SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is for MBTA Commuter Rail in Eastern Massachusetts & Rhode Island , and down the road New Hampshire..

For Non commuter rail discussion see the threads below
Boston - Public Transit > Buses , Light Rail , Streetcar , Trolleybuses , Ferries
Rhode Island - Public Transit > Buses

System Size : 394 miles (634 km)
Stations : 123
Major Terminals : North Station , South Station , Worcester , Providence
Major Stations : Route 128 , Back Bay
Number of lines : 12
Began operation : 1964 (beginning of MBTA subsidies) ,1973 and 1976 (MBTA asset purchases) ,1981 (full consolidation)
Top Speed : 90 mph (140 km/h)
Daily Ridership : 121,600 (Q3 2015)
Electrification : no
Coverage Area

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mbta_district.svg

System Map

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MBTA_Commuter_Rail_Map.svg

·
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
^^You know what an ideal fantasy about that tower is? That they build it, but that beforehand they determine that the construction will be so disruptive that they decide they must link North and South Station to divert trains to North Station during construction to avoid interruption!

Again...a fantasy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great information, and much appreciated. Coming to the area this summer and wasn't sure about the public transportation versus renting a vehicle. I can definitely get everywhere I need to with this mode of transport.

·
16,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great information, and much appreciated. Coming to the area this summer and wasn't sure about the public transportation versus renting a vehicle. I can definitely get everywhere I need to with this mode of transport.
Most lines still have crap service...so I wouldn't stay to far out or plan a bunch of trips around the region on the same day...

·
PC LOAD LETTER
7,474 Posts

·
Illuminati Leader
4,627 Posts
Why does it return to Worcester so late? How many commuters finish working at 7:35pm?

·
PC LOAD LETTER
7,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts