SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eco Skyscrapers to Rise in Bulgaria

Business: 8 May 2006, Monday.

Eco skyscrapers from a last generation might rise in Bulgaria's capital Sofia, Black Sea cities Burgas and Varna and the country's second city Plovdiv over the next few years.

Georgi Stoilov, President of "Interarch" 2006 seminar that is to kick off in Sofia on May 11, broke the news Monday explaining that the eco skyscrapers provide more space and greenery in the city atmosphere.

The 11th edition of the forum will take place May 14 to 17 in Sofia and a contest for an eco skyscraper has been opened within the expo. So far 12 projects have been submitted, three of them come from Bulgaria authors. Eco skyscrapers have already been built in Frankfurt and several Asian countries.

Over 200 architects and students have already declared their willingness to participate in the forum dedicated to "Globalisation of the community and the values of architecture."

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=63143

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
lol
Well here's the problem with this article.
This is simply a competition, everybody can make such plans, hell, I make draw lots of skyscrapers, that doesn't make me an architect nor will it build a tower.
You need investors and a need, and that's why these skyscrapers won't get built.
What I like though, is that this is a good precursor for things to come, through this kind of competitions it can develop a culture of skyscrapers, inspiring new architects, and who knows, soon somebody called Ivan Donkov can be the new Cesar Pelli, or could be the head architect of SOM, etc. And it can make the population have a better view for skyscrapers. Just like Jan's job is to promote skyscrapers or something like that.
Because if Malmo can build a Turning Torso, I'm sure at least one Bulgarian city can build at least a 100m tall tower. I want urbanism, I want density, but I also want quality, I certainly do NOT want a new Benidorm, that place is ugly, and I fear that the bulgarian coast will look like a mini-Benidorm at the rate that they're building now :(
And those green towers they're talking about, HQE, they forget about the BOaT here in NYC, it's going to recycle and use rainwater! Then there's also Conde Nast, but I would rather not have that tower even exist. At least the spire

·
Super Moderator
11,283 Posts
Seems the exhibition is open:
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=63450
Eco Skyscrapers Highlight Bulgarian Forum
Business: 14 May 2006, Sunday.

The "Interarch" 2006 forum opened for the eleventh time in Sofia amid expectations of projects of eco skyscrapers that might rise in the near future in Bulgaria.

The forum will take place from May 14 to 17 in Sofia and a contest for an eco skyscraper has been opened within the expo. So far 12 projects have been submitted, three of them come from Bulgaria authors. Eco skyscrapers have already been built in Frankfurt and several Asian countries.

More than 200 architects and students are expected to participate in the forum dedicated to "Globalisation of the community and the values of architecture."

The event is organized by the International Architecture Academy, the Union of Bulgarian Architects, the University in Architecture and Construction. It takes place under the patronage of President Georgi Parvanov.

Photo by Yuliana Nikolova (Sofia News Agency)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts