iconic, reminds me of home etc), but when we have to resort to calling these things landmarks... Please people, these yokes are only landmarks because they are the only bloody things we can see from most vantage points in the city, can we move on and demolish ASAP. (I won't bring up the relocation of Dublin Port at this point :))

The ESB have recommended that they are pulled down due to age and costs relating to maintenance and security. Of course, DCC in their wisdom agreed to put them on the RPS in 2015, but I think the ESB still have a final say on their fate in consultation with the city should things change.

As a nation, could we build something a little more iconic for the capital city, after all, DCC did us proud with the Spire, right? (cough).

Auld Dubliner

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yeh, a couple of my friends went to visit that building during open house weekend. Said there was a pungeont and dominating odour of shit throughout the whole area.
Itd be great to see that building redeveloped as its really interesting but I dont think its feasible, I dont know what kind of function it could possibly have that would attract people to come there from so far out of the city, itd have to be some kind of very unique tourist experiene or something. Dublin doesnt really have its own major unique museum though, like akin to Belfasts titanic museum, well guinness brewery I suppose, but something more educational or interactive could be good
I wish there was an ounce of vision in Dublin. You could build something like the city of arts and sciences in Valencia - i.e. an arts and entertainment complex full of interesting architecture. Things Dublin doesn't have that could form part of it: a science and technology museum, an aquarium, an opera house, a planetarium, and an indoor theme park. And to top it off you could build something like the CN tower to give spectacular views of Dublin bay.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
This Pigeon House project was brought up before, probably buried in the Full Summary thread. I said at the time and I'll say it again, the Port should shift down to the ESB lands further east and the existing Port area should be developed as an extension of the IGBS fronting onto the river. Developing a new area on an isolated patch of land cut off from the rest of the city by a container port, fuel storage facilities, sewage treatment plant power station and incinerator isn't a good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts