Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread fail

Thread for opinions and views of architecture in Dublin. From shopfronts to old buildings, office blocks and apartments give your opinion in this nice and tidy thread. Post about the sidewalks and the roads, the lamp posts and postboxes. Anything that contributes (or takes away as the case may be) to the built environment. Pictures really welcome!

Bitch, moan, praise to your heart's content. But please let's keep this to the built environment, nothing else.

Go raibh mile maith agat.

:cheers:

EDIT: It was worth a try!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
This may not be the place to post this BUT I've set up a Facebook page for venting about anti social behaviour in Dublin, as well as a space to discuss poor city maintenance. I'm using it as a method of contacting Politicians, DCC, The Tourist Board and the Journalists as I find it is more effective. Feel free to like it you have any interest. Thanks folks :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clean-up-Dublin/1399085506975900?fref=n

·
22,346 Posts
Was this not a thread to discuss all things such as paving, public realm etc? Because if you looked at the FB page, that's exactly what I am doing.

Indeed! Urban landscape comprises more than buildings. What's the point of nice buildings if the streets look like shit.

·
Hipster Scum
5,499 Posts
I thought this might be relevant to this thread, I found a great site which contains the original illustrations and information of various buildings, either completed or proposed designs. It's an Irish site but also has sections for cities worldwide: http://archiseek.com/

Edit: I realise this reads like a plug, but I honestly just find old plans fascinating.

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good site. Interesting stuff. The forum is more nimbyseek than archiseek though.

@ Daveydonnelly - yes but not the social going's on in the parts of town you happen to hang out in.

I'd like this thread to be for as you mention - footpaths, street furniture, monuments, buildings etc. I think we are missing a thread like that and there is loads of interesting stuff that could be posted in here.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Good site. Interesting stuff. The forum is more nimbyseek than archiseek though. @ Daveydonnelly - yes but not the social going's on in the parts of town you happen to hang out in. I'd like this thread to be for as you mention - footpaths, street furniture, monuments, buildings etc. I think we are missing a thread like that and there is loads of interesting stuff that could be posted in here.
lol you've got to be joking? How often do you come into Town? Because I hate to break it to you Odlum but all of Dublin City Centre has a problem with anti social behaviour these days. It's not limited to the North side if that is what you are implying. Anyway, we are going off topic but I will say that you are being rude for absolutely no reason. The FB page is also about shoddy public realm standards ( footpaths, lighting etc) and using the page as a means to highlight it.. As I said in my previous post. That's exactly what this thread is about.

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, we are going off topic but I will say that you are being rude for absolutely no reason.

I am not being rude and I don't agree with your assertions incidentally but I just don't want to see threads dragged off topic with this obsession of yours because it's happened numerous times now. You have your own thread for this which you started yourself.

This is irrelevant to the other threads which are best kept to the topics or else it becomes messy. It says in the OP what this thread is for. I don't see what is so difficult to understand about that? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I actually give up. The FB page was also about poor standards in Dublin in relation to paving, lighting, maintenance etc. I believe the last two posts that I put in there are in relation to poor maintenance of the public realm. Therefore, it's relevant. That said, I have zero appetite for arguing about it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Thank you for posting a link to your Facebook page. I'll be sure to like it!

I also agree, in most areas of Dublin anti social behaviour is a huge problem. I lived in Dublin City centre for a year and almost every day I had junkies, beggars and knackers all hassling me. The worst event was when a chav tried to grab my bike of me at Christ Church.

I love Dublin but the anti social behaviour is atrocious.

Clearly Odlum is never in Dublin City centre, probably held up in his tin bunker in Tallaght! Hilarious because he's the most prolific Dublin poster on here.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thank you for posting a link to your Facebook page. I'll be sure to like it!

I also agree, in most areas of Dublin anti social behaviour is a huge problem. I lived in Dublin City centre for a year and almost every day I had junkies, beggars and knackers all hassling me. The worst event was when a chav tried to grab my bike of me at Christ Church.

I love Dublin but the anti social behaviour is atrocious.

Clearly Odlum is never in Dublin City centre, probably held up in his tin bunker in Tallaght! Hilarious because he's the most prolific Dublin poster on here.
He's a member of Fianna Fail - he clearly sees reality differently to everybody else.

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Given the huge time and effort I put in to this forum that I spent months pushing really hard to just have created a number of years a go it's disappointing to see it go the way it's obviously going. What I can't understand is why it is being targeted like it is? What kick do you get out of wrecking it? I don't understand that.

I'd have thought, if anything, the subject matter would be a turn off for obvious trolling but I was wrong.

·
22,346 Posts
Given the huge time and effort I put in to this forum that I spent months pushing really hard to just have created a number of years a go it's disappointing to see it go the way it's obviously going. What I can't understand is why it is being targeted like it is? What kick do you get out of wrecking it? I don't understand that.

I'd have thought, if anything, the subject matter would be a turn off for obvious trolling but I was wrong.
You can't dictate what people post Odlum or what threads they create, you're not the site admin.

They are bad sides to Dublin and great sides, there's nothing damaging in mentioning both. Every other city thread on this site have people complaining about things and criticising because no city is perfect and every city has plenty of faults.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.