Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since tthe World Cup in 2010, Durban has been undergoing a lot of transformation and repositioning.

Here is the first of many Durban 60 second "Sound of the city" films which will be shown on all National Geographic Channels for the next 3 years... great visuals of the diversity of the city.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I love Durban (well, I could do without the humidity), went there three times when I lived in SA. I could spend months testing the various Indian restaurants. So far my favourite has been Al-Khair down on Bertha Mkhize St. Architecture wise there are alot of nice old colonial style buildings, however alot of central Durban could really do with a revamp. We never really found our way to a nightclub, are there any good bar streets or is it all spread out?

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Durban Golden Mile of Beaches

Durban At Sunrise

Ushaka Moyo Pier

Reflecting pools sunrise

Joe Cools

Beachfront cleanup

Morning prayer

Breakfast smoke

Rollerblade Stretch

Sardine Sunrise waiting for the sardines to offload..

Sardines: They pulled the nets in front of the Blue Waters Hotel..

Morning fishing

Morning surf at Ushaka

Sunrise surf

All photos supplied by Prakash Bhikha

Golden Mile Beach

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great Surfing and Boarding Beachfront shots

Durban: Surf Central

Surfing in Durban

By travelbug365

Can You Surf in a Sun Hat?

By Grace Flora

YES

By Grace Flora

And YES

By Bex Morton

Corporate surfing?

By The Snoozing Traveller Lens

Here I come

By Grace Flora

By Bex Morton

Surf Artificial

By Camila Ribeiro Leite

Go for it

By Grace Flora

By Grace Flora

Rest

By Grace Flora

Getting ready to jump

By The Snoozing Traveller Lens

Durban Fun On Wheels

Skate Park

By WCities

By Grace Flora

By Grace Flora

By Grace Flora

Biker at the skate park

By Hollywood North

Skate Boarding

By AndyHiggins

By feminicol

Air Biking

By ThisParticularGreg

Air Skating

By ThisParticularGreg

Durban skater

By icedsoul photography

durban bmx

By icedsoul photography

By icedsoul photography

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Downtown Durban

Gugu Dlamini Park - This is on city walking route 2

Loco Plaza

Francis Farewell Square

Church Walk

Mynah Bus Rank

Medwood Gardens

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love Durban (well, I could do without the humidity), went there three times when I lived in SA. I could spend months testing the various Indian restaurants. So far my favourite has been Al-Khair down on Bertha Mkhize St. Architecture wise there are alot of nice old colonial style buildings, however alot of central Durban could really do with a revamp. We never really found our way to a nightclub, are there any good bar streets or is it all spread out?
Hey there, if you take a look at some of the photos i have just posted you will see some big changes to the Durban CBD, not in terms of new buildings, but in terms of maintanence and beautification of the public realm.

From a party district, there are a few different ones around the city, but the longest in terms of restaurants/bars/cafes/clubs would be Florida Road. Will get some pics to highlight the different districts

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even though Durban is a balmy subtropical city, it is not more than a 2,5 hour drive to the snow in winter and this picture capetures that perfectly.

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The true diversity of Durban is the people that make up this city

Finally had time to upload some pics. Durban is undoubtedly Africa's definitive beach city.

These pics highlight Durban's biggest asset: its unrivalled diversity. No other city in South Africa, let alone the rest of Africa, even comes close. In fact, few cities globally can compete with Durban's astounding diversity. Black, White, Coloured, South Asian, East Asian, Middle Eastern. Traditional African, Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Bhuddists. Durban has it all.

·
23,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gallery looking at uMhlanga, a wealthy resort suburb 20km from downtown Durban. This area has also developed into the cities second CBD, but that is up on the ridge a few km's inland from the coastal hotel/apartment belt.

The Beach

1 - 20 of 25 Posts