SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 865 Posts

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think its about time this got a thread of its own considering detailed plans have been released and work is to start in the not to distant future.

Development: Edgbaston shopping centre
Architects: REID Architecture
Cost: £90m
Use: Mixed
Area: 9300 m2 (Retail & Leisure) 14,000 m2 (Office & Hotel)
Height: 16 storeys decending to 7
Project team: M&E, engineer Banners Gate, QS, The Back Group and structural engineer White Young Green

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Didn't realise this had moved on as much as this. I really like the tall tower mirroring cobalt square. This will make a great gateway into the city.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks like the scheme has been cut down in size abit as the buildings look shorter than i thougt they would be. Looks OK, but only ok. Looks nice at night with all the lighting but the buildings themselves are fairly average judging by the daytime pic.

·
Banned
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Dee im nicking your idea.

You can just about see where these are going to be situated at the top of the image - Should, or will act as a great medium sized tower and continue the little gradually rise in height of the buldings into the city center.

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/birmingham/bm46.htm

·
Brummie & Proud
2,964 Posts
There are layouts on display in one of the vacant shops and these show the block nearest the Marriot is an extension of the hotel consisting of a banqueting suite and rooms above attached to the hotel by a link block

·
Registered
174 Posts
Seems the tower blocks are going the wrong way, they should be getting taller as you get closer towards Fiveways, and then over the road would be a nice 100m+ tower on the fiveways shopping centre site with a even taller tower on the Tramps site...well thats my own vision anyway :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I do like these new renders. Anything is better than what we have at the moment. I just hope they're enough demand for a shopping centre so far out from the main CBD, although I guess this new centre will be popular with office workers in the area and for people in the nearby suburbs of Harborne, Edgbaston and Ladywood et al who don't want to venture too far into the central hub.

But overall Im pleased with the new plan, hopefully it will get tweaked and shaped before the final PP is submitted.

·
15,712 Posts
one thing that shocked me was when my mother used to work at the barclays bank there. i met up with her once for a bite of lunch and i was supprised to how busy the area was. it almost seems that between 12 and 3 pm all the office workers our out and decsend onto this shopping centre. i just wana know when the hell this is going to start!

·
Registered
409 Posts
The building their at the moment is incredibly dilapithated....This is a massive improvement...Is their a date for when it i'll go under construction..?..Or is this thinking too far ahead...

·
Registered
968 Posts
one thing about living in Brum is not to have very high expectation of anything actually happening for the common good in this bloody city. Patience is more than a virtue, its a way of bloody life here, followed by huge disappointment when anything remotely interesting is binned because of a moribund council that is still a fully signed-up member of the Flat-Earth Society :sleepy:

1 - 20 of 865 Posts