SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 3113 Posts

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The important port of Durrës is the second largest city in Albania with the second largest concentration of industry. The city was colonized by the Greeks in 627 B.C. It was named Epidamnos, which later became Dyrrachium. From the Venetian Tower at the harbor the Medieval Town Wall leads to the amphitheater (capacity 15,000 spectators) dating back to the 2nd century AD. and containing an early Christian Crypt with a rare wall mosaic. Between the 1st and 3rd centuries Durrës was an important port and trading center on the Via Egnatia trading route between Rome and Byzantium (Istanbul). After a great number of earthquakes, much of ancient Durrës sank into the sea or collapsed and was subsequently built over. Today the city is well known for the nearby beach resort of Durrës Plazh, its wonderful sand and warm sea water.

Statue of Queen Teuta

Port

Upscale Adriatik Hotel

Amphitheater of Durrës

Vollga coast

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good news coming from Durrës
Appearently , they will built by Vollga Coast 2 buildings of 22 and 19 stories high which will compliment the existing buildings it has now
I think that's a great idea

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Notice amphitheater of Durres can handle 18.000 people , it is pretty big.
They organize special events there , it looks much better than the picture shows.
Durres needs to move at faster speed though , it is still way behind Tirana but i am glad that Vollga is really getting to become a nice coastline

·
Banned
1,110 Posts
hmm...i must say i don't know many things about albania, but it does have very bad image. we had a joke here for fat people "u vid ga sh'o se razbacio ko albanska industrija" or if you translate it into english...i don't know how to translate this and keep the meaning. anyway it's something in this style "he's sooo huge, as albanian industry" :)

but durres has something interesting. i didn't say it's nice, but it sure is interesting. i would like to see more photos.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
sergionni said:
do you have some more pics of old part of the town?
Alot of the old part of town was flooded a while ago. An theer was also and earthquake that hit albania in 1950's. I'm not sure if alot parts of old town remain or not. Never been to this city.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sarajevski_chevapi said:
but durres has something interesting. i didn't say it's nice, but it sure is interesting. i would like to see more photos.
So you are saying Durres is not nice?
I think for a city 2200 years old having sunk 3 times in its glorious history it looks all right;)
Durres is one of Europe's oldest cities.
Caeser lived here and so did many roman emperors one of which was acctually born here.
Vollga coast is a nice attraction but Durres has more to offer.
Too bad not many pics of this city cant be found on the net.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
who was the roman emperor born in durres?

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roman Emperor Anastasius was born in Durres => link

The earthquake in Durres occured in 1926 , not in the 50's.
A much bigger earthquake occured a year later in the surrounding areas of Durres but not the actual city itself.

Pompei defeated Caeser in Durrës.
link

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
oh i thought it was someone important. sigh

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lakerdar123 said:
oh i thought it was someone important. sigh
To be a roman emperor is important enough , plus Anastasius ruled for 27 years and was a very good administrator of the economy of the Empire.
He reformed the monatery system and introduced the copper coin. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 3113 Posts