SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Name: Durban Bay House
Use: Mixed - Office and retail
Completion: Mid 2010

Old mutual are undertaking a R180 million redevelopment of this building which includes:

Cladding of the entire exterior of the building to modernise it
Revamp of all internal facilities to make the building AAA grade
Modernising all communal areas
Increasing parking capacity
Redevelopment of the retail area and the introduction of new tenants

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
guys in durban would have noticed work on this builing, i myself didnt know the extent. Seems like it is going to be competely recladded with a glass skin like Civitas in Pretoria! Will be a fantastic change and great positive investment by Old Mutual

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
That's a good project, well done OM.

Are there lots of upgrades taking place in the CBD Mike?

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ plenty. Went for lunch in town last saturday (yes i really did) and i walked around. The area where the new parkade is going up is a hive of activity and the new retail stores (all 77 of them) are being kitted out and include tenants like Mugg and Bean, Vida, Prato, Converse, @home, Boardmans, KFC and many more. Te way they have revamped things there is terribly exciting for the future of the cbd.

This development is showing further confidence in turning our dense cbd around.

Plans are also advanced for the redevelopment of two towers near city hall. The old std bank tower is going to be gutted and will also get a new facade. The other building i am not sure which it is.

The Royal is undergoing a multimillion rand redevelopment and the entire front portion of the hotel is to become AAA offices with a new facade (work on this has already begun...

So yes lots on the go.

But i personally am very excited to see more renders of this revamp!!

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
^^ plenty. Went for lunch in town last saturday (yes i really did) and i walked around. The area where the new parkade is going up is a hive of activity and the new retail stores (all 77 of them) are being kitted out and include tenants like Mugg and Bean, Vida, Prato, Converse, @home, Boardmans, KFC and many more. Te way they have revamped things there is terribly exciting for the future of the cbd.

Plans are also advanced for the redevelopment of two towers near city hall. The old std bank tower is going to be gutted and will also get a new facade. The other building i am not sure which it is.

The Royal is undergoing a multimillion rand redevelopment and the entire front portion of the hotel is to become AAA offices with a new facade (work on this has already begun...

So yes lots on the go.

:banana: those are grea news for Durbs

Went for lunch in town last saturday (yes i really did) and i walked around.
:cheers:
This really means things are changing in Durbs ;)

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
^^The pics I posted on Monday, Old Mutual Parkade

I spoke about this revamp a while back in teh Durbs Discussion, the glass windows are being replaced with a greenish tint ones and theres a red shaft running down the entire side of the building so good to see 1 of or highrises getting a make over! :banana:

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^The pics I posted on Monday, Old Mutual Parkade

I spoke about this revamp a while back in teh Durbs Discussion, the glass windows are being replaced with a greenish tint ones and theres a red shaft running down the entire side of the building so good to see 1 of or highrises getting a make over! :banana:
and it seems to be a complete makeover!! i hope the glas being added to the bottom (in the renders) will cover the whole tower

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
whoo ho if this turns out half a good as Civitas then I will be so stoked. This was the big boy of Durban for many years and when I was a Kid, this and 320 West were the only big boys around.

Mike could you get render from your contacts on what facade will look like?

·
Explore
2,860 Posts
Excellent news!. It's one of the most prominent buildings in the CBD!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Wow! This is a great, welcome surprise. If the whole building ends up looking like this, that will be fantastic.

I was in the Durban CBD over the last 2 days at the US Consulate (yes, the US consulate is located right in the heart of the Durban CBD, in the Old Mutual Tower, 303 West Street), and the arcade is coming along very nicely. Will be very nice when done. I'm very happy that major investment is being made in the Durban downtown. When you drive down Smith Street, it feels like driving down the street of a North American city: wide streets and surrounded by towers. If the whole of the building is going to be covered in glass, it will really pick up Smith Street and give the downtown a really modern look. With that price tag attached to the project, I will be surprised if it's not the whole building.

·
the luf
791 Posts

So yes lots on the go.

Sounds very very promising! Great to hear. Now two problems to address: Litter/dirt and hawkers.

BTW, the building is going to add so so much.

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does anyone have contacts to get the exterior renders? Architects are Sphere designs

1 - 20 of 42 Posts