Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overview
The final extension currently planned to be delivered by the Midland Metro Alliance will see the route from the Birmingham Eastside Extension extended further eastwards by 17km to serve Solihull and terminate at the High Speed 2 (HS2) interchange station, allowing passenger access by tram to the airport, National Exhibition Centre and Genting Arena when open for passenger service in 2026.

The route is the transport element of a regeneration plan for the area. An important driver being the linking of the two HS2 termini with the Black Country by tram (as well as everywhere in between) and encouraging more of the general public to choose green transport options for their day-to-day travel.

When the route is proposed to open in 2026, it will increase employment opportunities across the region allowing people in this area to easily travel throughout the West Midlands. Similarly, the construction of the route would provide a number of job opportunities with the Midland Metro Alliance as we are dedicated to building the tramway with local resources and labour, ensuring the region truly benefits from the growth of the region’s tram network.

What is the outline programme for delivery?
This extension requires a new Transport and Works Act Order (TWAO) application to be submitted. This will provide the powers to construct, maintain and operate the tramway between Birmingham and Solihull.

A Business Case was submitted in spring 2018 and is currently being considered by the Government in order to unlock the further development funding required to take the project through its next steps of route design, public consultation and preparation of the TWAO application.

The TWAO application is to occur in late 2018. If this application is approved, construction is planned to start in 2023, with the extension set to be opened to service in 2026.

Source

Heartlands Hospital.

Route around the Blues Ground.

:cheers:

·
Birmingham - #1
Present, for now… 🗿
23,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really does look fantastic from those renders, would love to see the same throughout the City, namely to Great Barr & Walsall. I really like the route past the Blues groundsmart thinking, does make me think if we'll end up getting the Park and Ride at Adderley Street after all.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,080 Posts
Still only half as much love for west Birmingham... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
It does look brilliant, doesn't it?

I'm looking forward to seeing visuals of the line further on, along the Meadway and into Chelmsley Wood, where the corridor is quite wide and there should be scope for integrating the track into a significant environmental upgrade.

The biggest challenge is in the section between St Andrews and Heartlands Hospital, which is quite constricted. The first half of this section is horrible and could do with a 1960s-scale (but not 1960s-style, obviously) comprehensive redevelopment. The second half is quite an attractive residential road, but narrow.

By the way, in the third picture that white house behind the tram and bus used to be my uncle Bert's house. What's going on with the guy running a breaker's yard in the front garden on the other side of the road?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Totally agree with Billsmothers, as we used to live in the tile cross area years ago, and bothe the meadway roads are quite wide, especially say like Meadway itself, and as Billsmothers says the city end is quite narrow. But anyways looking forward to seeing this built

·
Registered
559 Posts
Three points from me on this:

1. Adderley Street should be a major park and ride.

2. The section up to the Blues ground should be built in with the Digbeth extension, and there should be a focus on opening up a station behind the Gil Merrick, as per Sullivan’s plan in the 90’s. That would integrate the network a lot better and provide more capacity on a matchday.

3. The section up to the airport should then spur in 2 directions for me. One to the future UK Central development, and one on the airport slip road which is used by buses, up Damson Parkway to Solihull station.

With stops at the cargo entrance for the hotels there, JLR/Solihull Moors ground, a couple more on Damson Parkway for Elmdon Heath, down the a41, turn dowm Lode Lane, stop at Solihull Hospital, stop for the town centre then end at the train station. Would connect Solihull up much better with job opportunities and the airport.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Three points from me on this:

1. Adderley Street should be a major park and ride.

2. The section up to the Blues ground should be built in with the Digbeth extension, and there should be a focus on opening up a station behind the Gil Merrick, as per Sullivan’s plan in the 90’s. That would integrate the network a lot better and provide more capacity on a matchday.

3. The section up to the airport should then spur in 2 directions for me. One to the future UK Central development, and one on the airport slip road which is used by buses, up Damson Parkway to Solihull station.

With stops at the cargo entrance for the hotels there, JLR/Solihull Moors ground, a couple more on Damson Parkway for Elmdon Heath, down the a41, turn dowm Lode Lane, stop at Solihull Hospital, stop for the town centre then end at the train station. Would connect Solihull up much better with job opportunities and the airport.
Be great if in future it could carry on from Solihull Station along Streetsbrook Road, terminating at Shirley Station (possibly Dickens Heath with so much housing planned round there). With a stop at Sharmans Cross and Shirley Central (Stratford Road) en route.

If you could get from Shirley to Chelmsley, via Solihull TC. JLR and the NEC/Airport I believe that would take a massive amount of traffic off the borough's roads.

·
The promised land
17,634 Posts
There should also be some additional tracks/siding at St Andrews for the post match trams back into town.
I’m not sure that system exists anywhere in the U.K. however, I hope they put in good queuing systems and revenue protection as the amount of money that they could make from games here is astonishing. I recently went to Man City and used a tram stop there (outside of season) and could see that the thought process for revenue protection during events and matches was there.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Whilst the link is from City to Airport, and I think will be well used by commuting locals, a few blues fans etc... I strongly hope that visitors using the airport are encouraged to use the mainline rail connection (which isn't very well encouraged at the moment I might add).

Visitors arriving by air may unknowingly think the tram is the best available connection to the city. Looking at the planned route they wont be getting a good impression running through that gauntlet! They'll have probably turned round and gone back before they get into town!

·
The promised land
17,634 Posts
Whilst the link is from City to Airport, and I think will be well used by commuting locals, a few blues fans etc... I strongly hope that visitors using the airport are encouraged to use the mainline rail connection (which isn't very well encouraged at the moment I might add).

Visitors arriving by air may unknowingly think the tram is the best available connection to the city. Looking at the planned route they wont be getting a good impression running through that gauntlet! They'll have probably turned round and gone back before they get into town!
I would think, with today’s technology, anyone arriving anywhere has already scouted out the quickest and cheapest ways to get to their destination, and I’d be surprised if they did Streetview some of the route too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts