SkyscraperCity banner

2241 - 2260 of 2295 Posts

·
10,938 Posts
Application submitted by Susan Stephen Architects for a mixed-use development on Gorgie Road - 28 flats, 217 student beds & 950 m² of commercial space across 3 units. The site comprises the existing ground floor of ELS House (upper floors under separate ownership and operated as student accommodation) and industrial buildings to the rear.

20/00619/FUL | Erection of mixed-use development comprising residential flats, purpose-built student accommodation, associated car parking, cycle parking, landscaping and infrastructure; change of use of existing car showroom to class 1 and class 3 uses. | 553 - 555 Gorgie Road Edinburgh EH11 3LE

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You've got to feel sorry for the National Trust for Scotland's Stenhouse Mansion - a bit of which is visible in one of the pics

Surrounded by all that kack on all sides. I've cycled up and not sure it is ever open or just preserved as some sort of storehouse. Not listed as an attraction on the NTS website. Hard to tell if this will improve matters at all but in time if the other sheds went it might get some air.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9297654,-3.2555328,3a,75y,147.79h,97.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqWWVzH4Qt7sfKOucSKclQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You've got to feel sorry for the National Trust for Scotland's Stenhouse Mansion - a bit of which is visible in one of the pics

Surrounded by all that kack on all sides. I've cycled up and not sure it is ever open or just preserved as some sort of storehouse. Not listed as an attraction on the NTS website. Hard to tell if this will improve matters at all but in time if the other sheds went it might get some air.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9297654,-3.2555328,3a,75y,147.79h,97.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqWWVzH4Qt7sfKOucSKclQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Pretty sure it’s the latter. A mate of mine works at NTS and he mentioned recently that there was a proposal to move his team there, which he’d quite like, but as the object of the exercise is to make savings and he reckons they would have to spend a bit on the building before it would be practical, he’s dubious that it’s likely to happen. I think that was the gist anyway, I’ll ask him next time I see him.

·
Registered
742 Posts

I found this bit of info about it:

https://www.scottish-places.info/features/featurefirst7834.html

Its a shame that this grand looking building is surrounded by industrial units.

The building reminds me a little bit of Bruntsfield House.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Reduction in number of bin locations set to be approved by Edinburgh councillors

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/reduction-number-bin-locations-set-be-approved-edinburgh-councillors-1996306

Residents in Edinburgh will face a longer walk to dispose of their rubbish as part of plans to reduce the overall number of communal residential bin locations due to be approved by councillors.

Plans to reduce the number of bin locations are set to be discussed at the council's transport and environment committee meeting today.

If approved, Capital residents living in tenements could see their existing bin disappear and move to a new waste collection 'hub' with recycling facilities as well as refuse bins.

The move hopes to reduce the number of missed bin collections and improve the level of recycling by reducing the overall number of communal bin locations and creating "integrated hubs".

Environment convener Lesley Macinnes said the proposals will make it easier for those reliant on communal bins to recycle and reduce street clutter.

The plans, which follow a trial in Albert Street, will be rolled out in Leith and Leith Walk first before being extended to the rest of the city by the end of next year.

The bins - which in most locations would be wheeled communal bins - will include increased capacity for dry mixed recycling but will take less non-recyclable waste.

However the council say the capacity will match or exceed the current per household amount available to residents who have their bins picked up from the kerb.

The plans could also see residents forced to walk further to dispose of their rubbish, with a 50m maximum walk for getting rid of rubbish contained within the proposals.

Environment convener Lesley Macinnes said: "We're enormously grateful to all our residents for their efforts to minimise waste by reducing, reusing and recycling, helping us lower our carbon footprint as we work towards our Net Zero Carbon 2030 target.

"The reality just now, though, is that it's not as easy to recycle if you're reliant on on-street communal bins than if your bins are collected at the kerbside, and this imbalance is exactly what this project seeks to rectify.

"Enlarging recycling capacity and increasing the range of materials people can recycle on-street will definitely boost recycling rates and the integrated 'hubs' will not only enhance the streetscape but also mean residents have a one-stop shop for all their waste.

"There are a number of factors behind overflowing communal bins, from trade waste abuse, double parking and the explosion of short term lets to highly transient populations in some ares with on-street collections.

"We're actively addressing these issues across our work as a Council and the proposal to increase collection frequency at on-street locations will further alleviate the problem."

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Pretty sure it’s the latter. A mate of mine works at NTS and he mentioned recently that there was a proposal to move his team there, which he’d quite like, but as the object of the exercise is to make savings and he reckons they would have to spend a bit on the building before it would be practical, he’s dubious that it’s likely to happen. I think that was the gist anyway, I’ll ask him next time I see him.
Further to this, it turns out I'd got hold of the wrong end of the stick somewhat. I thought he was talking about his team actually moving to Stenhouse Mansion and working from there, but although there is a vague plan to get a desk and a couple of PCs there to allow them to do the odd bit of admin from there, what's actually happening is that his team have lost the storage space they had smack in the middle of town which was very handy and are now using Stenhouse Mansion as storage space instead.

I think he said Historic Environment Scotland used to have a team based there, but it's just been used as storage space for the last decade.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Can anyone hook me up with a copy of Collective Architecture's new district redevelopment framework for Granton.

Been looking online for while with no joy - perhaps it's somewhere obvious? If there's a link to it, I'd be really grateful - thanks.

·
10,938 Posts

·
10,938 Posts
11-13 South St Andrew Street - the only part of the former RBS offices not redeveloped as The Registers - is back on the market (pdf). There are consented plans for hotel conversion of the upper floors, including a restaurant housed within a rooftop extension, though the sale also now includes the ground floor commercial unit (previously under separate ownership) creating the potential for wholesale redevelopment of the entire building.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doesn’t appear to be a North Bridge/Waverley Valley thingy, so I’ll park it here!
Hadn’t previously appreciated the reflection of the former jail ramparts in the CEC building.

·
10,938 Posts
PAN submitted for the mixed-use redevelopment by 7N Architects of Elgin House, the former HMRC office at Haymarket Yards.

20/01591/PAN | Proposed Demolition and Re-development of Site for a mix of uses including office (class 4), hotel (class 7) and student accommodation. | Elgin House 20 Haymarket Yards Edinburgh EH12 5WU

Public consultation will be online from 9th - 16th June 2020.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Oh for some site assembly and a properly planned mixed use redevelopment of that mish mash of office plots! Alas, site assembly seems to be something we rarely see.

2241 - 2260 of 2295 Posts