Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Egypt's Emergency Services

- Police
Police Tel: 122
Tourist Police Tel: 126
Traffic Police Tel: 128

- Civil Defence (Fire Brigade)
Tel: 180

The Civil Defense falls under the Minstry of Interior, that is why they share the same logo as the police.

- Ambulance EMS
Tel: 123

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ambulance Service EMS

The Ministry of Health is upgrading the nation’s ambulances, with more than 1,200 new Volkswagen T5 vehicles. Each new emergency vehicle is equipped with state-of-the-art lifesaving equipment, for a total vehicle cost of LE 500,000. The equipment includes, bocarol elec. suction,Weinmann Medumat portable automatic Ventilator,Schiller AED,aluminum First-Aid Kit,2 oxygen bottles, stretcher, spinebord, scoop-stretcher stowed underneath and folding evac-chair. The Minsirty of health will also receive six high-speed boats to serve areas in Luxor city and Qena governorate where the Nile is an easier way to transfer patients, teh Ministry will also recevie two helicopter Ambulances. The Ministry of Health has also retrained its 3000 paremedics so that that they are compatible with the new equipment. The Ministry has also started strategically stationing the ambulances in public squares to decrease response times. This has decreased the response time to 8 minutes.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Civil Defense - Fire Brigade

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Egyptian Police

Training

Almost all commissioned officers were graduates of the Police College at Cairo with police had to complete a three-month course at the college. The Police College is a modern institution equipped with laboratory and physical-training facilities. The police force also sent some officers abroad for schooling.

The Police College offers a two-year program which includes: security administration, criminal investigation, military drills, civil defense, fire fighting, forensic medicine, communications, cryptology, first aid, sociology, anatomy, and foreign languages (French and English). Also included are: political orientation, public relations, and military subjects (such as infantry and cavalry training), marksmanship, leadership, and field exercises. Graduates receive a bachelor of police studies degree and are commissioned first lieutenants.

Advanced officer training was given at the college's Institute for Advanced Police Studies, completion of which was required for advancement beyond the rank of lieutenant colonel.

The college's three-month course for enlisted personnel is conducted in a military atmosphere but emphasizes police methods and techniques.

Equipment

The standard equipment for a constable on his beat is the baton which is generally made of wood. This is also his device for personal safety. Egyptian police officers generally do not carry fire-arms when on regular duty, however, arms are always available at police stations. These include .303 Lee Enfield rifles and SKS carbines. Some special units may also have additional automatic weapons like AK 47 Assault Rifles, MP5's and Port Said Submachine guns. Officers of and above the rank of First Lieutenant are authorised to carry a small arm, generally a 9mm Beretta M1951 Pistol.

Transport

Unlike in many other countries, the Egyptian police extensively use SUVs. The Egyptian produced Jeep vehicle used to be the most common police car in Egypt but in recent years, other similar vehicles have also come into police use. SUVs are known for their capabilities to move around in any sort of terrain. Depending upon the location, the police vehicles may have individual revolving lights (strobes) or light bars, sirens etc. An extensive modernisation drive has ensured that these vehicles are equipped with wireless sets in communication with a central control room. Traffic Police vehicles generally also have equipment like speed radars, breath analysers and emergency first aid kits.

For traffic regulation and patrolling in cities, motorcycles are also used. This is because of increasing congestion in cities where the heavier Bullets would prove to be unwieldy when compared to the nimbler handling the newer bikes were capable of. The bikes are provided with two-way radios, strobes and sirens & are generally painted white.

Some cities make use of sedans as patrol vehicles or high speed 'interceptors' on highways. Of late, the various state police forces are on a modernisation drive, upgrading and revamping their fleet with new vehicles.

Color schemes of police vehicles vary according to their location and which directorate they belong to.

Traffic Police:

Kia Sorento Traffic Police cruisers:

The Tourist Police at the pramids use a type of vehicle, not used by ANY other police force in the world...CAMELS :lol: :

They are used because they are much better suited for the terrain in the pyramids.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^

Thanks! I will post some police pics but i feel pretty lazy now. :)

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cairo Police, Civil Defense and Ambulance respond to Khan Al Khalili Bombing (Feb 23, 2009)

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cairo Civil Defense respond to appartment blaze, July 7 2009.

Very good video, check out close up footage of fireman as they arrive at 2:00:

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol As a force, the Egyptian police are very effective. But when placed in the wrong hands (i.e ordered to torture goverment oppositions) things get ugly. Hoever the torture which is ordered by the govt, wont be conducted by tourist police or traffic police for example as they arent involved in these types of incidents unlike the general police. And the general police when not ordered to toruture are pretty strong.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In Egypt there are many different branches of police. There is traffic police, tourist and antiquities police, an the general police (just known as the police). The traffic police is responsible for enforcing traffic laws, the tourism and antiquities police are based on all tourist sites and museums and protect them. The police are responsible for public law enforfcement.

What I meant is that, the 'general' police are strong and good. BUT they are at the service of the regime. Yes they keep calm and order but sometimes they are ordered against their will to arrest govrernment oppositions and torture them. Most of the time they dont want to, but if they refuse the regime will fire them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So the police are brutal when ordered.

I realise that is not the fault of the individual cops, but it is the fault of the police management. In either case, changes are obviously needed.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cairo Civil Defense respond to a Bus on Fire :nuts: in Dokki, Cairo. Cairo Civil Defense units arrived on scene within 6 minutes of receiving the call, and had the blaze controlled with 15 mins of receiving the call.

Very detailed video, may look bad in beginning but fast forward a bit and you'll see live footage right next to the bus and right next to firemen.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An unidentified injured Serbian tourist is is moved from an ambulance by paramedics into a hospital in Hurghada, Egypt, Thursday, July 16, 2009. An Egyptian police official says a tour bus carrying mostly Serbians has crashed into a truck on the way to Egypt's Red Sea coast, killing 12 people, including nine tourists. (AP Photo/Ibrahim el-Shazly)

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New Volkswagen Crafter Ambulance for Egypt:

I was surprised when I saw these new ambulances, the orange ones were still brand new and arrived just 8 months ago. So I went up to the paramedics and asked them, and they told me that the yellow Volkswagen Crafter ones are handy for big crashes or disasters happen, because they carry more patients than the orange ones. But he told me that just because theres a crash it doesnt mean that the orange ones wont go, he said dispatch always selects the nearest available ambulance (wheather its yellow or orange.)

Ambulance Stations dotted regualry on the Wadi El Natroun & North Coast Highways:

I had a personal experience with the Ambulance service last month, and a good one at that. I was with my uncle and we went to check up on his house under construction just outside of Cairo, when one of the construction workers (who was diabetic) suddenly collapsed. We ran up to him, and he would not respond. We quickly dialed 123 (ambulance number), gave our name location and whats wrong. I knew first aid, so I quickly checked his pulse, thank god there was one. We moved him into the shade and applied a cool wet towel on his forehead, and cleared his airway. But soon enough we heard a faint siren getting closer and closer and blue lights appeared in the distancethe ambulance had arrived within 3 minutes of our phonecall!! And I found the shining yellow ambulance outside the front garden. The paramedics quickly got out brought the stretcher and a kit, they checked his vitals put him on the stretcher and quickly moved him into the ambulance, where I saw them place an oxygen mask on him. The patient's brother was already at the house before he collapsed and he accompanied him to the hospital in the ambulance. He later told us that they arived at Sheikh Zayed Hospital in 15 minutes, and his brother was now recovering. I was very impressed!

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Emergency Medical Service Call Center Ambulance Project

The Emergency Medical Service Call Center Ambulance Project, a joint effort between MCIT (Ministry of Communication and Information Technology) and the Ministry of Health and Population, was established to develop the Emergency Medical Service (EMS) system in the Greater Cairo area, which covers the Cairo, Giza and Qalioubiya governorates.

The project will provide the Egyptian Ambulance Services Authority with a computerized ambulance dispatch system for the target area, and improve the speed and efficiency of service through:

- Optimization of control center processes: digital recording of incoming emergency calls and use of a database system will reduce call response time and facilitate provision of information to ambulance crews before they arrive at the scene of emergency
- Redistribution of ambulance medical units to provide more even coverage
- Adoption of relevant technology: Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) and Geographic Information System (GIS) applications will facilitate control centers’ management and monitoring of the ambulance fleet
http://mcit.gov.eg/ProjectDetails.aspx?id=xXMOVI44Hcg=&type=ICT for Health

:banana::banana: Finally, our Ambulance service is equivalent to that of first world countires. They got the new ambulances, the new crew and this was the only thing needed. Beofre this, a telephone agent would receive the call, transfer it to a dispatcher, the dispatcher would then figure out which is the closest ambulance using a map, and contact them via a 2-way radio.

NOW, the call will be received in one control room. Where there will be huge screen with a digital map showing the positions of all the ambulances using the GPS, AVL, and GIS technology. The computer will autmoatcally find the closest one for dispatch, and the dispatcher will contact the ambulance through the radio, and be able to give all the information to the ambulance crews automatically, electronically.

This can reduce response time by a good 5 mins, enough to save someone's life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had read on the newspapers that paramedic services and hospitals are now allowed to have helicopters and that they're in the process of purchasing some. is that true?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts