SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eastlands to get new hospital by next year
http://multimedia.marsgroupkenya.org/?StoryID=248790&p=kibaki

A NEW hospital to be built in Nairobi's Eastlands by the Chinese government will be completed in one year, the Minister for Medical Services Anyang Nyong'o has said.

The hospital, to be known as the Nairobi East District Hospital, will cost Sh544 million and will have a bed capacity of more than 100. Nyong'o yesterday signed an agreement with Chinese Ambassador Zhang Ming that will allow for its construction to begin.

"It is expected to ease pressure experienced by the leading referral hospital in the city, the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH)," he said.

The minister said, out of the total cost, Sh1l7 million will be used to equip the hospital with modern equipment. Nyong'o said the Kayole hospital is part of the government's plan to build four new hospitals in Nairobi in the next few years.

The minister said he expected the Chinese company, China Wu Yi, to speed up the construction of the hospital. China Wu Yi is also involved in a Sh2.6 billion expansion project at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and is also building various major highways in Kenya. Ambassador Ming said the hospital - to be built through an advanced grant to Kenya is among 30 hospitals that China will fund in Africa. Ming said the decision to build the 30 hospitals was reached in 2006 during the Sino-Africa Summit in Beijing, where China pledged to build more health facilities in Africa. President Kibaki attended the summit.

Minister Nyong'o also said the country has witnessed little development in the health sector in the last 25 years. "The present KNH and Moi Eidoret Teaching Referral hospital have also witnessed limited expansion because of the pressure piled on them by the existing health facilities," he said.

He said there are 108 health facilities in the country, most of which are provincial hospitals which the government intend to upgrade to referral status. The minister revealed that his ministry had toured Germany, Netherlands, and Japan to negotiate and explore ways through which the three countries could support Kenya to renovate and build more health facilities.

He said most hospital lack the necessary facilities. "I have toured most of hospitals. and found that they are mainly lacking in terms off medical equipment," Nyong'o said. He added that 23 other health centres across the country would be upgraded. Embu district hospital, he said, will be the first to benefit from the Japanese upgrade arrangement.

·
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Nairobi East District Hospital (renamed Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital) was opened this summer.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ati mama Lucy :eek:hno: so what happened, majina yaliisha?

·
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently, the Chinese (who funded the project) suggested that the hospital be given a high-profile name.

The Embakasi District Development Committee requested the name change to Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital.

In brief, its because the Chinese gifted Kenya with money for any hospital project, and the Kibaki's asked for the money to be used in Embakasi for this project.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201107180126.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
something will be found to name after wangari maathai,it has to befit her true qualities of who she was.it will probably be something bigger and was closer to her heart. i think the postal office would do her honor to do a memorial stamp.she was a true hero of kenya.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
ati mama lucy kibaki hospital. oh lordy lord, we kenyans never run out of ways to embarrass ourselves.
Mama lucy kibaki hospital does'nt sound good but so does wangari maathai.Should probably have been eastlands referral hospital but names aside how many beds is the facility and how equipped is it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mama lucy kibaki hospital does'nt sound good but so does wangari maathai.Should probably have been eastlands referral hospital but names aside how many beds is the facility and how equipped is it?
That name is awesome.Can it be changed?But I guess it can't>What did lucy really do to deserve that honour?

·
Engineer d's art't enjoys
6,426 Posts
i think they shld just call it nairobi east hospital. am also against renaming thika highway mwai kibaki highway after its complete

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
i think they shld just call it nairobi east hospital. am also against renaming thika highway mwai kibaki highway after its complete
Please don't tell me they will rename thika road.that is just silly.When will kenyans start seeing that these development projects are not a gift handed to us because of the "generosity" of our leaders hence the need to glorify them.These are our hard earned monies.Thika road is a loan,which we kenyans are going to have to repay.

·
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please do not rename Thika Road.

I think I'll just call it the A2 if they do.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Please do not rename Thika Road.

I think I'll just call it the A2 if they do.
These guys will probably call it thika superhighway which to me is actually worse than kibaki highway. Whats a superhighway in international lingo?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
These guys will probably call it thika superhighway which to me is actually worse than kibaki highway. Whats a superhighway in international lingo?
Unfortunately, the "superhighway" tag has stuck even if there is no such term. Anyone who mentions it automatically knows they are referring to Thika road.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts