Earthquake safety warning issued for South Australia
EARTHQUAKES in the state's mid-north have prompted the State Government to issue an earthquake safety warning.
The first quake occurred just before 9.30pm on Friday night, was centred north west of Clare and had a magnitude of 3.2 on the Richter scale.
The second quake, which happened about 1pm on Sunday, had a magnitude of 4.1, an epicentre east of Peterborough, and was the most powerful quake in Australia since one of magnitude 4.2 north of Quorn on July 30.
When and where earthquakes will occur is unpredictable, but the government safety message issued at 3.30pm says people should be aware of the basic steps they can take in the event of a major earthquake.
Most earthquake-related injuries result from collapsing walls, flying glass and falling objects, or when people try to move more than a few feet during an earthquake.
In the event of a major earthquake, people indoors should stay there and seek shelter under a door frame, solid table or bench and not use elevators of lifts.
If outside, people should keep clear of buildings and other structures such as powerlines and trees. Motorists should move away from hazards, stop the vehicle and listen to the radio for advice.
Damaged electricity, gas and water should be turned off and phones used only in an emergency.
People should have a designated meeting place with loved ones if they get separated and keep an emergency kit, including a battery powered radio, torch and spare batteries, on hand
Quakes of magnitudes less than 3.4 are usually only felt by a few people close to the epicentre.
Those with magnitudes 3.5 to 4.2 are felt by people indoors and some outdoors and usually feel like the vibrations made by a passing heavy truck.
Seismic activity common in SA - more than 100 earthquakes above magnitude 4.0 have been recorded since 1840.
The warning was issued by the Department of Transport Energy and Infrastructure about 3.30pm.
A spokeswoman said the small quakes in the mid north had prompted the "timely reminder" about earthquake safety procedures.
She said the last government earthquake safety warning had been issued by Premier Mike Rann following the 7.1 magnitude quake that wreaked havoc in Christchurch, New Zealand, on September 4.
Adelaide's last notable quake was a 3.8 magnitude shake up that struck just south of Mount Barker on April 16, jolting people from their sleep.
Following that quake, Australian Seismological Centre director Kevin McCue said it was only "a matter of time" before SA experienced a repeat of the 5.5 magnitude quake of 1954 that caused $70 million damage across Adelaide.
On June 6, west coast residents experienced the state's strongest quake in four years - a 5.0 magnitude quake which struck about 25km north-east of Cleve but was felt hundreds of kilometres away, even by people in Adelaide.