SkyscraperCity Forum banner
281 - 300 of 1240 Posts

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Application submitted by G1 Group for a restaurant conversion of the William Hill bookmaker beside the Caley Picture House.

17/00986/FUL | Proposed change of use from Class 2 (Bookmakers) to Class 3 (Restaurant), installation of flue 600mm diameter to rear. | 25 Lothian Road Edinburgh EH1 2DJ

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I wonder how long Club Tropicana (former Subway West End) will be around for, given that Stereo on King Stables round the corner will be gone soon and other establishments nearby have closed.

Then again, The Cavendish and the Citrus Club have survived thus far.

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Leith Walk's Portuguese bakery, Casa Amiga, opening a second restaurant in the North Bridge Arcade.

17/01076/ADV | Install an illuminated Projecting Sign on North Bridge and Cockburn Street at each end of the North Bridge Arcade. | 7 North Bridge Arcade Edinburgh EH1 1QL

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Application submitted to convert the Clydesdale Bank branch on Hanover Street, part of the Merchant Company Hall, for restaurant use.

17/01359/FUL | Change of Use from retail (bank) to restaurant | 20 Hanover Street Edinburgh EH2 2QW

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They did mention earlier last year they were planning to close, then dropped the plans.

The Citrus Club's quote is interesting though:

"We know how much this place means to so many of our customers and staff and so we have resisted offers from people wanting to turn the club into a piano bar, karaoke bar, gin palace or another souless high street chain and are certain that when the time comes the next incarnation of 40 -42 Grindlay Street will be one you’ll like."

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The Pear Tree House pub is under going a refurbishment:

So what’s going on? Well, it’s something we’ve talked about doing for years. We’re opening up a lot of space in the bar area, including opening up a few original 18th Century features. It’s all going to look pretty spectacular, but very much in keeping with the building’s 268 year history of hosting the good folk of the Southside. Watch this space!
http://pear-tree-house.co.uk/bar/business-as-usual/

·
Registered
610 Posts
While we are on the topic - anyone noticed that the White Horse Bar on Canongate appears as if it hasn't opened in months? Not a great pub by any stretch of the imagination but not knowing its fate has me in suspense.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't think it's been noted already but there is activity down at the old 'Leith Gallery' on the shore and apparently it will be opening as a cafe.

There is also activity ongoing at the units along Commercial Quay, in particular the unit between The Kitchen and the old Wolf and Water.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It was announced at the Brewdog AGM last weekend that Brewdog are to open a new venue in Edinburgh in the unit vacated by Clydesdale bank on Festival square.

Lothian Road is fast becoming craft beer central.
I notice it's your first post, so welcome. :wave:

Very interesting news indeed! Given that the Newington Fix plans crashed and burned this is a much better location for BrewDog.

Club Tropicana sticks out like a sore thumb on Lothian Road now, compared to 10-15 years ago, when something like BrewDog would have stuck out like sore thumb had it opened back then. :lol:

As a matter of interest, were you at the AGM/or do you happen to know if they plan on retaining or closing their current bar in the Cowgate, also any time frame for when Lothian Road bar will open?

·
Registered
610 Posts
While we are on the topic - anyone noticed that the White Horse Bar on Canongate appears as if it hasn't opened in months? Not a great pub by any stretch of the imagination but not knowing its fate has me in suspense.
Answering my own question - they finally put up something on the front of the building. Interestingly, it's going to be a seafood and oyster bar:

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHorseOysterBar/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't think it's been noted already but there is activity down at the old 'Leith Gallery' on the shore and apparently it will be opening as a cafe.

There is also activity ongoing at the units along Commercial Quay, in particular the unit between The Kitchen and the old Wolf and Water.
Posters now gone up for: https://www.facebook.com/CommercialQuay/, it's being done by the folks behind 43 Main Street in Glenrothes. Hopefully these guys can make a success out of it, the last few places don't seem to have had much luck which is a shame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I notice it's your first post, so welcome. :wave:

Very interesting news indeed! Given that the Newington Fix plans crashed and burned this is a much better location for BrewDog.

Club Tropicana sticks out like a sore thumb on Lothian Road now, compared to 10-15 years ago, when something like BrewDog would have stuck out like sore thumb had it opened back then. :lol:

As a matter of interest, were you at the AGM/or do you happen to know if they plan on retaining or closing their current bar in the Cowgate, also any time frame for when Lothian Road bar will open?
Yes I was at the AGM. There was no specific mention of closing the Cowgate location. As they currently have multiple sites in Aberdeen and London I suspect that they will operate two bars in Edinburgh.

They also announced an additional site in Glasgow at the Barras.

·
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
Perhaps unsurprisingly after the go ahead for the Frederick Street restaurant, the application for Five Guys on Princes Street has now been withdrawn.

Application submitted for Five Guys burger chain on Frederick Street.

16/04235/ADV | Install Fascia Sign, Projecting Sign, Internal neon sign and internal lettering sign, White illuminated lettering on red background. Static illumination at 500cd/m. Projecting sign to have external illumination. | 12 Frederick Street Edinburgh EH2 2HB

I checked the status on the Five Guys Princes Street application from late last year and it looks like it's still active, minded to grant but awaiting legal agreement.

281 - 300 of 1240 Posts