Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The full rankings:

And you can read the full report here: http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Renewable_energy_country_attractiveness_indices_-_Issue_27/$FILE/EY_RECAI_issue_27.pdf

Article:

Egypt in Top 22 Nations for Renewable Investment Potential

To heat up its solar development, the Egyptian government is offering free land to potential solar investors.

Despite Israel’s innovative green tech sector, and Abu Dhabi’s green building commitment at Masdar, the highest-ranking nation in the Middle East for renewable investment potential turns out to be Egypt, according to new rankings from Ernst & Young.

Egypt beat out the other MENA countries in renewable investment attractiveness, to claim the number 22 spot, right above Mexico. Its good renewable energy policy is the reason for the high ranking, along with having started it early: in the 1980s.

Egypt set up the New & Renewable Energy Authority in 1986, accompanied it with the establishment of testing & certification laboratories and personnel training, and has set a series of renewable energy milestones. To date, it is on course to meet its cumulative targets, although not without some upsets along the way.

Egypt requires 20% of renewable energy on the grid by 2020, and it has excellent resources for both solar and wind power generation.

Its solar insolation is better than that of Spain and Greece, with 9 to 11 sunshine hours daily on mostly clear days, but till now, solar energy has been mainly used for water heating, industrial process heat applications and agricultural drying. But it is steadily adding 100 MW solar and wind projects.

Of the 20% renewable energy Egypt expects to get on the grid by 2020, 12% is to come from wind. By 2020 it is expected that wind will contribute 7,200 MW, with 550 MW to be added per year to reach that goal.

A 140MW wind farm has already been installed in El Zaafarana1 and El Zaafarana2, and Germany is working with Egypt to develop new wind farms. The Suez region, where winds average 7-10 m/s is the region under consideration, and because Egypt also needs to receive revenue from tourism in the Suez region, the wind farms are to be placed off-shore.

To fund its ambitious goals, Egypt has been one of the first countries worldwide to tap into the $5.2bn Clean Technology Fund that is managed by the World Bank.
http://www.greenprophet.com/2010/12/egypt-top-22-nations-renewable-investment-potential-ernst-youn/

:cheers:

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,271 Posts
Congratz to Egypt :D :cheer:

though, one african country that over the past year I've heard a lot about regarding renewable energy (morocco) is missing. :?

·
23,360 Posts
The amount of electricity Morocco generates is peanuts compared to Egypt and South Africa. It can afford to generate 40% of its electricity from renewable resources because it requires so very little in the first place. In the long run Egypt and South Africa could very well generate more electricity from renewable resources than Morocco does in total, because both require far more.

World rankings...

Rank Country Electricity - Production (kWh)
16 South Africa 240,254,482,600
29 Egypt 118,966,000,000
69 Morocco 21,556,000,000

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,271 Posts
I am not worrying about total power production and demand, but the potential to invest in renewable energy. If what you said were taken into account, at how Egypt and SA had the potential to produce far more energy from renewable sources than Morocco due to their size, then countries such as Finland, Norway, Ireland, Greece, et cetera wouldn't be on that list.

I'm just shocked to not see Morocco on it when I, and I'm sure most of us, have been hearing news of their rapid investment in renewable energy sources.

·
Registered
52,578 Posts
I'm also surprise. We will have 2500 MW of new solar station in 2020. And also wind.

14% of our electricity will be produce by wind and solar, 9 billions $ investment. ^^

It can maybe explain by the word "Investment Potential".

Lancé en 2009, le projet marocain solaire vise la mise en place d'ici 2020 d'une capacité de production électrique de 2.000 MW sur cinq sites d'une superficie totale de 10.000 ha (voir encadré).
Le projet solaire marocain qui coûtera 9 milliards de dollars, aura des retombées économiques et écologiques indéniables. Il permettra à terme d'économiser annuellement 1 million de tonnes équivalent pétrole (TEP), soit un gain de 500 millions de dollars pour le budget de l'Etat. De même, il permettra d'éviter l'émission de 3,7 millions de tonnes de gaz carbonique.
Cinq stations
La première station prévue dans le cadre du projet est celle de Ouarzazate. D'une puissance de 500 MW, cette station de 2500 ha assurera une production de l'ordre de 1150 GWh/an. Elle entrera en service en 2015. Les quatre autres sites seront mis en service à partir de 2020. Il s'agit de la station de Ain Beni Mathar (Puissance : 400 MW / Superficie : 2000 ha / Production: 835 GWh/an), de la station de Foum El Oued ( Puissance : 500 MW / Superficie : 2500 ha / Production: 1150 GWh/an), de la station de Boujdour ( Puissance: 100 MW / Superficie : 500 ha / Production : 230 GWh/an) et de la station de Sebkhat Tah (Puissance : 500 MW / Superficie: 2500 ha / Production: 1040 GWh/an). Il est à noter que cette production prévisionnelle représente 38% de la puissance installée à fin 2008 et 14% de la puissance électrique à l'horizon 2020. De plus, la capacité de production annuelle du projet Maroc solaire devrait s'élever à quelque 4.500 GWH, soit 18% de la production nationale actuelle.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
èđđeůx;68854821 said:
Congratz to Egypt :D :cheer:

though, one african country that over the past year I've heard a lot about regarding renewable energy (morocco) is missing. :?
I was surprised too, but whatever it is, there's a reason they did not make the list.

I think it could be something along the lines of what Lydon said.

·
23,360 Posts
I'm also surprise. We will have 2500 MW of new solar station in 2020. And also wind.

14% of our electricity will be produce by wind and solar, 9 billions $ investment. ^^

It can maybe explain by the word "Investment Potential".
4500MW - all of your renewable resource generation - will be 18% of your total electricity production in 2020. South Africa is currently building a single coal power station that will produce 4800MW upon completion. We're currently building another coal plant, also of 4800MW, and have 6 nuclear power plants in the pipeline to compliment our existing nuclear power station. Plans are in the works to build the world's largest solar power station, 2 wind farms of 1000-2000MW each, and are currently constructing a 1332MW pump water storage plant. When the water storage plant in completed in 2012, South Africa will be generating 5317.7MW of electricity from wind, water and nuclear energy - already more than Morocco will be producing in 2020 :nuts:

Whilst Morocco's investment in renewable energy is commendable, as I said: in the long run it requires far less electricity than Egypt and South Africa do, and those two countries are the ones that are going to be commissioning large renewable energy projects in future. South Africa's huge solar plant could very well produce more electricity than all of Morocco's projects combined.

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
The list says nothing. Holland is ranked 16, but thet aren't investing in renewable energy. The new governement wants only to build nuclair and coal plants.
Morocco is doing more to develop renewable energy than Holland..

Morocco has also 6000 MW wind potential..
I think Morocco isn't on that list, because the Sahara isn't included..

·
Registered
52,578 Posts
4500MW - all of your renewable resource generation - will be 18% of your total electricity production in 2020. South Africa is currently building a single coal power station that will produce 4800MW upon completion. We're currently building another coal plant, also of 4800MW, and have 6 nuclear power plants in the pipeline to compliment our existing nuclear power station. Plans are in the works to build the world's largest solar power station, 2 wind farms of 1000-2000MW each, and are currently constructing a 1332MW pump water storage plant. When the water storage plant in completed in 2012, South Africa will be generating 5317.7MW of electricity from wind, water and nuclear energy - already more than Morocco will be producing in 2020 :nuts:

Whilst Morocco's investment in renewable energy is commendable, as I said: in the long run it requires far less electricity than Egypt and South Africa do, and those two countries are the ones that are going to be commissioning large renewable energy projects in future. South Africa's huge solar plant could very well produce more electricity than all of Morocco's projects combined.
Morocco ha also clean coal power plant on work at Safi : 2*660MW, and others big projects. But we don't consider it as "renewable energy". Nuclear also. Great to see huge "reneweable" project in Africa.

This classement is talking about investment potential not about realities : " Top 30 Nations for Renewable Energy Investment Potential "

If there is a classment about "real investment" Morocco will be in.

Morocco intend ot have the 1st world city 0% CO² emission in 2015 : Ouarzazate the famous cinema place, with 500MW solar and a huge touristic project.

OUARZAZATE | Centrale Solaire | 2500 ha | 500 MW | 2011-2015 | #Project
OUARZAZATE| Mansour Lake City | #Project

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
It's all relative guys (before we go to the standard Morocco vs Egypt vs South Africa thread again).

Morocco uses far les electricity, simply because of two things. Our economy is mostly based on agricultural output + we don't have a large population. In order to consume as much as Egypt, we have to **** our ass off. To me, its more interesting (and comparable) to see how much (percentage wise) of the total electricity output of a country is made out of Renewable Energy.

Last but not least, who says Morocco was taken into account in the analysis?

·
23,360 Posts
Morocco ha also clean coal power plant on work at Safi : 2*660MW, and others big projects. But we don't consider it as "renewable energy". Nuclear also. Great to see huge "reneweable" project in Africa.

This classement is talking about investment potential not about realities : " Top 30 Nations for Renewable Energy Investment Potential "

If there is a classment about "real investment" Morocco will be in.

Morocco intend ot have the 1st world city 0% CO² emission in 2015 : Ouarzazate the famous cinema place, with 500MW solar and a huge touristic project.

OUARZAZATE | Centrale Solaire | 2500 ha | 500 MW | 2011-2015 | #Project
OUARZAZATE| Mansour Lake City | #Project
Duh coal plants aren't renewable :nuts: I didn't include that in my list. I was mentioning that for the sheer sake of relativity.

It's really not rocket science...why would investors want to build huge renewable power plants in Morocco if Moroccans aren't using enough electricity to warrant their existence, and if neighbouring countries they could perhaps export to could just as well generate electricity by similar means themselves? In Egypt and South Africa huge amounts of electricity is needed, thus their investment potential is far higher.

·
Registered
52,578 Posts
Duh coal plants aren't renewable :nuts: I didn't include that in my list. I was mentioning that for the sheer sake of relativity.

It's really not rocket science...why would investors want to build huge renewable power plants in Morocco if Moroccans aren't using enough electricity to warrant their existence, and if neighbouring countries they could perhaps export to could just as well generate electricity by similar means themselves? In Egypt and South Africa huge amounts of electricity is needed, thus their investment potential is far higher.
Ok, thanks for precision.

Have you ever heard Desertec and Transgreen projects (no Medgrid) ?

2 bigs projects including export solar and wind electricty from africans countries to Europe ?

Le projet Transgreen devient la société Medgrid​

Medgrid veut exporter dans le nord l'énergie propre produite dans le sud de la Méditerranée (carte Transgreen)​

FRANCE / MEDITERRANNE. C'est désormais officiel, le projet Transgreen devient Medgrid. Une signature jeudi 9 décembre 2010 au ministère français de l'énergie vient de porter cette société sur les fonts baptismaux.

Medgrid est ancrée dans le Plan solaire méditerranéen (PSM) développé par l'Union pour la Méditerranée (UpM) et vise à évaluer la faisabilité d'un réseau électrique permettant d'acheminer vers le nord une partie de l'énergie solaire ou éolienne produite au sud.

"Nous avons besoin de construire des autoroutes de l'électricité pour connecter l'Union européenne avec les sources renouvelables" a notamment indiqué Eric Besson nouveau ministre français de l'énergie.

Vingt entreprises, à majorité française, ont paraphé les statuts de la société Medgrid et parmi elles, Alstom, Areva, EDF, Nexans mais également l'Office National de l'Electricité du Maroc (ONE), l'espagnol Red Electrica et l'allemand Siemens.

"Il s'agit d'une structure ouverte et nous souhaitons que tous les pays de la Méditerranée et au-delà puissent être représentés" indique André Merlin, président de Medgrid.

Medgrid est souvent opposé à une autre initiative plus ancienne, Desertec, créée en juillet 2009 et dominée par les entreprises allemandes.
http://www.econostrum.info/Le-projet-Transgreen-devient-la-societe-Medgrid_a4023.html

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Morocco isn't on that list, because the Sahara isn't included..
Last but not least, who says Morocco was taken into account in the analysis?
:doh:

So they made a list based on data from every single country in the world, but randomly decided to leave out Morocco?

Like every country, Morocco is somewhere in the list, just not in the Top 30. Maybe 31 even.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,271 Posts
:doh:

So they made a list based on data from every single country in the world, but randomly decided to leave out Morocco?

Like every country, Morocco is somewhere in the list, just not in the Top 30. Maybe 31 even.
:lol:
Although I am shocked Morocco isn't in the top 30, but you are right it's there somewhere, and I bet it's in the top 40, top 50 minimum. If tiny Ireland, Norway, and Finland can make it on that list then Morocco sure can. So, here's to hoping Morocco gets into the top 30 within the next few years. :cheers: There is no where to go but up.
And even the projects going in on Egypt, SA, and Morocco just excite me for what could be for other African countries regarding renewable energy.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
èđđeůx;68931151 said:
:lol:
Although I am shocked Morocco isn't in the top 30, but you are right it's there somewhere, and I bet it's in the top 40, top 50 minimum. If tiny Ireland, Norway, and Finland can make it on that list then Morocco sure can. So, here's to hoping Morocco gets into the top 30 within the next few years. :cheers: There is no where to go but up.
And even the projects going in on Egypt, SA, and Morocco just excite me for what could be for other African countries regarding renewable energy.
I agree. Morocco is definitely somewhere close by, like I said, I was surprised that they weren’t in the Top 30.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.