Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Salad Days Are Here
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was announced today. Construction to start soon. Not a lot of people keeping tabs on Canadian prairie cities, so I thought I would do it. Renders displayed today.

Article: http://www.rogersplace.com/ead-tallest-tower/

EDMONTON ARENA DISTRICT JOINT VENTURE ANNOUNCES CONSTRUCTION OF EDMONTON’S TALLEST TOWER

EDMONTON (Aug. 26, 2014) – The Edmonton Arena District (EAD) joint venture, between Katz Group and WAM Development Group, announced today the construction of Edmonton’s newest and tallest tower and one of the tallest structures in Western Canada. The new 62-storey tower will be located in the Edmonton Arena District on the corner of 102 street and 103 Avenue with Stantec as the anchor tenant.

Designed to be a LEED Gold Certified building, this mixed-use office, retail and residential project will span approximately one million square feet. The 746 feet high (224 metres) tower, which will host 26 storeys of offices and close to 320 residential units, will be one of the largest mixed use buildings in Western Canada. Construction will begin this fall and the building is scheduled to open in summer 2018. The iconic architecture and innovative design of the new tower will be a significant addition to the Edmonton Arena District and will help elevate and revitalize Edmonton’s downtown core.
Images from above link:

This will be a new tallest in Edmonton so there is a lot of exuberance from the Edmonton forumers that are here.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Reminds me of the new Comcast tower going up in Philly in its massing and that vertical fart that goes up the edge and turns into a fin. I don't think fin is the right word for that...whats the architectural term I am looking for?

I also like how it interacts with the public space between the base of the building and the stadium.

·
39,900 Posts
This is a great day for Edmonton to finally get a building listed in the 'Skyscraper' section. Congratulations Edmonton, you've hit the big time. That's a dynamite arena you're building as well. It promised to be one of the best anywhere. :eek:kay:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Very happy for Edmonton. It seems like the city is finally trying to do something. The shitty roads are being redone all over the city, many new highrises going up and now this. Still tons of work to be done to make the city decent, but this is how you do it.

·
39,900 Posts
Alberta is rapidly changing for the better. It's already a great place to live, but still missing some of the urban qualities many people look for. It will take time, but I think by 2030 this province is going to check off every one of those boxes. You can see it moving in that direction at warp speed.

·
39,900 Posts
I like the wood accents on the podium. They add warmth and texture, 2 important qualities in a climate like this. I'd prefer podiums twice as high as these, but otherwise this looks great for Edmonton.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts