Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will east coast hip hop become the top draw again? With the south now dominating the industry it looks as if east coast hip hop is on it's death bed.
Can East coast hip hop make a comeback it's looks bleak right now.

·
Lurker
1,816 Posts
Most of the major mainstream East coast rappers are using the South's formula of spitting weak, meaningless lyrics over club banging production with excessive hi-hats to make money. The only ones staying true are a lot of the vets and underground heads. - I think New York will make a comeback in the near future.

·
10,628 Posts
Also East Coast/Hardcore rappers are retiring. Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas are all at the end of their careers and 50 Cent's last album "The Massacre" sucked compared to his debut classic album "Get Rich or Die Trying". Southern rap with the exception of Ludacris is meaningless lyracally.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
soulbro said:
Will east coast hip hop become the top draw again? With the south now dominating the industry it looks as if east coast hip hop is on it's death bed.
Can East coast hip hop make a comeback it's looks bleak right now.
what are you talking about hip hop was born here no way its gonna die.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
FloridaFuture said:
Also East Coast/Hardcore rappers are retiring. Jay-Z, Eminem, Nas are all at the end of their careers and 50 Cent's last album "The Massacre" sucked compared to his debut classic album "Get Rich or Die Trying". Southern rap with the exception of Ludacris is meaningless lyracally.

Rap will never be what it was during the 90s, and Eminem aint considered an East Coast rapper, hes midwest with Chicago. Rap today sucks, only good shit out is from vets still around. Southern Rap is the big shit and its terrible. They just take beats and throw in words and every dumb motherfucker around shakes their ass to it in clubs. Shits mad weak today.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I second that about the 90s. Those were the times for me. Hip hop was young, flavorful and had so much rythm n style. Some of it was a little rough but in the end, it had so much to offer in so many ways to so many types. Today, I hear the same beats over and over again. Too few songs stick. Year after year, songs die and then the next year comes with more songs that die again. Same with R&B. Shoot, even old popular rappers like LL and snoop can't come out with music that will stick for more than a season... nothing like the golden 90s era of hip hop.

·
17,955 Posts
As for me, it doesn't matter who's on the top and I don't think East Coast hip-hop is down. You still have mainstream rappers like Jay-Z or LL Cool J.

I still prefer rap from early 80s to mid-90s though some of today's underground hip-hop is still fresh :) At least Gangstarr is still in their element :)

·
17,955 Posts
StormShadow said:
Agreed with "Mantle".

I personally prefer underground better.
Underground is nice and shit but I also like hardcore streetstyle hip-hop music like Gangstarr or Blahzay Blahzay or Cocoa Brovaz.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
i dont like where music is going today. the new shit out is just plain terrible, that goes for any genre. how many more times can we sing about the same shit? the only ones that will leave a mark will be the pioneers. im an old school guy so most of the shit i listen to is from the 90s, and the only new shit ill get is from the vets.

·
Not ******
541 Posts
I have no clue about rap but from what I'm reading so far, I think rap music might have run its course, perhaps?

It does sound like, they've taken it as far as it was supposed to go, you know, squeezed every last bit of juice out of it and now there's nothing much left.

Time to come up with a new sound?

Will the streets of NY once again give birth to something new and different?

·
5,837 Posts
My 2 cents

Truth....

The South as a whole, weather it be Bump and Screw, or Heavy Bass, or Crunk adds nothing to rap music. As individual genres they are all truely mindless, talentless, and meaningless and as harsh as that may sound it is still quite surely a fact.
If you can consider it an opinion take a look for yourself.
- Ultra Repetive recycled beats.
- Lacking lyrical content
- pointless messages
- where little rhyme content, if acapella could not be taken as anything other than garbage.
And it's shame they make so much money off being such crappy no talent lyracists.

Player rap and Bling music ( remember the days of mase , badboy and master p no limit)
that was a pretty bad time. Standards were almost as low as this shit. The truth?.... All this new southern rap.. Lil jon, Swishahouse, ... mike jones who calls his name out every 10 words... blowssss the Player days out of the water.
Out of an entire region only a handful can be argue over or compared with.
Though its original, its an embarassment.
Unfortunatley though it sells.
But to who?
The fans who will support it because thats where they come from? Congradulations thats a given.
The drones and mindless suburbanites who don't know any better? Oh and since its a trend that sells of course its now something almost all mainstreme artists gotta cling on to.
Thats the worst part of it. Surprisingly it is influential... THERES SOMETHING KINDA WRONG WITH THAT.... So to the rest instead of saving us from this reckless turn they bite, exploit, and capitalize on it. We need more Immortal techniques, Papooses, and Jay Mills to turn the south completely on it's back again.
Still despite a few ( Goodie Mobb, Outkast, Scarface)
-T.I could never accumulate the respect Big L has let alone Biggie Smalls. Movie or no movie.
- Run DMC , will forever reign as the Kings

- The Bronx will always cradle rap music.

- Wutang will always be untouchable with theyre message

- There will never be a chill in the air brought about like Tupac and Biggie

- The true voice of the people as far as the music concerns will never be recreated the way it was by NWA and Public Enemey.

- Tell me anything coming out of the south more real than Mobb Deep, Krs1, or Grand Master Flash?

- Jay Z and Nas, tell me anyone from the south who can touch them Lyrically. Outkast? They was dope but Hell to the nah.

So whats so good about this run? You contribute nothing more than a stain that hopefully in a few years time the rest of us will be greatful is over.

Point is, does it matter if the South has the shine right now ?
We lived it better. East Coast and West Coast. It is what it is. Any you still couldn't touch that. Even in your prime. The best satisfaction is that the fans and artists there now will never feel the fire we did. Ours was a lifestyle, yours is a trend. Its as simple as that. Instead of leaving a mark the way the west and east did theyre leaving a legacy of bad music that will easily be forgotten. How do i see it? We will always be the pushers and they will always be the clientel.

And i agree with CenteroftheUniverse.. Rap seems to have taken its course. Disco did so its very possible. Coming true infact. Thank P Diddy and the "Players", and Master P and the Dirty South

Btw im high rite now and that was long as hell. My bad.
Still " Drunk words are sobre thoughts" :/

·
17,955 Posts
nygirl said:
- Tell me anything coming out of the south more real than Mobb Deep, Krs1, or Grand Master Flash?
Arrested Development???

BTW, didn't Nas collaborated with Scarface in his third album?

·
17,955 Posts
Spooky873 said:
i dont like where music is going today. the new shit out is just plain terrible, that goes for any genre. how many more times can we sing about the same shit? the only ones that will leave a mark will be the pioneers. im an old school guy so most of the shit i listen to is from the 90s, and the only new shit ill get is from the vets.
I definitely agree. Even mainstream hip-hop during those decades are pretty good as well compared to those of today.

·
Registered
583 Posts
fish said:
^^ You forgot Doug E. Fresh & The Fat Boyz!
OMG, doug e fresh, arrested developement... young snoop n dre, fugees, woo tang, onyx, redman, crag mack, brand nubian, (early early 90s big daddy kane, blacksheep), blackmoon, run DMC, young tupac n biggie, double rr mix tapes, 90s reggae, shabby ranks, shaggy, mad cobra, buju bonton, slick rick, nate dogg n warren g, da pharcyde, 95 south, 69 boys, heavy D, ice cube, tribe called quest, LL, mary J, boyz 2 men, babyface, silk, shai, joe, , mariah, r kelly, janet jackson, jodeci, bone thugs, easy e, big pun, h-town, salt n pepper, house of pain, cypress hill, coolio, queen latifa, mc light, KRS One, atlantic starr, diggable planet, das fx, mc ren, lords of the underground...

the 90s was am amazing time for hip hop and each of these people had a small piece of the 90s crown. And mind you, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the amount of really great artist there were in this era. Today, theres only a handfull. And even within those, only 1 or 2 stick for a little while.

·
muted
7,080 Posts
It's just unfortunate that today's scene is dominated by shitty rap from the South. But that just means that you have to dig deeper and find some hidden talent in your city. It's there. Just keep your eyes open.

·
17,955 Posts
AirJay78 said:
the reason the 90s was am amazing time for hip hop and each of these people had a small piece of the 90s crown. And mind you, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the amount of really great artist there were in this era. Today, theres only a handfull. And even within those, only 1 or 2 stick for a little while.
It's not just that but also beats and the quality of tracks. Today, it's mostly bounce or club. I don't even feel most of today's rappers even Kanye West!

1 - 20 of 173 Posts