SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'd be really grateful if anybody knew whether conversion of the DVT units that are used by class 90s and class 91s to carry passengers has ever been considered. The potential to provide extra capacity combined with the fact the DVT units appear to run virtually empty (bar the drinks trolley and occasional bike) would appear to present a case for such a conversion.

My understanding of the situation is that when the 90s and 91s first entered service, there was a prohibition on carrying passengers in the lead vehicle of intercity trains that travelled in excess of 100 mph, but that such a prohibition was lifted some time ago - the Pendolinos on the WCML providing an example of a 100 mph+ train that carries passengers in the lead vehicle.

I appreciate that such a conversion may not now offer especially good value for money given that (a) the 91s are due for replacement by the Hitachi ICE trains and (b) the need for extra capacity has been reduced by the effects of the recession, but I would be really grateful if anybody knew whether such a course of action has ever been considered and/or would indeed be possible from an engineering perspective

Thx

·
Registered
285 Posts
I could be wrong but I think that those newer units were made with a crash-worthy 'crumple-zone' which protected the passenger area. I guess it would be quite expensive to convert a DVT, but I agree that it's such a waste of capacity. Presumably, at one point newspapers and perhaps post were carried in the DVT.

Incidentally, does anyone know who full the Gatwick Express luggage van, situated at one end of the train, gets? I can't imagine leaving suitcases in a luggage van that I was about to take on a flight. I know that the train is non-stop but I can't help but fear someone would swipe it at Victoria or Gatwick. Perhaps it comes into play during the summer with skis and summer with surfboards?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have always wondered this, maybe could at least be used for carriage of luggage between the start of the journey and final destination, i.e. London and Edinburgh, freeing up space for intermediate passenger's luggage? Maybe would be poorly used due to people wishing to be able to see their bags.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts