SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
My boss in npcc also sent emails for cash donations, which will be collected and passed on to the SPF. Sekali I get calls for donations from both sides....:D

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Dec 29, 2004

Outpouring of aid from Singaporeans

By Yap Su-yin

RESIDENTS of Greenridge Crescent received mailers yesterday evening appealing for medicine, dried or canned food, tents, blankets and sleeping bags.

Posting the mailers door-to-door to some 70 households were businessman Loh Sien Chi and his two children - John, 15, and Michelle, 17, who typed out the mailer.

'I've asked every contact on my database to donate items requested by the embassy,' said Mr Loh, who has tied up with Yusen Logistics to provide warehouse space and to pick up donated items today.

Similarly, scores of individuals and corporations here are pitching in to help tsunami victims, from donating clothes to opening collection centres for supplies.

SriLankan Airlines which flies daily to Sri Lanka's capital, Colombo, had airlifted two containers of relief cargo from Singapore to Sri Lanka by Monday.

Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines are also exploring ways to transport relief supplies to affected countries.

The response from the public has been spontaneous, says physiotherapist Thilaga Govindasamy, who turned her Balestier Road clinic into a collection centre for relief items from the public.

'Imagine, up to Africa, people are affected, but Singapore - so close to the epicentre - is spared. We can't bear to sit around doing nothing,' said Miss Thilaga,37, who sent out SMS messages for torches, tents, food, blankets and other relief supplies.

The devastation hit closer home for Indonesian Olivia Pollack, 25. The marketing manager at Restaurant 1827 at The Arts House was glued to the television after the news broke. Her maid, also from Indonesia, sobbed throughout. Though neither has family in the affected areas, they felt 'saddened because people in Aceh are already in great hardship'.

'I've visited Sri Lanka too, and to see such a beautiful place completely wrecked is terrible,' said Ms Pollack, who opened her office as a drop-off centre for donated items.

People of various nationalities donated over 50 bundles in a single morning. All the items collected will go to the embassies of Sri Lanka and Indonesia tomorrow 'because they are the worst hit'.

Packing $50,000 worth of food staples yesterdaywere staff of NTUC FairPrice, which has tied up with Mercy Relief to fly their first batch of relief supplies, including milk bottles and undergarments, to Sri Lanka within the next five days. Mercy Relief also plans to send reconnaissance teams to affected areas to verify the type of humanitarian aid needed.

Their donation hotline has been ringing since it opened on Monday. So far, $21,000 has been collected, said Mercy Relief's executive director, Mr Hassan Ahmad.

Mr Chew Kah Chuan, managing director of Khong Guan Biscuit Factory, has donated 200 cartons of biscuits, and LifeBrandz has sent 75,000 bottles of mineral water for Sri Lanka.

Mr Robert Khoo, 65, has given sterile wash - all 40,000 pieces in stock at his pharmaceutical company Optopharm - to be distributed equally between Sri Lanka and Indonesia. Used to clean eyes and wounds, it is very useful in first aid.

'This catastrophe is worse than anything I have ever seen,' said Mr Khoo, who had witnessed the riots of the 1940s and 1950s. 'I'm so glad I found a small way to help.'

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
huaiwei said:
My boss in npcc also sent emails for cash donations, which will be collected and passed on to the SPF. Sekali I get calls for donations from both sides....:D
Haha....thats why i only donated in small denominations.......:lol:

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Dec 29, 2004

7 Land Rover owners to deliver supplies to Krabi

By David Boey

SHOCKED by the tidal wave carnage, seven Land Rover owners have taken time off work so they can use their rugged cross-country vehicles to deliver relief supplies in southern Thailand.

The convoy leaves Singapore this morning with the cargo deck on each Land Rover loaded with about half a tonne of goods donated by well-wishers from the Singapore Rotary Club.

Their destination: Krabi - some 900km north of Singapore.

Corporate sponsors like ExxonMobil have donated bottled water, while the Singapore Rotary Club has supplied the convoy with relief supplies like food, tents and blankets.

The Singapore Red Cross Society has also helped the volunteers contact aid agencies in Thailand, while the Singapore Rotary Club called its sister club in Krabi to alert them that the aid convoy was headed its way.

The vehicles belong to a group of people on an Internet mailing list called the Land Rover Owners of Singapore.

The group is made up of about 80 owners of four-wheel drive vehicles like Land Rovers and some Japanese sports utility vehicles.

It was started about six years ago for Land Rover owners to exchange tips on topics like vehicle maintenance and to arrange cross-country driving expeditions in Singapore and in the jungles of Malaysia.

Today's Land Rover aid convoy is the group's first relief mission overseas, and members have been busy loading their trucks with recovery equipment and spares.

Mr Ray Hyland, a communications executive, got the ball rolling after he sent an appeal to the mailing list on Monday morning. Four Land Rovers were lined up by noon.

Corporate sponsors have also pitched in. ExxonMobil is sponsoring the fuel and lubricants and Regent Motors, the local Land Rover distributor, has pledged a supply of spare parts the vehicles may need.

Mr Hyland said the 12 people in the convoy - mostly working professionals - have their bosses to thank, too.

He said: 'A lot of people are taking time off from work and I think everyone's company has been really generous. Everybody's bosses said 'Yeah, no problem, we'll cover for you' and gave them time off from work.'

Mr Hyland said the convoy should return to Singapore on New Year's Eve and will share its experience with other members of the mailing list as more convoys are planned.

He said: 'We definitely have the possibility of follow-up convoys. We're going to make sure we build rapport with the aid agencies. The Red Cross has said they may need more such convoys in the coming weeks once they get more organised and know what they need, and as supplies start to run out.'

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Dec 29, 2004

Two sisters quick to do their bit for relief efforts

By Sheryl Loke

THE $30 that Lynn and Joyce Chang, aged 12 and nine, each gave yesterday may be a tiny drop in the more than $1 million the Red Cross raised in the last two days, but it was hard-earned money for the two sisters.

That they suffer from a medical condition that makes their mental development slower than normal gives their generosity added poignancy.

The two girls, who went to the Red Cross headquarters to hand in their gift, had chalked up 'stars' given out by their parents for good behaviour and performance in school.

Usually they exchange these for a special meal or a short holiday.

But on learning about Sunday's tidal wave tragedy over the news, they were eager to share what they had with those who needed it at the suggestion of their mother, housewife Chang Lee Nah, and engineer father.

They decided to convert their stars into cash for the donation.

The sisters suffer from 'global delay', a hereditary disease that weakens their muscles, tires them easily and makes them mentally slower than others their age. They need to sleep as often as every hour. Lynn is in Unity Primary School and her sister attends Margaret Drive Special School.

Mrs Chang, 40, who drove the girls from their Choa Chu Kang home, said they wanted to 'help in any way they can'.

After handing over their gift, Lynn exclaimed, the delight evident on her smiling face: 'I am very happy!'

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
huaiwei said:
Hua...every shop?? Anyway, my friends went down to police academy today to help pack relief donations...I think NPCC collected the stuff.
Haha.....think i saw this on the Ch 8 630 news........:yes:

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Disgusting.....now my friends are bitching why the person who was interviewed actually went there to eye power? :D

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
huaiwei said:
Disgusting.....now my friends are bitching why the person who was interviewed actually went there to eye power? :D
Huh you mean the gal they interviewed do nothing there ah?? :eek:

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
More or less? I know her...muahahha! :D

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
babystan03 said:
Oh......think she's reading my major also.....saw her b4.......:lol:
Yes you are right....and if I am not wrong, she is going to have the same profession as you. :lol:

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
huaiwei said:
Yes you are right....and if I am not wrong, she is going to have the same profession as you. :lol:
Aiyo.......that means I will get to see the same old faces in july?? :bash: :lol:

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
He wont want to think about it. :D

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
redstone said:
Lets see..... Hmmm....

Like 1 in 300??? :lol:
300 something govt schools here... :D
No need to guess.........no chance cos I'll be filling up the vacancy once I finished my course.......and I'll graduate half a year earlier than her.....:yes:

121 - 140 of 216 Posts