1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this very interesting....

War on saturated fat is over: Ketogenic, Atkins and Paleo diets are vindicated

The war on dietary fat may finally be over, as scientists now concede they were wrong to say saturated fat was unhealthy for the past four decades, Time magazine trumpeted. The admission vindicates the high-fat, low-carb ketogenic, Atkins, and Paleo diets, whose proponents have said all along that eating fat does not make you fat.

In a provocative cover story, Time said the 40-year demonization of saturated fat as the cause of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease was based on flawed data, citing a March 2014 Cambridge University study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

“It’s not saturated fat we should worry about," said cardiologist Dr. Rajiv Chowdhury, lead author of the study. "It’s the high-carb or sugary diet that should be the focus of dietary guidelines.”

Dr. Chowdhury joins a growing list of medical experts to dispel the myth that saturated fat is the cause of obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, and cardiovascular disease. A high-carb diet — particularly one high in sugar and refined carbs — is to blame for these illnesses, he said.

Chowdhury and his colleagues drew their conclusions after reviewing data from 72 published studies of more than 600,000 people from 18 countries. Chowdhury is not the only heart doctor who holds this opinion. Cardiologist Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly, said a low-carb, high-fat diet reverses type 2 diabetes and prevents heart disease.

'Anti-Fat Crusade Was Driven By Corporate Greed'

In October 2013, cardiologist Aseem Malhotra rocked the nutrition world with his declaration that saturated fat is good for you.

In a BMJ commentary, Dr. Malhotra said there's no evidence that unprocessed saturated fat causes heart attacks, obesity or diabetes. If anything, he said consuming healthy fats (like those found in grass-fed meat, nuts, coconut oil, butter, olive oil, salmon and avocados) protect against these diseases.

According to Malhotra, the anti-fat crusade stemmed from greed on the part of food corporations who profited from shilling their low-fat, high-carb snacks.

"The food industry has profited from the low-fat mantra for decades because foods that are marketed as low-fat are often loaded with sugar," he said. "We are now learning that added sugar in food is driving the obesity epidemic and the rise in diabetes and cardiovascular disease.”

Low-Carb Diets Curb Pro-Inflammatory Insulin Spikes

Investigative journalist Nina Teicholz agrees. The true cause of heart disease and weight gain is a high-carb, sugar-rich diet, said Teicholz, author of The Big Fat Surprise.

According to Teicholz, eating too much refined carbs and not enough unprocessed fat is what has led to the tsunami of overweight, diabetic, sick Americans.

Teicholz echoed the sentiments of science journalist Gary Taubes, who has long argued that fat has been wrongly blamed for causing obesity and other degenerative diseases. Taubes detailed his research in his No. 1 bestseller, Why We Get Fat.

According to obesity experts, a high-carb diet promotes disease and weight gain by causing pro-inflammatory spikes in blood glucose and blood insulin. By limiting those surges in blood sugar, we dramatically reduce inflammation, which is what fuels disease, they say.

Eating Fat Makes You Skinny and Healthy

Obesity expert Dr. Eric Westman said low-carb, high-fat eating plans like the ketogenic and Atkins diets not only spur rapid weight loss, but combat epilepsy, type 2 diabetes, and heart diseases.

Dr. Jeff Volek, author of The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living, told me the ketogenic diet can also improve mood and reduce inflammation. Volek said the LCHF ketogenic diet is beneficial both for elite endurance athletes and the average sedentary individual.

"There are very few people that a ketogenic diet could not help," said Dr. Volek, who has followed the ketogenic diet for the past 20 years.

Dr. Westman, director of the Duke University Obesity Clinic, has helped hundreds of morbidly obese individuals lose thousands of pounds on the ketogenic and Atkins diets. He is pleased that mainstream media is finally debunking the myth that eating fat makes you fat and sick. To the contrary, he said: Eating fat makes you skinny and healthy.

"I tell my patients not to fear the fat," said Dr. Westman, author of A New Atkins for a New You. "Eat lots of fat. Fat makes you feel full. There's no problem with fat. In fact, saturated fat — the fat that we've been taught not to eat — raises your good cholesterol best of all the foods you can eat."

http://www.examiner.com/article/sat...ed-by-mainstream-media-on-stunning-time-cover

·
I need to find myself
5,584 Posts
Everything in moderation says me who is guilty of overeating.

Reactions: castrovalva

·
Environmental Busybody
13,873 Posts
I agree, have known this for 15 years.

Has anyone been watching the series 'The Men who Made us Fat'? The food industry is just as insidious as the tobacco industry, to worse effect even perhaps, considering everyone eats.

There was a good article 10 years ago as well in New Scientist, can't access it unfortunately, but it was about how it was inflammation that causes vascular disease, not dietary fat intake. That's why you're told to have good dental hygiene to prevent heart disease, gum disease is inflammation. The general knowledge about it doesn't seem to be out there still yet. On top of that, it is excess blood sugar that causes inflammation of your blood vessels. Once they're inflamed, the body produces its own cholesterol to lay down over the damage, cholesterol is the body's way of healing damage. That is why diabetics have vascular disease, it has nothing to do with their dietary fat intake. And much more to do with their carbohydrate intake.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,873 Posts
One of the things they discussed, that it's a myth that everyone is becoming more inactive, including school children. It was a british government investigation into why people's weight was going up, and they pinpointed diet, principally the vast array of chocolate, sugary drinks, processed foods etc that gets consumed now (even things like muesli bars and fruit drinks in the lunch box equate to blood sugar spikes). The food industry didn't like it and put out a counter-campaign out to say that it was people's inactivity that was making them fat. They also started putting out 'healthy' food ranges, which are anything but.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought you might like this article Kel, you've been saying it for ages. :)

Its interesting when I hit the Atkins diet years ago it worked to no end but left me with severe headaches. Maybe a less militant version would be better. Its interesting talking cholesterol with my Dr as he completely blames fat. He is a vegetarian and has a higher cholesterol count than me so he his on medication, doesn't want to put me on it though.

I still get caught up in this though, can't get fat = bad out of my mindset. And I think one thing the article does fail to call out is moderation. Fat still equals calories.

·
Environmental Busybody
13,873 Posts
I know one vegan and she has high cholesterol. And another vegetarian I know has high cholesterol. Anecdotal but still, it's not what you expect. Mine is low and has been dropping over the years, the only time it went up a bit was when I was on a strict weight loss programme, I just happened to have a test before starting, and then one four months later, it was a bit of a surprise, there was no fat on that diet but I'm suspecting that it was more that weight loss is hard on the body.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have known all this for years too. This shit isn't rocket science, it's common sense. It's like the whole calcium from dairy thing. When you say "calcium" and "diet" together, most people think "dairy", but actually it's just good marketing.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I suggest you don't eat a lot of butter, like everyone is saying moderate amounts is fine. I certainly think butter is better than margarine. I have not much faith in the Atkins or Paleo diets, prefer the Mediterranean diet and good quality olive oil myself.

·
I need to find myself
5,584 Posts
I know one vegan and she has high cholesterol. And another vegetarian I know has high cholesterol. Anecdotal but still, it's not what you expect. Mine is low and has been dropping over the years, the only time it went up a bit was when I was on a strict weight loss programme, I just happened to have a test before starting, and then one four months later, it was a bit of a surprise, there was no fat on that diet but I'm suspecting that it was more that weight loss is hard on the body.
Funny, I thought you were a fat girl by reading the posts you had made about weight loss. How wrong I was.

·
Registered
11,509 Posts
One of the things they discussed, that it's a myth that everyone is becoming more inactive, including school children. It was a british government investigation into why people's weight was going up, and they pinpointed diet, principally the vast array of chocolate, sugary drinks, processed foods etc that gets consumed now (even things like muesli bars and fruit drinks in the lunch box equate to blood sugar spikes). The food industry didn't like it and put out a counter-campaign out to say that it was people's inactivity that was making them fat. They also started putting out 'healthy' food ranges, which are anything but.
Hey hey, not all chocolate is evil. Dark chocolate is supposed to be good for us, not bad. :lol:

But I agree with you entirely. We've always vilified fat and also sodium (which is fine in moderation), it's actually sugar that is the culprit. I'm so sick of the conflicted information we receive practically monthly, one team says "fat, sodium the cause of poor health" then the next team says "hey, it's not fat, it's sugar!" Hopefully this latest study will put it to rest.

·
i've changed my mind
3,880 Posts
does anyone else put a bit of butter in the oil when shallow frying things?? my mother did it, and now i do it too :dunno:

·
Muppet Pastor
783 Posts
I'm on the fence about this, given my dad had a quad bypass just over a year and a half ago and I've possibly got the genes responsible. Can understand the inflammation side of things, but not sure if I want additional fat floating through my bloodstream and possibly building up in my arteries at the same time.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
does anyone else put a bit of butter in the oil when shallow frying things?? my mother did it, and now i do it too :dunno:
Yeah, I do this too... I assume it's probably an old wives tale but I got taught that the oil is for the colour and the butter's for the flavour.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts