Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Construction starts on USD13.5 million cruise terminal for Durban
21/11/2019
Nicci Botha, correspondent

Construction has started on the Port of Durban’s new USD13.5 million passenger terminal to cater to the city’s burgeoning cruise industry.

.....The 4,516 m² cruise terminal will boast a host of green and energy efficient features, and facilities include a retail component and a multipurpose training, conferencing, and events space. It will be completed in phases and will eventually be able to accommodate two 91 m-long cruise vessels.

In addition, there will be parking for 200 vehicles with curbside drop-off facilities for 12 buses, dedicated baggage drop-off areas, separate screening and temporary holding areas, as well as separate passenger entry and exit points.

TNPA plans to commence construction on its own section of the promenade in the third quarter of 2020, which will connect to the new cruise terminal, allowing passengers direct access and connections to the central beachfront with relative ease and safety.

More here: https://dredgingandports.com/news/2019/construction-starts-on-usd13-5m-cruise-terminal-for-durban/

·
Registered
427 Posts
Will it have direct boarding "airbridges" like most global cruise hubs? Can't see that in the renders
Yes, I am also curious about the air bridges? I hope so.

Also, they do mention they will "eventually" be able to accommodate 2 ships at the same time. What does that mean? That they won't initially be able too when the terminal eventually opens? The reason I ask is because in the 2020/2021 season there are a few days with 2 and even 3 ships here on the same day so I was wondering if the terminal could handle that from the get go.

The current itinerary with multiple ships in Durban harbor on one day is:

7th Dec 2020 - Musica, Opera & Azamara Journey
17th Dec 2020 - Azamara Journey & AIDAmira
12th Jan 2021 - Opera & Oceania Nautica
25th Jan 2021 - Opera & Azamara Journey
26th Jan 2021 - AIDAaura & Oceania Nautica
6th Feb 2021 - Azamara Journey & Oceania Nautica
22nd Feb 2021 - Musica & Artania
2nd Mar 2021 - Artania & Azamara Journey
14 Mar 2021 - Hanseatic Inspiration & Azamara Journey

That is 9 days next season with multiple ships in port, I know the new cruise terminal will only be opened in the latter half of the season but I hope they are preparing for this. I think it will only get busier in future.

·
22,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
That's a growing schedule. Also seems 2021 is a target year for significantly growing the inbound Chinese cruise market, so these dockings could grow.

It will be ridiculous if it opens and is undersized

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
The construction of the cruise terminal is now in full swing. Here's some pics from last week. I had assumed it would be located closer to the NSRI Building. Instead, it's basically in front of the Waterfront Hotel. This is a better location as a quick 300m walk up Browns Road (which leads directly from this site) will literally take people straight past the canals (and future mall), and to the beach / new promenade.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts