Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of Turkey's previous Prime Ministers Nejmeddin Erbakan was working on a plan about an Islamic union called D9 (D9 means Giant-9 in English) about 12-13 years ago.

He was a stable supporter of an extreme form of Islamism and his project contained the nine economic and political power of the Muslim World; Turkey, Iran, Egypt, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Nigeria and Bangladesh.

In recent days I remember Erbakan's project and I wonder what is the present economic situation of these nine countries.

According to IMF and with 2006 numbers (nominal) the situation is as below.

18. Turkey 392.424
21. Indonesia 364.239
23. Saudi Arabia 348.604
32. Iran 212.492
38. U.A.E. 168.263
39. Malaysia 150.923
45. Pakistan 128.996
48. Nigeria 115.350
51. Egypt 107.375
57. Bangladesh 65.216

TOTAL: 2.102.939

In my opinion Erbakan's attempt was very courageously but not realistic. The question is;

What do you think about Erbakan's ex-project? Do you think it is probable that Muslim countries can establish any economic or political union with these economic numbers?

Note1: I know OIC (Organisation of the Islamic Conference) but I think it's not a strong political or economic union. So my question is still valid.

Note2: U.A.E was not a part of Erbakan's project but I think she is a very dynamic economy of Islamic world nowadays and she must be added to the list.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Im more willing to accept a geographic union. An Islamic union would mean uniting with a country in the very other side of the world. It wont help us much.

·
Believer
105 Posts
First and foremost, a union based on religion is stupid. The Muslim world continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. A union based on economy, technology and other current important issues is possible and acceptable. A union based on religion is a disaster.

·
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)
1,106 Posts
he hsould call it D12:D

Pekcing to Paris:p

but yes, i agree that if this was indeed supposed to happen, it SHOULD NOT be based upon religion
"A union based on economy, technology and other current important issues is possible and acceptable. A union based on religion is a disaster."

Amen to that! :eek:kay:

·
Banned
747 Posts
^^ :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

still u confuse me .

·
Registered
584 Posts
First and foremost, a union based on religion is stupid. The Muslim world continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. A union based on economy, technology and other current important issues is possible and acceptable. A union based on religion is a disaster.
Quite right. A Union is more geopolitical than religious...

For example, I can make a regional, continental or territorial Union. So my union is based on geographic fundamentals...

And then I make restrictions. E.g. the Union must adhere to Economic Liberalism (e.g. free marketism, mixed economy, etc). And there must be significant freedom of speech, democracy, etc. So my union is now also based on politics and economy.

So its based on geopolitical aspects.

E.g. European Union: based on the fact that only European countries could join the union. Countries must belong to the European plateau. So this makes the union geographic. But now heres the restriction. Countries must support democracy, economic liberalism, etc. And there must be no military disputes, which is why Turkey isnt in the Union. Turkey still has internal problems with army takeovers, etc.

===========

So in the end I also dont support Islamic unions. I think theyre a waste of time. Theyre not a success. Its like a pro-Arab union, a big waste. Dont bring race and religion into the matter. A union must be based on economic and political principles.

·
2,424 Posts
EU, though unofficially, accepts countries with deep european values only. ;) And we all know what that means.
---
So i guess they're just kidding themselves when they rejected calls to refer to Europe's Christian roots in the EU constitution!? huh..?

Values don't have to be associated with reiligion... European values doesn't mean Christianity... And its called the 'European Union'... So countries must have a European identity to join obviously..

Not everything is about religion... ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
So i guess they're just kidding themselves when they rejected calls to refer to Europe's Christian roots in the EU constitution!? huh..?
Google Soviet's Union constitution. It was all about freedom, prosperity and equality. :|

So countries must have a European identity to join obviously..
Well, those countries mentioned above all have muslim identity. ;)

And that identity isn't just religion. Because, Bosnia is secular country, few people care about religion, but still vast majority of Bosniaks think of themselves as Muslim.

·
Registered
542 Posts
And there must be no military disputes, which is why Turkey isnt in the Union. Turkey still has internal problems with army takeovers, etc.
Yeah, and Bulgaria (a member) is shiny example of political stability and economic prosperity. :/ It's more than obvious that Turkey is discriminated.

·
2,424 Posts
Google Soviet's Union constitution. It was all about freedom, prosperity and equality. :|

Well, those countries mentioned above all have muslim identity. ;)

And that identity isn't just religion. Because, Bosnia is secular country, few people care about religion, but still vast majority of Bosniaks think of themselves as Muslim.
Well just because the Soviet Union might've been hypocrites doesn't mean the rest of the world or Europe is..!

In bahrain, the constitution talks about equality of all bahrainis, men and women... etc...

But have still to pass a law about wages/salaries being equal for both men and woman in the same position... (cuz sadly, there does exist a difference in many cases i believe)...

And i'm not sure what Bosnia has anything to do with it all.. i think u shot down ur own initial argument by mentioning Bosnia...

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
Countries must support democracy, economic liberalism, etc. And there must be no military disputes, which is why Turkey isnt in the Union. Turkey still has internal problems with army takeovers, etc.
you know we Turks are happy with our army,
Europe can talk against the wall.

So many european people are now unhappy. Its not (shouldnt be) only economic, democracy... Culture is very important, they support this one eropean feeling, so stupid, I must hear this shit at school. For example people in France can not accept that, they are to pride and they are right.

An arab union? It is possible but not now, too many problems in the region.

and Erbakan about an Islamic union? yes his dream is a union, but another union. lol I wouldnt trust him as an arab, he still believes that he lives in the Ottoman empire, you guys know what I mean.

·
Believer
105 Posts
A middle eastern Union, Asian Union, South Eastern union or African union is quite possible and feasible because all countries are geographically located in the same area. I mean look at at the G8 for example; the reason it works because it is based on a practical principle of economy. Lets look at a possible laws governed by an Islamic union: What type materials can women use to cover their entire body; How should we line up in mosques to pray; how long our beards have to grow so we can all go to heaven.....Yea this will really really get us the power and ofcourse take us to heaven.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
NO!

I cant trust my politicians.
(I believe that someone must control them.)

so I trust at first the turkish army, like most of the Turks.

when I see for example Hizbullah in Lebanon, I trust my army more.
I know such partys cant exist in Turkey.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts