Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
It's such a shame that most of the old Dresden was destroyed in WW2. I'm sure that nowadays it would be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Well, Dresden could again easily be...if it wanted to be. Great reconstruction efforts have already been made, but they somehow seem reluctant to go all the way. It would be quite easy and effective, to just tear down the ugly Kulturpalast, the two or three commieblocks along Wilsdruffer Street and several commieblocks on Hauptstraße (on the other side of the river), to dramatically expand the reconstructed Altstadt (Old City). But they chose not to. When they had the chance, to replace some of the commieblocks on Hauptstraße, they did it with buildings just as fugly and cheap:

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Despite its relatively small size the old town really has a lot to offer and i loved my time there, the new town was pleasant as well. I personally think it is one of the prettiest city centers in Europe, but its surrounds are not. Thanks for the pics.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Dresden could again easily be...if it wanted to be. Great reconstruction efforts have already been made, but they somehow seem reluctant to go all the way. It would be quite easy and effective, to just tear down the ugly Kulturpalast, the two or three commieblocks along Wilsdruffer Street and several commieblocks on Hauptstraße (on the other side of the river), to dramatically expand the reconstructed Altstadt (Old City). But they chose not to. When they had the chance, to replace some of the commieblocks on Hauptstraße, they did it with buildings just as fugly and cheap:

Yes, you're completely right. When I saw that "Kulturpalast" and that young communist Girl with the raised Hand trying to tell something in a complete rage and that background Mural - I was standing actually speechless, I tought that I would never ever on the European Soil see reminders of those Times. NEVER EVER! But, past is something no one can get easily rid off...I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts