Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1371 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post all discussion about Durban here.

And, to begin the new thread, I'd like to let you all know that the Durban banner will be up September 1st, 2006.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,873 Posts
Right some durban issues.

Whats happening with the centrum site?

great news about another office tower near the ICC, Seems there will be a massive regenration and migration to that part of town with the ICC hotel thats being discussed as well as Durbsbois peek at the bigger picture there.

·
East Coast Massiv
16,647 Posts
eish eish brand new, & so clean!

Still awaiting desgins for that complex with the hotel, we just had artist impressions so far, the architects are busy with the nitty gritty technical designs, once thats finished we will apoint project managers, site engineers & so on.

·
22,416 Posts
^^ Thats where the ICT Hub is being built to the tune of R1bn. Here is a list of confirmed projects for the centrum site...if i had a map or image of it i cld place them on it for u!

1) ICT HUB - R1bn - Medium rise, up to 10F.

2) Hotel site - On corner facing exhibition centre - 2 developers in negotiation.

3) Durban Architectural Musuem - R230m - As part of the burgeoning Musuem quarter. The Natural Science musuem is also in the planning phase of a move. There are already 3 musuems there.

·
22,416 Posts
Thought i wld let u guys know about Parasailing on the Durban beachfront!! (www.parasailafrica.com)

I am going on Saturday to do this. It is R150pp and look at the views!! something u gotta do!! And u dont have get wet if u dont want, all take off and landing is on the boat. But they can dunk u!! i want that!

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
dysan1 said:
Thought i wld let u guys know about Parasailing on the Durban beachfront!! (www.parasailafrica.com)

I am going on Saturday to do this. It is R150pp and look at the views!! something u gotta do!! And u dont have get wet if u dont want, all take off and landing is on the boat. But they can dunk u!! i want that!

def def make the most of it..ive done this before...its awesome..also try paragliding...ive been paragliding with a friend who is pretty good at it...will try and get some pics on my laptop and post them...u shud find out about an event that has like a million watersports taking place at the same time...wanna do kitesailing soon i think thats what its called...and do take pics!!..get that waterproof camera out or just borrow one..u actually go through the air quite quickly...faster than it actually looks when ure watching others do it..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wowthat looks awsome. am down in durbs next weekend and am defo going to give this a go!!1 I dont want to get dunked tho cos knowing my luck I will land right on top of a shark!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
King Shaka International 2 B ready by 2010

King Shaka International 2 B ready by 2010
...Well I sincerely Hope!

BPR
PR-AIRPORT-DURBAN
SAPA PR WIRE SERVICE - SAPA PR WIRE SERVICE - SAPA PR WIRE SERVICE
SAPA PR -- DUBE TRANSPORT AND THE AIRPORT AT LA MERCY ON RUNWAY READY
Issued by: Ministry of Transport
Attention: News Editors
For immediate release:
DUBE TRADEPORT AND THE AIRPORT AT LA MERCY ON RUNWAY READY TO TAKE OFF
I am pleased to announce the final rationalized structure for the management and ownership of the integrated Dube Tradeport and the airport at La Mercy.
The various engagements with all parties have come a long and rocky road, but we have finalized a structure that represents both certainty, cost rationalization, ease of management and implementation as well as correctly apportioning risk and responsibility. I am also pleased to announce that the airport at La Mercy will be operational, and the Durban International Airport de-commissioned in the first quarter of 2010.
The existing processes that have been performed by either ACSA and or the Dube Trade Port company will be continued to the agreed time-schedules and within the parameters that have been established to date.
ACSA shall exclusively build, operate and own the airport and the passenger terminals in terms of the procurement that is currently in process by Dube Tradeport company, and to the existing timelines agreed in that process. The key date in that process being that all construction shall be completed by December 2009. The airport will then be commissioned by the first quarter of 2010, well in time for the 2010 World Cup.
The Dube Tradeport company shall exclusively own manage and develop the tradeport, the agrizones and the cyberport, including the cargo handling terminals in the airport. The land will be transferred to the Dube Tradeport company for development for its own account. These facilities will be integrated into the existing integrated logistics system planning processes occurring at national, provincial and local level.
All developments that do not strictly fall within the narrow definition of airport business or tradeport business and all land associated therewith, shall be owned and developed within a 50/50
joint venture between ACSA and the Dube Tradeport company. Wherever possible, private sector involvement will be sought, with a particular emphasis on BEE involvement.
Masterplanning for the entire precinct and the re-development of the existing DIA site shall be done jointly by the parties, the KZN Province and Ethekwini Municipality under the leadership of the Department of Transport.
This entire project must be integrated at all levels and to ensure that, I have implemented a management structure that ensures that the development will go according to the timelines and decision-making and oversight will be effective.
The decision-making structure will be the Political Committee, that I shall chair, which will include representation from the KZN Province, Ethekwini Municipality and the ACSA Board. A Steering Committee that will be responsible for the operational management, technical issues and project management of the entire development as well as ensuring its delivery, will be chaired by the Director General of Transport and shall include senior officials and executive management from ACSA, the KZN Province, Ethekwini Municipality and the Dube Tradeport company.
It is with great optimism and enthusiasm that I look forward to the successful delivery of the Dube Tradeport and the international airport. The benefits of this integrated logistics platform, the commercial developments therein and the passenger facilities, represents a new road that will bring prosperity to the area and benefit to the country.
Issued by
Ministry of Transport

·
Explore
2,832 Posts
London, Frankfurt, Dubai and Mumbai will initially be targeted. Possibly also Singapore and another European city.

·
Explore
2,832 Posts
I'm sure SAA will compete on the LHR route once Virgin or BA start. It was always profitable for SAA, they only dropped it because passengers had no other choice.

1 - 20 of 1371 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.