SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sydney FC have signed English Striker Dwight Yorke from Birmingham City.

I will give you the article from Sky Sports. :)

Australian outfit Sydney FC have announced the capture of Birmingham striker Dwight Yorke on a two-year deal.

The 33-year-old will join the A-League outfit when his contract at St Andrews expires at the end of June, provided he passes a routine medical.

Yorke has failed to make much impact at Birmingham following his switch from Blackburn last summer.

He had received a number of offers following his decision to leave Blues - including a lucrative switch to Qatar - but Sydney claim they have won the race for his signature.

"We're just absolutely over the moon that he's decided that this is where he wants to spend the next two years off his football career," Sydney chief executive Andy Harper told www.abc.net.au.

"He's been around, and he's certainly learnt from the best on how to win football matches.

"And more important than that for us is just the individual football package that he brings.

"He's a high-quality football player and we're very much looking forward to him being on Sydney FC's books."

Yorke will link up with former Wolves star Steve Corica at Sydney who are coached by German Pierre Littbarski.

Harper believes the capture of the Trinidad and Tobago international is a major coup for the game Down Under with the inaugural Hyundai A-League launching this season.

"When he (Yorke) arrived last week for his three-day visit to have a look at the Sydney FC set-up and meet the people, he just generated enormous media interest then," Harper continued.

"When he puts pen to paper for Sydney FC and starts work with us he will have an enormous impact off the field.

"Sydney FC is striving to be what the Hyundai A-League set itself out to achieve, and that is to be something new and fresh and catch the imagination andthe attention of the public.

"A player like Dwight Yorke is certainly, we feel, important in that strategy. I think if all goes well from here he will have an enormous impact on the Australian sporting landscape."

·
Registered
363 Posts
I saw Andy Harper being interviewed and he was positively stiff with excitement. Good for promotions but doubtful about him doing very much although this is poor standard league so who knows.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
He hasn't been very good since leaving Man U years ago, fans of his present team Birmingham will be very glad to be getting rid of him. That said, it's encouraging that he could have gone to Qatar (oil rich Arab play league) for a lot more money and chose the A League instead. And he will still probably be a class act against the local defences, but I suspect his main scoring will be done in the nightclubs of Sydney.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
I would have rather seen an unknown young future socceroo rising the A-League ranks than some washed-up EPL player. Yeah he's popular but I doubt half of Sydney even knows him. But when they hear "Hey this young Aussie bloke in soccer's doing heaps well" they're gonna flock.

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
renell said:
I would have rather seen an unknown young future socceroo rising the A-League ranks than some washed-up EPL player. Yeah he's popular but I doubt half of Sydney even knows him. But when they hear "Hey this young Aussie bloke in soccer's doing heaps well" they're gonna flock.
Thats true, but in the meantime its great that we have got him. Its good for the media and i'm sure he will enjoy his football.

Btw whats with ppl using EPL? I hate that :mad:

GO LIVERPOOL!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts