Votes: 9 12.9%
  • less than 3,5

Votes: 5 7.1%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of Dunedin, and the city enjoy! Population around 120-125 000. IMO its very sexy european looking city, I LOVE THE PLACE.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love that university building the centre of innovation that glass is so cool and know what you mean with the sexy european thing

·
18,522 Posts
I don't think Dunedin is European at all - the housing stock is totally unlike most European countries. The city centre looks a lot like Edinburgh with the grey stone and the Scottish architecture, but overall I'd say it's uniquely NZ.

As this is a skyline sub-forum not "rate the city" (as I'd rate Dunedin highly) I'd say that Dunedin doesn't have a skyline as it's one small cluster in the centre and nothing in the suburbs, sorry!

Great looking city though!

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
Its a dramatic very beautiful city. Full of wonderful 'old' (1800's) buildings. The photos youve posted although giving an indication dont really do the city justice. Where the First Church? The Octagon, The University Clock Tower, John Knox Church, Queens Gardens buildings? etc etc etc. Despite the fact it is a knock off version of Edinburgh I'm sure a Scot would feel right at home here.

This is one city that doesnt need a huge skyline. It looks great as it is. A real gem. The natural surrounds are magnificent too.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^Yes I totally agree with you ML, I would hate for it to be over developed. And sorry about the pictures I was only really trying to get pictures that matched the criteria of the Skyline. Beautiful city none the less.

·
18,522 Posts
Its a dramatic very beautiful city. Full of wonderful 'old' (1800's) buildings. The photos youve posted although giving an indication dont really do the city justice. Where the First Church? The Octagon, The University Clock Tower, John Knox Church, Queens Gardens buildings? etc etc etc. Despite the fact it is a knock off version of Edinburgh I'm sure a Scot would feel right at home here.

This is one city that doesnt need a huge skyline. It looks great as it is. A real gem. The natural surrounds are magnificent too.
Yes, very true mate, but this is a skyline thread and Dunedin doesn't have much of one - not a European one dominated by spires and flat blocks, an American one with a glittering CBD or a South American or Asian one with a sea of skyscrapers so it's very hard to be objective and score it highly.

Like I said, for the city itself I'd give it a solid 7, but for the skyline a 2. If you look at other cities in this subforum you'll find they're ONLY rated on their skyline, not on the qualities that the city has as a whole.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^Yeah true, The city were I currently live is on here (Skylines thread) and it has a small skyline similar to Dunedin, Hence why I thought id chuck Dunedin in here :).

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it doesn't have a massive Skyline but it does have a incredibly dense feel in the inner city and around the harbor.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Yes, very true mate, but this is a skyline thread and Dunedin doesn't have much of one - not a European one dominated by spires and flat blocks, an American one with a glittering CBD or a South American or Asian one with a sea of skyscrapers so it's very hard to be objective and score it highly.

Like I said, for the city itself I'd give it a solid 7, but for the skyline a 2. If you look at other cities in this subforum you'll find they're ONLY rated on their skyline, not on the qualities that the city has as a whole.
Most of the cities on this forum don't have skylines Svarty. 90% of the European ones don't and they still get high ratings.
But I totally agree that Dunedin only deserves a low mark for it's ''petit'' skyline.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts