Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 333 Posts

·
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for its own thread i think

Overview Location Partners Contact
Experience variety
A unique new landmark mixed use development is being created in the heart of Edgbaston, alongside the internationally famous Edgbaston Cricket Ground.

The prestigious scheme is set around a new square and will provide retail, restaurant, leisure, office and hotel facilities on the 9 acre site.

The commercial uses are complemented with 344 new apartments, being developed by Redrow.

·
Simples
6,803 Posts
I can't peice what this will all look like together.. have we seen a Masterplan for the whole site. i'd like to get a feel for how all the buildings will relate to each other and their surrounds?

·
Interested Party
325 Posts
Biosonic said:
That looks rather cool :cool:
Yes, it does rather, doesn't it? Noticed there were banner adverts for the apartments on display at the Test Match this weekend, "just over the boundry" or some-such slogan.

As to the comment on another thread that it's good but in too much of a suburb, well yes it's in leafy Edgbaston, but I think this, with the Arts Centre, Cricket Ground, Cannon Hill Park, plus Pebble Mill & Technology Corridor-whatever, will feel like a 'buzzing', busy area on the city-centres doorstep. I'm interested in how the what we think of as 'the city-centre' is expanding, and if we can keep the 'compact' feeling, so we can grow without feeling too spread out and dis-connected. I think Bristol Street has potential to be re-developed, with Park Central and the proposed Haddon Tower replacemnet on one side, the old Matthew Boulton College site and shabby car showrooms on the other, with Southside/iLand beyond, so reaching out towards the Tally-Ho area. All we have to do is demolish the Etap hotel and Dome nightclub.

·
14,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dome defo shuld be a prime site to be redeveloped

though i agree it should become more linked into the city centre...... lets just hope the bristol street gateway project/policys gets off the ground!

·
Second Citizen
16,929 Posts
http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...objectid=18899163&siteid=50002-name_page.html

WORK on two new restaurants in the first phase of a £100 million development opposite Edgbaston's cricket ground moved a step closer today after city planners gave proposals the green light.

Consent has been given for a 14,000 sq ft foodstore, 9,300 sq ft of shops and restaurants, plus 17,000 of leisure space in the first commercial phase of the 450,000 sq ft scheme.

More than 300 luxury apartments are also being built on the development, alongside office space and a 120 bedroom hotel.

Residents have been assured that the restaurant plans do not include hot food takeaway-style businesses which could encourage a litter problem opposite the cricket ground.

Landowner Calthorpe Estates, which owns the site, has been working with architects Crouch Butler.

Geoffrey Barrett, director of Crouch Butler, said: "Our aim has been to design a scheme fit for this world famous location which will match, if not surpass, similar areas in other major European cities.

Edgbaston Mill will have a key role to play as a vibrant social hub linking Edgbaston's sporting venues, cultural centres and green spaces."

David Povall, Calthorpe's commercial director, said: "Edgbaston Mill promises to become a unique retail and leisure destination that Birmingham can be proud of.

"We are close to securing occupiers for all elements of this phase who are all very keen to locate to this site."

Work is due to begin on the commercial element of the scheme, which is being developed with partners Cordwell Property Group this summer and the scheme is due to be completed in phases from 2008.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Bump,
not long till this makes the under construction sub-forum, the approval was given recently.

Application number
S/05939/07/FUL

Date application received
26/09/2007

Date application registered
26/09/2007

Date application decided
17/01/2008

209 Edgbaston Road, Edgbaston Mill, Edgbaston, Birmingham,

Proposal
Mixed use commercial block including a hotel, restaurants, D2 leisure space, car park and landscaping.

Status
Approve

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,690 Posts
DELETED POST - Should have read the first post.

·
Brummie & Proud
2,974 Posts
I'm not sure whether this is the most up to date thread for this site but there is now a sign saying "Hotel & Retail Plots For Sale". Don't know whether this means that the Holiday Inn Express pre-let has fallen through or whether they are looking at getting another hotel for the remainder of the site.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
If it was unit's it might sound better as they probably had one or two units left to prelet but the plots sounds worse. I expect the current conditions aren't great.

Which side was the sign. The plot closest to the police training centre was earmarked for offices which i guess could change.

I wonder if Calthorpe and developer relooking at plans based on the Cricket Ground plans over the road which are to include offices and maybe hotel (not sure?) in the scheme adjoining the ground and Pershore Road?

·
Wheels...
4,236 Posts
sorry to sound negative but this looks truly revolting and cheap for Edgbaston. Beige cladding akimbo. Once again, Brum atracts medicore architects IMO.

I don't understand who would want to buy one of these? I wouldn't even view it. I'm not saying this for effect or to to offend anyone, but the design is so basic and child like.

1 - 20 of 333 Posts