• The region needs more than one HSR station

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • No HSR station needed for the region

Votes: 8 6.0%
1 - 20 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Leicester, to put a sock in certain posters who spend far too much of their time trying to put Leicester in its place.

·
Robin Hood
5,168 Posts
In reality, it doesn't sound like the Leicester lot are really all that bothered about HS2

Given that the line goes to Birmingham before it goes to London, its not really going to be all that much faster for you lot. Leicester Mercury Articles suggests that the Leicester lot will be more interested in the Electrification of the Midland Mainline.

Compare the responses given from the two local newspapers:

250mph trains could stop in Leicestershire (not Leicester)

Battle to bring high speed rail to Nottingham begins

Notts Council/Business leaders have been campaigning for this for a while. The Leicester lot don't seem all that much bothered.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
Interesting Post by Sirstan74 on the main thread.

According to government statistics office, Nottingham urban area is the 8th largest in the UK:
1 - London (8.3 million, density 5100 people per square km)
2 - West Midlands (2.8 million, density 3800)
3 - Manchester (2.2 million, density 4000)
4 - West Yorkshire (1.5 million, density 4100)
5 - Glasgow (1.2 million, density 3200)
6 - Tyneside (0.88 million, density 4200)
7 - Liverpool (0.82 million, density 4400)
8 - Nottingham (0.67 million, density 4200)
9 - Sheffield (0.64 million, density 3900)
10 - Bristol (0.55 million, density 3900)

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_compendia/fom2005/03_FOPM_UrbanAreas.pdf

As Wiggley says the Sheffield area is slightly larger than Nottingham, but Nottingham is more dense and so has higher pop density. Density is important as it gives a good indication of the real catchment population.

All the English centres above Bristol (which is on the soon-to-be-upgraded Great Western) should be on the high speed network. I think the Parkway plan for East Midlands would probably be on the A52 between Nottingham and Derby. I don't think it will be intended to serve Leicester, which can be served through improvements to the Midland Mainline.

Given that Derby's rail links are already much better than Nottingham's, while Nottingham has the 4th most intercity trips to London and contributes the 9th most revenue (Sheffield is 12th and 14th respectively, Leicester is 6th and 16th, while Derby is 17th and >20th) I think Nottingham should be included properly on the high speed line - not some parkway station that satisfies no-one.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documents/About%20us/New%20Lines%20Programme/5881_Option%20Development%20Report.pdf

·
Registered
896 Posts
In reality, it doesn't sound like the Leicester lot are really all that bothered about HS2

Given that the line goes to Birmingham before it goes to London, its not really going to be all that much faster for you lot. Leicester Mercury Articles suggests that the Leicester lot will be more interested in the Electrification of the Midland Mainline.

Compare the responses given from the two local newspapers:

250mph trains could stop in Leicestershire (not Leicester)

Battle to bring high speed rail to Nottingham begins

Notts Council/Business leaders have been campaigning for this for a while. The Leicester lot don't seem all that much bothered.
Perhaps we just know when we are fighting a losing battle. If there is one station in the East Mids it will be in Nottingham.

·
Penguin fancier
4,062 Posts
LCC, LUA and all the other councils along the Midland Mainline route where it isn't electrified should band together to lobby the government to get the job done.

That'd be of far greater benefit to our region than a high speed line we might have to travel up to 30 miles to catch trains on (and there's no guarantee that HS2 would pass trough Nottingham city station, so even if we took the train we might still have to cross town).

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
What can I say, recent 'discussion' on the Leicester sports thread was the climax of an incredibly annoying trend of petty exchanges. It's just that the Nottingham side came across worse. Plus I have a soft spot for Leicester for some reason.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I voted for "more than one HSR" station. I don't think it makes any difference Leicester having one on a branch from Birmingham though. In fact I wonder what difference it would make to Nottingham commuters. I imagine a HS journey from Nottingham would take at least one hour (assuming it takes 40 mins from Burm to London)?

·
Robin Hood
5,168 Posts
I voted for "more than one HSR" station. I don't think it makes any difference Leicester having one on a branch from Birmingham though. In fact I wonder what difference it would make to Nottingham commuters. I imagine a HS journey from Nottingham would take at least one hour (assuming it takes 40 mins from Burm to London)?
It's estimated to take 53 minutes on the High Speed line.

An electrified EM Line would have Leicester reaching London within 35 mins.

·
Not Cwite There
9,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my ideal world Leicester, Derby and Nottingham city centres would all get through high-speed trains, so these cities would be well connected to Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and Edinburgh, making the region truly accessible.

The downside though is that such an arrangement would probably be too complex, adversely affecting simplicity and capacitiy utilisation, and presenting an operational nightmare. Having 3 stations would probably not be financially viable either...

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
More than one station is a daft idea though as it would defeat the whole idea of HIGH speed. The train wouldnt ever reach its high speed through the East Mids having to stop 3 times in the space of 30-40 mins.

I feel Leicester would be served well by Midland Mainline, Derby is already well connected whereas Nottingham is not at the moment.

Nottingham needs an upgrade and this could tie in well.

Wonder what it could mean in terms of the station of the future, as presumably this would need some new lines and platforms given that they are faster and longer trains?

·
Penguin fancier
4,062 Posts
I think the fear of most Leicester posters is that HS2 (it is the 2nd one, right?) would be used as an excuse to take funds away from MM; thus delaying electrification even longer.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Why would they have to stop three times? Nobody is saying that. Having three stations would probably mean each one getting a small number of calls though.

·
Penguin fancier
4,062 Posts
It should be somewhere that inconveniences everyone. Not just people in Leicester/Nottingham/Derby (delete as appropriate) :tongue2:

1 - 20 of 1099 Posts