SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1416 Posts

·
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still chugging along with these neighborhood threads. Let me know what else you guys wanna see. This forum is dedicated to Milwaukee's Eastside running from Shorewood all the way down past Brady Street to the south. Major corridors in the area include, North Ave, Brady Street, Oakland Ave, Downer Ave, Farwell Ave.

Important to the neighborhood are:

Eastside Business Improvement District: http://www.theeastside.org

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee: http://www4.uwm.edu

Brady Street Business Improvement District: http://bradystreet.org

Historic Downer Ave: http://www.downeravenue.com

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I thought a good way to start this thread was to post this story from about two weeks ago:

New Apartment Complex for Brady Street
Proposed three-floor structure would offer apartments aimed at millennials plus 2,400 square feel of retail space.

A 23-unit apartment building would replace a shuttered canine social club at the prominent, northwest corner of E. Brady St. and N. Humboldt Ave., if plans by Ogden Development Group are approved. The plans for the $4 million building were unveiled Tuesday evening at a meeting of the Brady Street Area Association.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2015/07/09/plenty-of-horne-new-apartment-complex-for-brady-street/

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I know the design for these apartments have been changed since this rendering, however I don't remember ever seeing the modified design published.

New Design for Greenwich Park Apartments
The 6-story East Side apartment building will have 100 units -- and lots of parking.

A new proposal for a six-story affordable housing development was presented by Mercy Housing Lakefront at a neighborhood meeting held at Saints Peter & Paul Church last night. The development would be built on parking lots owned by the city and US Bank and bounded by N. Murray, E. Thomas and N. Farwell avenues.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/10/09/eyes-on-milwaukee-new-design-for-greenwich-park-apartments/

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
1701 N Humbolt Ave Building From Commercial to 3 Story Apartment building

More lovely infill being proposed! Empty one story vacant commercial building to a 3 story building, first level commercial and then the upper 2 stories to house 22-24 apartments.

Would need Common Council and Historic Preservation Commission review. They hope to submit designs before the September meetings for both boards. Kovac holding listening sessions in Hedwig Church on July 29.

All sounds good, build it now!

EDIT: Forgot it was already announced, I'm too tired for this today lol But hey, at least this article gives some timeline information.

·
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, does anyone have any progress photos from the North End's latest phase? I feel like this project is taking FOREVER to get built. Anyways I'm really excited to see Anytime Fitness opening in the Phase 2 part of the project and I'm equally excited to see them cap the project off with phase 4.

If you happen to be in the area and could snap some photos of this project as well as the Rhythm project, I would be grateful!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I know most if not all of us have seen these proposals numerous times, but I thought again if this is supposed to be an archive of projects and construction in the neighborhood that I would post images of everything either planned or under construction:

The Rhythm Apartments
The North End - Phase 4
Building 1

Building 2
River House

I did not include any renderings of Brady and Water because does anyone really know what that project is even supposed to look like anymore. I think I can find several different sets of renderings online and none of them really say which ones are the official ones that are going to be used for construction.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hey Splat8, the renderings of the North End Phase IV you posted are all of the second smaller building from different sides (the one across water st) so you missed the bigger building on the river.

Also, Brady/Water was said to have been re-designed to 10 stories or so but nothing has been released yet as they say they're still working on it. If that rumor is true that would be a great addition.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Hey Splat8, the renderings of the North End Phase IV you posted are all of the second smaller building from different sides (the one across water st) so you missed the bigger building on the river.

Also, Brady/Water was said to have been re-designed to 10 stories or so but nothing has been released yet as they say they're still working on it. If that rumor is true that would be a great addition.
Sorry, the site I pulled these from had them listed as the two different buildings. I thought the top one was the larger building along the river, but viewed from the street instead of the back. I can try to pull the image with the river view and post it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Sorry, the site I pulled these from had them listed as the two different buildings. I thought the top one was the larger building along the river, but viewed from the street instead of the back. I can try to pull the image with the river view and post it.
Hmmm, maybe you're right the more that I look at it. It just kinda looks like the same building but you may be right.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hmmm, maybe you're right the more that I look at it. It just kinda looks like the same building but you may be right.
It's new construction in Milwaukee. They all look the same. :)

The first one posted looks like the big building on the river and not just the other side of the smaller one. If you look at the rendering of the smaller one it's on a hillside and the other side only has 5 stories. The big building has 6 on both sides.

·
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They do all kind of look the same but they do look urban and all sort of play with a different set of colors and textures which add excitement to the neighborhood. I would say the one that sort of breaks the mold would be RiverHouse with the cream city brick and all. The riverside rooftop pool will be a nice amenity for the residents of the North End. I'll be curious to see what Brady and Water ends up looking like. I have a feeling that it will be a fairly open development helping connect residents to the river. I base this solely off of their old renderings:

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
So now there are a couple of projects using cream city bricks. That clay is all used up long ago, right? So where is the supply of old bricks coming from? Where is the stash?

Wouldn't it be cool if somewhere they found a new source of the clay?

·
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UWM's new "Lubar Center for entrepreneurship" funded by a generous donation from Sheldon and Marianne Lubar will sit at the northwest corner of Maryland and Kenwood on UWM's Kenwood Campus:

More about that project here

It's great to see UWM is still moving forward with revamping their physical campus. In the future I would love to see the pathway that traverses UWM from Curtain Hall all the way through to the Engineering and Mathematical Sciences building developed into a landscaped thoroughfare much like East Campus Mall in Madison. Plastering their logo everywhere can really help create a sense of pride in ones school.

·
Registered
870 Posts
UWM's new "Lubar Center for entrepreneurship" funded by a generous donation from Sheldon and Marianne Lubar will sit at the northwest corner of Maryland and Kenwood on UWM's Kenwood Campus:

/snip

More about that project here

It's great to see UWM is still moving forward with revamping their physical campus. In the future I would love to see the pathway that traverses UWM from Curtain Hall all the way through to the Engineering and Mathematical Sciences building developed into a landscaped thoroughfare much like East Campus Mall in Madison. Plastering their logo everywhere can really help create a sense of pride in ones school.
I'm excited about the new construction on campus. And if they follow the timeline they proposed and finish it by the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018 (which I doubt) I'll still be a student when it opens.

Regarding the main thoroughfare idea: there's going to be a panther statue right in front of the library soon. Not a statue of Pounce (but that would be hilarious) but a statue of an actual panther. There will also be a Bublr Bikes station right there. I walk that path a lot and it's already pretty well landscaped, with a good number of trees, the fountain, and both of the big squares by the union. East Campus Mall is overall wider and way better paved, though. And it's lined with more diverse, mixed use buildings. The closest that that path at UWM has to anything that isn't just academic is a guy with a hotdog cart. And there's really no way to diversify those buildings unless you build a Chipotle in Hartford Ave School's playground.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
These photos are from July 29th and I know a link was posted to them on the main thread, however I thought maybe they should be posted in the dedicated thread as well:

The North End Phase 3
[/url]The North End by Milwaukee My Home Town, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Rhythm
[/url]Rhythm site by Milwaukee My Home Town, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]Rhythm site by Milwaukee My Home Town, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Unfortunately there are no immediate plans for this site, but Klein has been pretty busy with other developments around the city and I think we can look forward to a pretty quality development at this site in the not too distant future:

Klein buys into land near Brady Street for future redevelopment

Developer Michael Klein bought a property near East Brady Street in Milwaukee with a longtime neighborhood stakeholder, and the two are exploring options to redevelop the land.

Klein, president of Klein Development in Milwaukee, now owns the property with Jeno Cataldo, a real estate broker who grew up in the Brady Street area. Cataldo was part of a three-person development group that bought the Franklin Place property in February 2014 from Jesus’ Soul Saving Traveling Mission Inc.

Cataldo said that group explored redevelopment options, including potentially combining the mission with the Milwaukee Housing Authority’s neighboring Arlington Court high-rise for a broader project. Nothing came to fruition, and this month Cataldo’s two other partners were bought out by Klein.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2015/08/klein-buys-into-land-near-brady-street-for-future.html

1 - 20 of 1416 Posts