SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthquake ?!

15K views 215 replies 19 participants last post by  huaiwei 
#1 ·
Singapore forumers - who felt the earthquake? Was there any damage or only tremors felt? I'm astonished by how far and wide this earthquake was felt... reportedly the world's largest quake in 40 years!

#11 ·
Dec 27, 2004
IN THAILAND
2 S'poreans in Phuket: their stories by SMS
Bank exec witnesses horror and destruction on his first trip to the resort island

By Daryl Loo

MRS Khoo Cheng Eng has never used SMS, but yesterday it was her only contact with her son, vacationing in tsunami-hit Phuket.

Mr Wilson Khoo, 29, an assistant vice-president in a European bank, had landed on the island yesterday morning, right before the tidal waves that destroyed much of the beach, damaged power and phone lines, and disrupted cellular phone calls.

The only line of communication open was text messaging, which he sent to elder sister Liling in Singapore. She then telephoned her mother with the news.

'I was really worried as I didn't hear from him until after noon. It's very fortunate that he's okay,' said Mrs Khoo, 55, a teacher.

For Mr Khoo, it was his first trip to the island - and a close shave with danger at his hotel, the Seaview at Patong beach.

In an SMS interview with The Straits Times - pretty much how he kept in touch with the world outside all day - he wrote:

'Checked into fourth-floor room at 9am. Lucky. Wave came in at 9.20am, carrying cars, lorry and crashing into the hotel on the second floor.'

'Furniture, TV, luggage and people were swept out. Screams and cries. Many hurt. Within seconds Patong is destroyed. All buildings. No water, electricity. Blackout.'

Together with other guests, Mr Khoo headed for higher ground. 'Blood stains all over the road as we were fleeing the hotel on a road leading uphill,' he described.

He checked into the Andaman Seaview hotel in Karon late last night: 'Will rest well for the night at least.'

He is scheduled on a Tiger Airways flight back to Singapore tomorrowat 9am.

'Just glad we are alive and well, items intact,' he wrote.

And while his holiday turned out to be anything but enjoyable, he said: 'Trip not totally wasted. Experience of a lifetime. Saw destruction first-hand.'

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

#14 ·
12,000 casualties so far, and many more expected..... that's 12000 daughters or sons, 12000 mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, friends... I have this very overwhelming feeling that's a mixture of awe, shock, fear and grief.... i had the same feeling watching the news shortly after 911....

#17 ·
redstone said:
I've heard of eathquakes killing people directly, but tsunamis?!
The first time I've heard earthquake-driven tsunamis killing more people than the earthquake themselves...
Happens all the time in Japan, i'm afraid. Anything happening in the pacific ocean hits them hard, and the pacific ocean, if you don't already know, ain't your glass of water....

#23 ·
Yes. It's terrible. Everytime i see a picture of a person killed in these things i ask myself about who these people are, what are their names, and who their friends and family are. There's a story behind every face that's often more beautiful than anything that can be written or told. Maybe a sercret love that will never be fulfilled, or a dream that will never come true. I imagine each person as like myself, and i guess that makes death so very tragic.

#25 ·
Most people seem to think it's more sad to see a child die than to see an adult die, but i think their dreadfully mistaken.

A child's death is tragic because of the potential future that awaited him or her. The death of an adult is tragic because of the storie and foot prints left behind that could have done so much more....

#26 ·
Cliff said:
I didn't know how serious it was, 8.9 on the richter scale!
Biggest in the world for 40 years!
Over 7000 deaths!!!!
Affected 8 nations!!!!
I slept right through it and didnt even figure how serious it was until I read the papers this morning too. Woah.....this is bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.