SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.carisbrook.org.nz/index.html

The Forsyth Barr Stadium at University Plaza will be New Zealand's largest indoor arena with the capacity for more than 30,000 avid fans.

The multipurpose, fully-roofed venue will be capable of hosting a wide range of music, entertainment, cultural and sporting events.

Planned for completion by 2011, construction is already underway on site.

Forsyth Barr Stadium at University Plaza is set to become the southern showcase for passion and excitement.

The plan is to have the stadium completed in time for the Rugby World Cup in September 2011, work started at the end of June. If the stadium is not completed in time, Dunedin's games will be held at the aging Carisbrook as pictured below.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Thanks Bing! Off topic, but is that the Silverdome Wrestlemania III crowd in your avatar?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Better have a high roof if South Africa are going to play any games there. Francois Steyn will just see it as a challenge for his right boot!

Looks a cool stadium though. I've always thought Carisbrook was a great old ground, nice to see it being replaced with something equally unique.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i think this design is monumental but the only problem i have with it is that it appears that there is no way they can add seats to it

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Yeah, adding extra seating would be tricky, but Dunedin does only have a population of 120,000 odd.

·
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine
1,652 Posts
So this will also be a football stadium? Not just a rugby stadium?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That is pretty fantastic, I really like the modular end idea for concert stage and basketball use. Its nice to keep big venues in use year round.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
i think this design is monumental but the only problem i have with it is that it appears that there is no way they can add seats to it
This stadium will seat nearly 1/4th of the city of Dunedin.

South Island is a fairly sparsely-populated place.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
nice stadium. is there any chance of an a league club starting there?
NZ Warriors in the NRL has indicated a willingness to play exhibition games; so too has the Wellington Phoenix, NZ's soccer team in Australia's A League. Main sporting use is for the Highlanders Super 14 rugby franchise and the Otago provincial rugby team in the Air NZ Cup (as well as international rugby tests)...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Better have a high roof if South Africa are going to play any games there. Francois Steyn will just see it as a challenge for his right boot!
According to the Otago Daily Times the lowest part of the roof will be 30 metres and the highest part 35 metres. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff has a roof height of 33 metres.

·
Registered
466 Posts
This will be an awesome indoor stadium once completed. The first real indoor arena 30k stadium in NZ. Good on Dunedin for it's vision. Maybe it should be called Hydroponic Arena - where history will be made and grown!! :)

1 - 20 of 156 Posts