SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some shots from these 2 cities. I checked them out on the way back from a day trip to Charlotte (yes those pics are coming eventually). Winston-Salem was taken in the evening, and is the first set. The second much smaller set is of some night pictures in Greensboro. My camera doesn't take amazing night shots so sorry if the quality of those isn't great, but I figured it still showed off enough of a city that gets very little face time on this site.

Winston-Salem

And here is Greensboro

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've never been to either city so thanks for the pictures. To be honest, I was surprised by the density and look forward to visiting one day.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
WS is a fun town, much more dense and a much better skyline than most people would realize. They also have a disproportionate number of corp. headquarters for their size, which of course is good.

Cool pics!

Steve

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I love the BB&T tower....if only it were taller.

Can't wait for your Charlotte edition!

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
The Winston Tower is one of my favorite midcentury office buildings. it ranks right up there with the Prudential Tower in Boston and the Union Bank tower in LA. I hope it never changes. :cheers:
I do love it myself....I remember many years ago they were having a good deal of asbestos issues in the building, and it's future was unclear. I'll post this snippet from emporis-

A variety of issues, including small floorplates, asbestos, and a weak market, made its future uncertain for several years.
It reopened as Winston Tower in 2003 after extensive renovations including replacement of all 6,033 windows with energy-saving tinted glass.
Winston Tower has been designated a Forsyth County Historic Property (number 116) by the Historic Properties Commission.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 as the Wachovia Building.
It has been called the foremost example of International Style architecture in North Carolina.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ That explains why the glass was so high quality for such an old tower. The 2 tallest buildings in this city were very impressive.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
I'm just so relieved that they didn't implode it....I honestly think that the asbestos was so bad that they were really thinking about tearing it down at one point.

What were your thoughts on Greensboro? I of course find the skyline a bit small for a city of 260k, but it is quite dense with a great urban core. The ballpark downtown has some awesome views of the skyline-

Greensboro Skyline by jbtuohy, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts