Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's showtime folks!!! :cheers:

Begins tomorrow (August 6) and continues until August 15 at the Brisbane Showgrounds.

Remember this is the last one before it's huge redevelopment and this is reflected in the theme of 'Forever Changing'.

Ticket Prices

Adult: $23

Concession: $17*

Child (aged 5-14): $13

Child under 5 years: FREE

Family A (two adults + two children): $57

Family B (one adult + one child): $32

Pass outs are available on each day from the gates and apply only on day visiting the Show.

Internet site - http://www.ekka.com.au/
Very slow at the time of posting!!!

TV ad

Channel Nine Brisbane (QTQ9) Promo. They are the official TV broadcaster under the theme 'Nine for Ekka'

Version 1

Version 2

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be good if they followed Sydney by including public transport in the ticket price to stop people from driving and perhaps bring a few extra people in.

Once inside, there are plenty of activities that wont cost extra

Free things to do at the Show
There are 1001 things to do at the Show, so boredom is not an option. Here are a few of the best experiences on offer at Ekka 2009 that are all included in the cost of your entry ticket:

•Watch The Ten Tenors, Magicians and Acrobats at the Nova Stage

•Get your fashion fix at The Coffee Club Fashion Parades

•Learn cooking techniques, find fantastic recipes and be inspired to cook delicious food at The Taste of Queensland Kitchen

•See action packed Fireworks, V8 Super Utes and Stunt Jet Trucks at Ekka IgNITE

•Learn how to dress for your body shape at The Fashion Workshops

•See Bob Evans, Evermore and Paul Dempsey concerts at Nova Live & Loud

•Middle Eastern dance performances on the International Food Village Stage

•See a newborn lamb take its first steps and first drink at Sunny Queen Little Miracles Newborn Corner

•Kids can pot their own sunflower seeds to take home at SignatureBrisbane Interactive Backyards

•Spot a dinosaur, learn how to make a Sherbet Fizz, taste some honey on the Ekka Learning Trail

•Find your 30 minutes of adrenaline at the outdoor rock wall challenge, brought to you by the Queensland Government - located at R-14 on the Ekka Map

They even compared the cost for a family in comparison to a day at the movies and Dreamworld - http://www.ekka.com.au/inner.aspx?pageID=533&mainID=525

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Yeah not sure why they haven't stitched up a deal with TransLink to include PT in the price of admission, like major sporting events. However if you do drive, there aren't a great deal of places to park around the Ekka grounds anyway, well not cheaply as it's all hospital parking.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the carparks are in the CBD and Fortitude Valley and thats what the EKKA website recommend if you do drive and then fork out around $8 for a cab. Not cheap at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah not sure why they haven't stitched up a deal with TransLink to include PT in the price of admission, like major sporting events. However if you do drive, there aren't a great deal of places to park around the Ekka grounds anyway, well not cheaply as it's all hospital parking.
That the Ekka Station is in a stand-alone zone and costs extra to get to by train doesn't make sense. It is not like it costs more to use the Exhibition Line for a few days - don't goods trains and other trains not in passenger service use the line to get to the Bowen Hills yards?

BTW I'm suprised they have not Translink-ed the station yet to give the impression to out of town visitors that Brisbane public transport is slick, modern and efficient!

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You made a very good day of it and thank you for sharing those photos. It's a shame that you didnt take the regular camera.

Interesting to note the highrises that have popped up around the site as of late especially on the Fortitude Valley side of it.

First time I have also seen Subway selling their food at a royal show..

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Nice pics! Thanks!

Turns out I can't get there this year... I'm not sure what to do... This will be the first year of my entire life that I haven't been to the Ekka. It's catastrophic. I've got the shakes...

Maybe I'll squeeze in just a few hours on Saturday. A strawberry icecream, a dagwood dog, a ride on the hangover and some fireworks would give me my annual Ekka fix.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Katy Perry at the EKKA yesterday (Courier Mail)

Meanwhile Crowds are down by up to 20 %

From The Courier Mail

Brisbane Ekka 2009 People's Day crowds down 20 per cent
By Rodney Chester
August 13, 2009 12:00am

PEOPLE'S Day at the Ekka yesterday had everything from champion fish to parading poodles. The only thing missing was more people.

RNA officials said yesterday's crowd continued the trend of being about 20 per cent down on last year's figures.

Are you Ekka-ing this year? Why/why not?
Brisbane Ekka 2009 in picturesThe crowd size hasn't reached the disappointment of the 2007 show, where a flu epidemic caused a 30 per cent drop in crowd size, but it continues to dominate discussion of this year's Exhibition.

RNA chief executive Jonathan Tunny yesterday chose not to focus on numbers but on the experience enjoyed by those who came to the show.

"Queenslanders have been coming out in great numbers for the show today," Mr Tunny said.

"Our competition entries this year were well above last year, so we're very happy with that.

"There's still three more days of jampacked activity throughout the show, so we're saying to Queenslanders come on down to enjoy the perfect weather and the great competitions and entertainment."

Where some look at the showbag pavilion and see gaps in the crowd, Mr Tunny calls it "an opportunity" for someone to come and fill that spot.

And the message that the Ekka has something to offer that you just don't see anywhere else is reinforced when you walk around the grounds.

Yesterday, the sales yard was filled by a crowd who were engrossed by the unusual competition in which a team of farriers shoe a giant horse.

Each team is made up of three hot and sweaty blokes who have to make a pair of horseshoes to measure and fit them on to one of six clydesdales that are squeezed into the arena.

Where else but the Ekka can you see a spectator sport that combines a red hot meal with a 900kg animal and the aroma of charred hoof as the shoe burns in?

The grand parade of champions – the highlight of People's Day – included Doug Farmer, of Chambers Flat, who led out the four-year-old miniature horse Meadow Lane Majesty' Falcon.

The breed of horses was used in the mines 100 years ago, but now they have a new role.

"Instead of having guide dogs in America, they're using miniature horses because a dog only lasts about 10 years but these last about 30," Mr Farmer said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts