SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 148 Posts

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for posting that link. Here's the images. I'm sure the eventual product will look different (hopefully more iconic). I like the direct bridge link to the Point Waterfront. I hope there will be retail opportunities at the terminal (cafes, etc). The views will be fantastic and will help with financial sustainability.

I wonder who will operate the venue if it's used as a conference venue. Transnet? Transnet-City partnership? Will be good if the City gets appointed as the operator, for the venue to be utilised an ICC satellite campus. Will be an amazing setting. Will immediately add bulk to the ICC's capacity for mega events. The short distance between this venue and the ICC can easily be covered by a regular shuttle service (or People Mover buses) during major events.

as I mentioned in my post, these are conceptual images and in no way represent the final design as that will be supplied by the winning bidders in the tender process. If the winner is MSC then designs from their architects will be submitted and implemented. As such this is more an indication of the scale Transnet expect to have.

The venue will be operated by the winning bidder, ie MSC even in the none cruise season, so not by the city

·
Registered
427 Posts
Does anyone know when we can expect more info about the new cruise terminal? I feel like the process is really slow. When are they supposed to make decisions on the bids?

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. I am glad the proposal includes retail and restaurant offerings. The views from those restaurants and retail components would really add value to the Point Waterfront area, complementing the existing views over the beach, ocean, and harbour entrance on the other side of the waterfront.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
This development will play a major unifying role in the area. I can see more larger scale commercial development happening to leverage the auxiliary services required by the terminal.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Although Transnet has appplied for EIA approval for a a 6-storey office-block for this site, it seems Transnet may elect not relocate its national Portnet headquarters here, as originally planned. Instead, the parking block of the decommissioned Durban International Airport (which was built to be multi-purposive, including to function as office-space) will house Portnet (apparently this has already occured / is occuring?). Perhaps Portnet wanting to be headquarted at the new digout harbour makes sense, seeing as the new digout will have much greater capacity than the Port of Durban. However, it would have been nice to have a major new development at the Point.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Interesting. Seems a bit strange for the HQ to go to the Durban airport now. I can understand the space being used as a site office, but HQ at a construction site is a bit weird.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I also thought it was strange, but in the long run, the dugout will be the most significant port in SA, with capacity exceeding even the Port of Durban. Plus they save on the cost of constructing a new building from scratch, at a time they have other major capex priorities. However, I would hate to have offices overlooking one of the biggest construction projects in Africa! The excavation dust (billions of tons of soil!) during construction will be horrendous! Thankfully, their offices are immediately adjacent to the N2, so they will be less affected by the construction traffic chaos than being deeper in. Would have been nice to have Portnet at the Point, as it would have added to office bulk in that area and stimulated residential sales there, but a positive is that there will be significantly less office-related traffic during peak times, which is a good thing for Waterfront residents, with only one exit route (Shepstone Rd) out of the area.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
^^ the new building at the cruise terminal will likely go ahead regardless as office space in the point area is growing in demand for maritime related organisations, so expect the area to get alot more commercial space in the years ahead.

If it is indeed true that Transnet Ports will not have their HQ here and rather by the dugout then it is surprising... i would have thought the old airport parking would be a site office development for the dugout port... the site office will need to be big and that is very separate from day to day transnet port operations work with basically zero cross over.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Good to see announcements imminent

Morwe outlines TNPA's port development plan
by Shivani Singh
Sep 8
By Shirley Le Guern Click to view original post
The announcement of the successful bidder for the construction of Durban’s long-awaited passenger cruise terminal was imminent, Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) CEO Tau Morwe told delegates at the African Ports Evolution Conference in Durban on Tuesday.

The only thing that was holding this back, he said, was negotiations with the eThekwini municipality, which wanted to ensure that the TNPA did not build a white elephant and that the terminal would contribute to the economic development of the city.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
with issues hitting the Cape Town cruise terminal and no mention of if the same issues affect this one, i guess we have to sit and wait. The last release in September painted a positive picture for this one... so maybe not in the same predicament?

41 - 60 of 148 Posts